Hello All

A

Adoran

Just want to introduce myself, my name is Ryan. I've been using my airbrushing for about two years, but recently I've started looking at airbrushing as its own hobby. I used my airbrushes for models and model railroad. I think I've got the basics down on trouble shooting issues like paint thinning and brush cleaning, so I hope I'm ready to start really learning how to paint. I've never considered myself very artistic, but sometimes I surprise myself with my finished products.

My first brush was a Harbor Freight single action that I used for simple jobs. Two years ago I bought a Neo for Iwata gravity feed which I still use. Since I'm new airbrushing I'm going for the "shotgun" approach of trying different brushes to see what works for me. I'm trying a few Master Airbrushes right now, and I'm planning on buying an Iwata Eclipse in the near future.

I've done A LOT of different hobbies, and love to learn about new things. I also like to try different tools and tricks. I'm not afraid to purchase or tryout "cheap tools", and I've had pretty good luck. I find that they often help you learn, and often times end up being part of your arsenal. I also understand how spending a few extra bucks can make life a lot easier.

I'm all over the place when it comes to paints. I've got everything from Testors enamels to Walmart craft paints. Between plastic models, model railroad, RC airplanes, and my kids crafts I think I have just about every kind of paint you can buy. $1 flat black poster paint can make the inside of a train tunnel just as black as expensive paint:)

Thank you for having me, and I look forward to learning more.

Welcome to the forum Ryan, I see your in the US and looks like you have some gear to start with. An eclipse will do you well, they're a brush that beginners and pro's use so you can't go wrong with one. Have you decided what you want to paint yet? You don't need to be able to draw masterpieces to airbrush. If you want some practise sheets there are a few on the airbrush tutors site, (can someone pop the link in the thread plz) There is an Eye, Cameron Diaz and a Leopard to practice. They're better than dots and daggers and since you already have some control and experience these would be good to start your "artistic" airbrushing journey if that's where you want to go. Other than that we're here to help if you need any, just shout out in the shout box or pop a new thread up and some one will get back to you pretty quickly here as we have world wide members there's almost always someone about who can help.

Lee

I've been using mostly Testors and Tamiya for my modeling needs. I've used a few cheap Walmart craft paints for weathering, and have had good success. If I start doing more airbrush specific art is there a good "go to" paint?

Hi Ryan,

I got into airbrush art the same way.

I've got an Iwata Eclipse and found it does everything I need.

In terms of paints, one factor is what you want to paint on, (T Shirts, metal, illustration board etc.).

I use Createx wicked detail as it is quite adaptable but, I'm thinking of trying out ETAC.

Take a look at the 'airbrush-paints' thread, where there is some good info and people who know far more about it than me can help.

Happy painting.

Chris G

I know what you mean about cheap tools, but in the case of airbrushing and learning fine detail, an inferior brush can actually hold you back. Not that those brushes can't do it, if you get a good one. But they are made from cheap materials, that don't usually last, and although they can be made to work, the fighting and persuading, is taking concentration away from technique. And they really don't perform the same as a decent brush. The eclipse is a great choice. If I were you, I would just go straight for that.

I would also stick to airbrush specific paints, which have a much finer ground pigment. This means you can use lower pressure which gives the finer control, and less overspray, needed for a lot of work.

Just want to introduce myself, my name is Ryan. I've been using my airbrushing for about two years, but recently I've started looking at airbrushing as its own hobby. I used my airbrushes for models and model railroad. I think I've got the basics down on trouble shooting issues like paint thinning and brush cleaning, so I hope I'm ready to start really learning how to paint. I've never considered myself very artistic, but sometimes I surprise myself with my finished products.

My first brush was a Harbor Freight single action that I used for simple jobs. Two years ago I bought a Neo for Iwata gravity feed which I still use. Since I'm new airbrushing I'm going for the "shotgun" approach of trying different brushes to see what works for me. I'm trying a few Master Airbrushes right now, and I'm planning on buying an Iwata Eclipse in the near future.

