Hello fellow airbrush artists / first post

L

Leeman

Hi everyone,

My name is Lee of Sheffield UK and I've been airbrushing casually for about 9mnths or so. My key skills aren't bad , daggers and shades pretty good and I've tried mich's eye tutorial , I've been practicing on glass with the tutorial reference underneath as suggested by josh seaman to improve my sensitivity , much less forgiving than paper and easily erased with a blade, but I've stopped because I need to improve my figure 8 texturing and learn how to apply it over the eye. My immediate question is how do you improve your outlining skills, following drawn lines without wavering or mistakes. I've been trying to copy a tattoo design of a hanging eye and I,m getting sick of having to erase and retry over and over because of mistakes trying to follow lines. I understand to start as light as possible and build up your tones but mistakes are still happening and its gotta stop. Any advice would be so very welcome , I really want to progress . Hello again to the forum members

Welcome to the forum from the US.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Welcome home Lee
As for your question practice , But most waver when doing lines slowly. Try speeding up when doing lines.
It is a matter of sometimes over thinking a process that makes the mistakes.
When you get a couple more post . Put up a picture of what you are talking about it might help us help you better.

Welcome from Canada, l still struggle with the same problem. I find that putting my little finger on my canvas helps to steady me a bit. :)

thanks for the reply's and welcomes , all sound advice. I'll post more in the future . I guess practice, focus , confidence , increased speed and determination combined will get me there eventually. Good to know the advice is there when I need it. I gotta sleep its 3.20 a.m UK... till next time....

Hi Leeman. Welcome to the forum. I'm Pauly, I'm from Buffalo, NY. I agree with Mr. Milcron. I found that speeding up (not too fast) helps with wiggling and gets my accuracy much better. As I like to say when I teach my drawing classes or I do my caricatures is to have conviction of your line. But can you explain what you mean by using glass? Do you actually paint on glass?

Hi Lee, its great that you are practicing on glass, I dont do it nearly enough :) (the seamonky will be pleased)
as soon as you are able to, please post a pic of your wavering line. what I have found a usefull tip is to not expect my lines to be a once of spray in one pass. over reducing your paint (with reducer AND clear base) means you can then build up your your darker areas and any wavering or missed lines are not nearly as obvious. I started using black, and there is so much less room for error. I then got my hands on paynes grey and transparent smoke, SOOO much easier to build up to where you want. the next issue with reduction is matching the PSI to how thin your paint is. what paint are you using? what airbrush do you have? do you know what psi you are running?

hope this helps :)

edit: Pauly - yes, paint straight onto glass, because spidering happens so much earlier it teaches control a lot quicker.

hey bro welcome from cambs uk!!.... another little trick is to cut curvy blob shapes in paper and use the edge as a shield.... you will find what works for you mate, there are so many ways of doing every little thing and over time you will realise this.... have a mental breakdown due to complete confusion... but then pick up a way that u really like

all the v best

Hi Pauly,

thanks for the greeting, to answer your question.... on you tube the airbrush artist josh seaman suggested it, take a framed old picture and place reference material e.g. mich's eye tutorial behind the glass, or a sheet with dots to practice lines, or maybe a circle to practice shades etc and when your done just scrape it off with a craft blade and go again, good for newbies. painting on glass also teaches you to use sensitivity much more too, my lines.... I have found holding my breath helps my lines but I need to relax and let it flow , I'm sure iii will get there .....

Hi Pauly,

thanks for the greeting, to answer your question.... on you tube the airbrush artist josh seaman suggested it, take a framed old picture and place reference material e.g. mich's eye tutorial behind the glass, or a sheet with dots to practice lines, or maybe a circle to practice shades etc and when your done just scrape it off with a craft blade and go again, good for newbies. painting on glass also teaches you to use sensitivity much more too, my lines.... I have found holding my breath helps my lines but I need to relax and let it flow , I'm sure iii will get there .....

Lee
On here we just call Joshie boy the Monkey man....LOL
But yes it is a good way to learn how to control how the paint flows on a hard surface.

Funny thing you mention glass. When I learnt how to spraypaint (still learning as I go) it was mentioned that if you can spray glass without runs, then you CAN spraypaint.

As far as your question goes for the straight lines, I watched airbrush tutor, or as the forum would call him, abt. Doing a portrait of Denise Richards and I payed more attention in what he does with his hands than what he was painting.
I noticed that he uses his left hand to steady his right hand and with his pinky finger extended on his left he makes very slight contact with the canvas, or at least that is what it seems like. Good for two reasons, 1 he maintains the same distance from his work piece while moving and two his hand are more steady.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Flycatchr , I've been using wicked black reduced 75/25 and I can get real faint starter lines and build up ok, I've realised just how high your sensitivity needs to be, just that first couple of millimetres is key, but fighting tip dry is a pain even at that reduction but its part of the game, I keep a reducer wetted small sponge in my left hand to nip the dry away, I vary the psi with the inline air valve through my krome with the .3 needle and found too low psi causes a stippled line , I might try the .2 and see if I have any better luck,

Hi Lee, speed and relaxation will definately help. Any tension in your body will get transferred and even magnified in your grip on the brush. You are probably overthinking it, (I am an offender LOL), maybe try to slightly distract yourself with your favourite song or something.

welcome from honduras,hope you can call this place home as i do!!!:loyal:

Greetings Ulltraz , good to be here .... diamond people on this forum , feels like home yes ,

Back