Hello Everyone!

Jurien72

Have Airbrush - Will Travel!
Hi there! I'm Jim. I'm kinda new at airbrushing. I work as an over-the-road truck driver, so I don't get much time for practice. However I get plenty of time to sit around, watch videos and chat online! I mostly paint plastic models and RC car bodies. I would like to learn more about "artistic" airbrushing techniques, which is difficult for me since I don't have an artistic bone in my body!

Welcome Jim.
Rest assured that having artistic bones is not a requirement to being able create artistic works. I'm one of the many members here that are proof of that. It just makes the journey a little more interesting. lol
Research in your 'down time' won't hurt either. read lots, ask question and then read/watch some more. The terminology will soon start to make sense.
Whatever you do don't buy a "kit". They're rarely worth the money, check in here first where you will get an honest response

Hey Jim, welcome from the UK. If you have plenty of time to chat, you'll fit right in. Plenty of talkers around here . Obviously not me (cough, cough,don't look at my post count!).

Soak up all the info you can, and then when you get the chance, it'll be there ready to go. I hope you can set aside practise time though, as putting it into practise is the best way to go. Any chance you can get a portable set up to take on the road with you if you get any down time?

Thanks for the warm welcome! I guess I should add that I'm in the US, and I currently own a Paasche HS, a VLST, and my new toy is a H&S Infinity. For a compressor I use a Craftsman shop-type jobbie. I was never all that impressed by the airbrush "kits"- I don't like having to buy a bunch of stuff in one box that I probably don't want or have no use for. For the same money I bought a compressor that can fill up my car tires and all that.

I have been thinking about getting a setup for out on the road... after all, I have a 450hp air compressor at my disposal. ;) Not sure how many gallons this thing holds, but I'm sure it would supply an airbrush! A good filter would be a must- no telling what kinda junk is in the system.

I can't seem to figure out how to post a pic here- was gonna show an example of just how non-artistic I am lol.

Hope everyone has a great day!

to post a picture just go to 'upload a file' at the bottom right corner of the reply box, locate the file and upload.

Hi Jim, welcome to the forum! Don't you worry about not being "artistic." There are plenty of ways that we can get you producing nice pieces. So, get your gear up and running and we'll guide you through the rest. So what kind of projects do you think you'd like to do?

I figured out that my file size was too big... oops :) thats why the pic wouldn't upload.

Yeah, if you look at my avatar, that's where my skill level is at lol. I was just looking through the gallery and I'm thinkin Wow, there's no way I'll ever do that! I really don't have any specific projects in mind- at this point I'm more concerned with learning the basics and just having fun with it!

Airbrush boxes should come with a government warning!

Airbrush boxes should come with a government warning!

lol, yes! Warning airbrushing is addictive. May cause ADD (airbrush acquisition disorder, and ATO(airbrush technique obsession) lol.

You will 100% surprise yourself with what you can achieve. When I started I didn't even know you were supposed to reduce paint. Or what a double action airbrush really was.

Oh thats a relief... My friend thought it was a squirrel lol :whistling:

I definitely have AAD... I think the #1 AB on ebay must be the Paasche H.

I definitely have AAD... I think the #1 AB on ebay must be the Paasche H.

No !! you don't ever sell any of them :eek: They deserve a forever home and lovingly polished once in awhile, and if you really feel the need to give them some loving you actually use them to paint with occasionally

Who said anything about selling them??? I wanna buy them! Spraygunner sells these nifty little H&S display stands... I can just see a few (cough... hundred) ABs perfectly lined up in my display case at home.

phew, thank goodness for that !! I was worried there for a minute.

Spray gunner is good, I've bought from him and he was very helpful and shipped happily to Australia, quick shipping...... I didn't know he did display stands... THANKS for that bit of information, now I HAVE TO go and look :eek:

as you were........ they weren't what I thought they would be, not buying LOL

Last edited:
I seriously wonder if there would be much of a market for various display stands? I saw one that resembled a samurai sword holder...

Everyone knows Lego men torches make the best airbrush holders :D

Oh yeah !! I forgot about them.........

ca2c5a32f0dc83da4433b08d6bd84af9.jpg

OMG... I cannot rest until I have dozens of these!!!

...now I'm wondering if a Gundam could be modified to hold an airbrush...

Back