Hello from Montana, USA

J

Jasmine

Hi! I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Jasmine and I am completely new to airbrushing. In fact, I am still waiting for my equipment to show up. I have ordered an Iwata Eclipse HP-CS airbrush and a Sprint-Jet compressor and I am hoping that it will be here this week!

I have always wanted to learn to airbrush and I even dabbled in it a little bit many years ago but I never had the proper equipment. My husband encouraged me to try again but this time with quality equipment. He does have an agenda though, he is an RC hobbiest and wants me to paint his models for him. Of course, I am excited to do so, but I am most interested in painting for my own pleasure. I want to master airbrushing technique and be able to paint on any surface. I am absolutely blown away by the artwork I have seen here and I only hope to be able to eventually contribute to this site.

I have somewhat of a background in art, I am mostly self taught and have little professional training. I have apprenticed with local artists here in Montana, painting and sculpting. I am a henna artist and have always just been a creative person in general. I am excited to learn and become a part of this creative community!

Welcome from Canada, you have come to the right place, you will find all you need to answer all of your questions, and if you do not find ask away, there is always someone ready to help. :)

Welcome home Jasmine , RC model are fun but different being most paint them on the inside of the body so the paint job is applied backwards .
But they all start with dots, dagger strokes and fades /blends.

Thank you for the warm welcome! I am so excited to get started. I know I will only be painting dots and lines for quite some time but I'm ok with that, lol. The RC models I will be painting are mostly airplanes and quadcopters. Two of my sons have monster trucks though and for those I would be painting inside the covers. I used to paint window displays so I think it is much the same technique, painting from foreground to background. Luckily those two shatter covers like no tomorrow, so I'll get plenty of practice, lol.

Well with a background in window painting you will have no problems :D
Yes dots and daggers but also paint something like roses , skulls or what ever else you my want to . Save it to compare later after you get some more time under your belt and see just how much you improve .

Hi Jasmine, welcome from the uk! MAny of us here are self taught with the help of the fab folks around here, who are so generous with their time and advice, and with your art background I think you are going to love it, welcome to your new addiction.

I am admittedly biased because I also have the HP-CS, bit I think you have bought a great brush. It is great to learn on, easy to strip down if needed, and almost 3 years later I haven't outgrown it. It is a workhorse that is very versatile, and can produce very fine hair lines with practice. I paint on many surfaces, as you hope to do, with lots of automotive, so I think you have made a good choice :)

Have you given any thoughts to what type of paint you will use? I use Wicked by createx, and W500 reducer, as again it is an all rounder and can be used on practically any surface, from metal and paper, to fabric and leather, and is also lightfast which could be useful for the RC's. If you are leaning towards a particular type of painting e.g. fine art, then something like the createx illustration line (which is re-wetable), E'tac or com art may be more suitable.

Don't be shy about showing those dots and daggers, only constructive criticism here, and a bit of a pointer (if needed) can save hours. And if you don't need advice, then some encouragement and knowing you're on the right track is always on hand :) Enjoy the forum!

Hi Squishy! Thanks for the welcome :)

Paint was actually going to be my next question. I have read quite a bit and I was pretty sure the Createx paints were where I was headed, I really wasn't sure which line to start with though, so thank you for the advice! I ordered a small Iwata Medea paint set at the time that I ordered my brush and compressor in the hopes that it would get me started putting paint to paper. I hope to order some Createx in the very near future though. Do you know anything about people using Windex to thin regular acrylic paint? I was wondering how this worked out for painting on paper or even just to practice. I live in a pretty small area and have to order paint online so I was wondering if this would work in a pinch.

I really tried to research products before I bought anything and I found that most everyone suggested the Iwata brand and I finally decided on the HP-CS because I knew I wanted gravity fed and I liked the idea of the larger cup. I can not wait to get it and start spraying!

I'll do my best to get over my stage fright and post some of my practice sheets. I would never have thought to post them here and ask for advice. Forums can be scary, mean places sometimes, it is refreshing to find that it is the opposite here!

Welcome from Washington State and I love your enthusiasm, you will fit in here nicely. Heres a formula Ive used (link below) for a reducer although I ended up just buying the Createx 4012 high performance reducer. Its usually best to go with the complimentary reducer with the paint you have. But in a pinch I have used just distilled water with a drop of glycerin (this was mixed in a 4oz bottle).
http://jason-jones.com/articles/106-airbrushing/302-homemade-reducer

That's great, thank you!

I am super excited to get started. Even more so since finding this community. I have been reading through different threads and everyone is so helpful. Everything I ordered shipped today so I should be practicing by the weekend!

