Hello from Georgia

J

Jeffesh

Hi all,

I like to build model rockets and was using spray paint. But after yet another can sprayed ricotta cheese like textured paint, I wanted to have more control over my paint. So I got a Paasche H and a compressor with a tank and am loving it.

There is definitely a learning curve. I had some problems thinning paint at first and I still struggle with getting the right pressure but I'm already seeing better results than with spray cans.

I have mostly painted solid blocks of colors or stripes on my models, but I hope to learn to do some fades and maybe work my way up to some old school hot rod flames.

I love the variety of colors available. The first rocket I painted with my airbrush was iridescent purple and I got many compliments when I launched it.

I look forward to meeting you all and learning from you!

Hi Jeffesh. Welcome from the the UK. I'm sure guys are going to be interested in your rockets, (meaning we are all nosy) so post up some pics if you like. :) Lots to learn here, and if you get the bug, I bet you'll soon be looking for other things to paint too, that's the way it usually goes lol.

Welcome, oh you'll find lots of valuable info here from some amazing artists that are always willing to point you in the right direction. I've only been here for a couple of months and it's been great. I started just wanting to paint my RC cars, now I'm selling them to upgrade my airbrush equipment.

Welcome to the orange Forum, I did a few rocket builds back in the day,Found out the best color to paint them was as bright as I could get them so I could find them after a launch:sour::sour::sour:

Welcome from New Zealand. rockets are very cool. Especially the recovery systems!

Welcome from Australia,
Many of us started with one goal and its turned into painting anything that stands still

Welcome to the forum, what paint are you using? You said you were struggling a bit with reductions so let us know what your using and someone will probably be able to tell you a good reduction recipe. A good working air pressure is 1.5 to 2 bar so between 21 and 28 psi. Any lower than 21 psi and you will need to reduce the paint more and more which probably won't suit your needs with the rockets. Anyway I'm rambling, if you need help have a search as there is a ton of info or post up your problem if you can't find what your looking for. Good luck

Lee

Thanks for all the kind words. I've been too busy lately to build rockets or use my airbrush, but my wife went out of town for a few days so I have more free time. :)

Today on my lunch break I bought some AutoAir paints and some frisket sheets. Tonight I plan to experiment with the frisket to make a shape that is not composed of straight lines. Up til now I've been limited to masking tape but the frisket looks very useful. Freehand airbrushing seems a bit beyond me at this point until I practice much more, but I'll get there eventually.

depending on what you are sticking the frisket to (unpainted vs painted) you may need to de-tack the frisket by laying it on your shirt first.

I'm attempting to upload a picture of a scale model of a UK Seawolf missile. It is the first rocket I used my airbrush on. I only did the red nose cone with the airbrush.

This one flew about 400-500 meters. I don't know for sure because my altimeter got destroyed in a crash before I launched this one.

Attachments

• IMG_1741.JPG
    IMG_1741.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 4
This photo shows the last I painted with rattle cans.

Attachments

• IMG_1743.JPG
    IMG_1743.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 5
Back