I've done A LOT of different hobbies, and love to learn about new things. I also like to try different tools and tricks. I'm not afraid to purchase or tryout "cheap tools", and I've had pretty good luck. I find that they often help you learn, and often times end up being part of your arsenal. I also understand how spending a few extra bucks can make life a lot easier.

I'm all over the place when it comes to paints. I've got everything from Testors enamels to Walmart craft paints. Between plastic models, model railroad, RC airplanes, and my kids crafts I think I have just about every kind of paint you can buy. $1 flat black poster paint can make the inside of a train tunnel just as black as expensive paint:)

Thank you for having me, and I look forward to learning more.
hi Ryan, welcome to the forum. my name is shawn and I started 2 weeks ago. I purchased the Paasche VL and within the next week I am purchasing the eclipse.. I don't have an artistic bone in my body and I am having a load of fun. I do the stuff from airbrushtutor.com and that I find is very helpful. I do a lot of dots, lines, dagger strokes.... blends... ... all the people on here have been more than helpful and you don't wait long to get responses.... have fun.

I know what you mean about cheap tools, but in the case of airbrushing and learning fine detail, an inferior brush can actually hold you back. Not that those brushes can't do it, if you get a good one. But they are made from cheap materials, that don't usually last, and although they can be made to work, the fighting and persuading, is taking concentration away from technique. And they really don't perform the same as a decent brush. The eclipse is a great choice. If I were you, I would just go straight for that.

I would also stick to airbrush specific paints, which have a much finer ground pigment. This means you can use lower pressure which gives the finer control, and less overspray, needed for a lot of work.

I got comfortable with the Neo, and I know it exceeds my skill level. Once I felt like I wanted to expand my airbrushing I gave the Masters a try. I got the gravity feed with three needles and the siphon feed. Thankfully they both spray great, and for under $50 I got 2 2/3 more airbrushes:) The chrome came right out of the siphon cup on the first spray:( oh well, they're sending a new one. You gotta pay to learn! I also found that ink pen springs can replace air brush springs if you happen to squeeze it between your fingers and send it flying. The ink pen spring makes the trigger really smooth.

Welcome aboard.
Many of us started with the airbrush and non art applications. But it seems to be a natural progression to try your hand at Art.
We're all here to help.

Well it looks like I'm going to have to grab some Createx paint and get started sprayin' dots. Any reason a bottle of Wicked black and some reducer 4012 would serve we well to get started?

get a bigger bottle of reducer than paint. You'll use a lot more reducer than paint.
Get the exercise sheets downloaded and your air hooked up, load up your favourite tunes and blast away.

After an evening of just making black spots on paper I have to say I'm a big fan of the Createx paint. I'm sure that's no big shock to you guys:). I found it real easy to mix and spray. I used my Neo with a MAC valve borrowed from my cheap brush. I played around with mixtures and pressures with no real plan of attack. It ranged from tiny lines to splattered mess. Really helped me get a good feel for what the brush can do. Thank you for the help everyone.

just make sure you give it a good clean when you finish for the day. dump excess paint, run cleaner and water through it, remove and wipe down the needle, spray out some more water / cleaner without the needle in (don't angle the brush backwards or you'll wind up with painty water at the back of the needle packing where you don't want it.
replace the now clean needle and secure everything the youre good for the next session.
get into the habit of spraying a little water through the brush before starting for the day, it will show if you have a good / bad spray pattern and that the brush is working as it should before you load it up with paint and having to dump the lot because the brush isn't as clean as you thought it was.

side note, if you're mixing reducer and paint in the cup, then add the reducer first, then the paint and GENTLY backflush or put a lid on the cup and shake.

Picked up an Eclipse today at Hobby Lobby along with some more Createx paint. I'm interested to see how it sprays compared to the other brushes.

Back