Welcome to the forum. My mom and dad live in Corvallis not to far from you!This is the best forum you can join Because the people on here are willing to help with anything you might have a question about from paint to how to do a photo in photoshop so it looks like what you want it to look like
Enjoy your self and have fun while your at it!!

Hi Squishy! Thanks for the welcome :)

Paint was actually going to be my next question. I have read quite a bit and I was pretty sure the Createx paints were where I was headed, I really wasn't sure which line to start with though, so thank you for the advice! I ordered a small Iwata Medea paint set at the time that I ordered my brush and compressor in the hopes that it would get me started putting paint to paper. I hope to order some Createx in the very near future though. Do you know anything about people using Windex to thin regular acrylic paint? I was wondering how this worked out for painting on paper or even just to practice. I live in a pretty small area and have to order paint online so I was wondering if this would work in a pinch.

I really tried to research products before I bought anything and I found that most everyone suggested the Iwata brand and I finally decided on the HP-CS because I knew I wanted gravity fed and I liked the idea of the larger cup. I can not wait to get it and start spraying!

I'll do my best to get over my stage fright and post some of my practice sheets. I would never have thought to post them here and ask for advice. Forums can be scary, mean places sometimes, it is refreshing to find that it is the opposite here!

:D Make sure you get the Wicked line of Createx, as the regular kind is only really good for textiles with big nozzles and high pressure :) If you find you also want to do textiles at some point then Wicked paints are great for that too, but the regular Createx is only recommended for textiles.

With the Wicked line, the proper reducer they sell really is the best thing to use. As it has a very teeny amount of solvent it doesn't work well reduced with water. Other paints can work well with home recipes, and I guess there are people who use home made stuff, but IMO it works best with the real deal, and as the wicked reducer has other benefits like less tip dry, quicker drying, harder curing, and better surface tension on hard surfaces (with the W500 - less chance of fish eyes etc) it is well worth getting. It gives a beautiful satiny smooth finish too. If you choose to buy the reducer, you will probably use at least 4 times more reducer than paint (maybe a lot more) so it can be more cost effective to get a larger bottle.

I don't use windex, but those who do say to make sure to get the ammonia free kind. Regular acrylic paint will make life pretty difficult and frustrating, the paint pigment is too large, making control almost impossible, as well as blocking the nozzle. Proper airbrush paint pigments are ground much finer. Some generic multi purpose art stuff is marketed for a specific use, (and at higher cost LOL) when really it is just something else renamed, but not so with airbrush paint :) It really is designed specifically for the airbrush. It can seem pretty costly at first, but you will literally be measuring it out in drops, and a 2oz bottle really does go a long way.

There are no scary or mean people here:D Slightly deranged, a little bit mad, ditsy or unconventional perhaps (you know who you are LOL) so never be scared to show anything or ask anything.

:D Make sure you get the Wicked line of Createx, as the regular kind is only really good for textiles with big nozzles and high pressure :) If you find you also want to do textiles at some point then Wicked paints are great for that too, but the regular Createx is only recommended for textiles.

With the Wicked line, the proper reducer they sell really is the best thing to use. As it has a very teeny amount of solvent it doesn't work well reduced with water. Other paints can work well with home recipes, and I guess there are people who use home made stuff, but IMO it works best with the real deal, and as the wicked reducer has other benefits like less tip dry, quicker drying, harder curing, and better surface tension on hard surfaces (with the W500 - less chance of fish eyes etc) it is well worth getting. It gives a beautiful satiny smooth finish too. If you choose to buy the reducer, you will probably use at least 4 times more reducer than paint (maybe a lot more) so it can be more cost effective to get a larger bottle.

I don't use windex, but those who do say to make sure to get the ammonia free kind. Regular acrylic paint will make life pretty difficult and frustrating, the paint pigment is too large, making control almost impossible, as well as blocking the nozzle. Proper airbrush paint pigments are ground much finer. Some generic multi purpose art stuff is marketed for a specific use, (and at higher cost LOL) when really it is just something else renamed, but not so with airbrush paint :) It really is designed specifically for the airbrush. It can seem pretty costly at first, but you will literally be measuring it out in drops, and a 2oz bottle really does go a long way.

There are no scary or mean people here:D Slightly deranged, a little bit mad, ditsy or unconventional perhaps (you know who you are LOL) so never be scared to show anything or ask anything.
No I don't who are we?

Ha! Looks like I'll fit right in ;) You all are great!

Do you suppose that a big bottle of reducer and a primary color pack will carry me for awhile?

Yes, despite the small looking bottles, airbrush paint last for ages.

And welcome to the forum ;):)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back