Hello from Orange County, California

D

DannMarli

Hello everyone!

I am very new to airbrushing. I have been watching a lot of videos on YouTube and getting some tips from people.

I just bought my first kit, it is a Master Airbrush kit with G22, G25, E91 & TC-20 Air Compressor. I figure I would get my feet wet with a cheap kit before going to a better system.

Looking forward to learning from everyone!

Dan

Welcome home Dan nice to have you here.
Nothing wrong with getting an affordable kit to start just be warned that sometime affordable means headaches, But Most who have a master figure out how to make them play nice .

Welcome to the forum Dan, nothing wrong with a cheap kit to see if you like airbrushing. Hopefully you have the compressor with the tank which is better than the tank less one although that one will be ok while you learn. The airbrushes can sometimes be hit and miss but mostly they are good ones. Plenty of info here on how to make them work better if you desire.
So what do you want to paint? Do you have any paints yet?
If you find you like airbrushing then you can always upgrade and we can help if you need advice.

Lee

Welcome to the forum better know as O.A.F. Or madhouse depending on the person you talk to:D
I have a brother that lives in O.C.,I grew up out there too!
If you can't find an answer in the search,just post up the question and someone will help you out,Also what are you looking to paint?cars,bikes,pictures,shirts or anything that holds still long enough for you to paint?

Welcome to the forum Dan, nothing wrong with a cheap kit to see if you like airbrushing. Hopefully you have the compressor with the tank which is better than the tank less one although that one will be ok while you learn. The airbrushes can sometimes be hit and miss but mostly they are good ones. Plenty of info here on how to make them work better if you desire.
So what do you want to paint? Do you have any paints yet?
If you find you like airbrushing then you can always upgrade and we can help if you need advice.

Lee
Thanks Lee. It is the tankless version so we'll see how long it lasts but it's pretty darn quiet. I initially bought it to paint things/toys I print on my 3D printer for the kids but after watching people make art, I'm kind of interested in that. I got myself a set of 6 opaque createx paints and a bottle of 4030 to play with.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum better know as O.A.F. Or madhouse depending on the person you talk to:D
I have a brother that lives in O.C.,I grew up out there too!
If you can't find an answer in the search,just post up the question and someone will help you out,Also what are you looking to paint?cars,bikes,pictures,shirts or anything that holds still long enough for you to paint?
I like madness lol. Hopefully you are staying safe with the crazy weather in those parts of the country. I think pictures would be a good start plus things I make on my 3D printer. After I get the hang of it, I would like to have a go at touching up some rock chips on my car using touch-up paint. I bought a kit from Chipex and it seems thin enough that it may work, I'm just worried about clogging the airbrush but I can run paint thinner through it...maybe?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Welcome from the UK Dan. I hope you enjoy your time here. Did you also pick up some Reducer with your Createx paints? If they’re the regular Createx rather than Wicked or Illustration, they will want a fair amount of reducing to flow through the airbrush nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome from the UK Dan. I hope you enjoy your time here. Did you also pick up some Reducer with your Createx paints? If they’re the regular Createx rather than Wicked or Illustration, they will want a fair amount of reducing to flow through the airbrush nicely.

I did not! I will have to pick up some. I was holding the Wicked but a guy that randomly started talking to me lol at the hobby store talked me out of using Wicked.

I did not! I will have to pick up some. I was holding the Wicked but a guy that randomly started talking to me lol at the hobby store talked me out of using Wicked.

He was probably putting you off so he could buy it all :) Your compressor will be ok just dont run it for long periods at a time as it gets hot, try 15-20 minutes sessions, let it cool and start again. ( if you have a desk fan or similar, have it aimed at the compressor to give it some cooling).

Like @SiRoxx said, if you have the regular createx its a bit thick and likes to go through a 0.5 nozzle at a higher psi, it will go through smaller but will need thinning down. It will be fine for practising on paper, great for tshirts if you fancy that and apparently its good for lexan RC shells as well ( i was informed of that on one of the fb groups). Yeh pick up some reducer, I dont use createx much so I can never remember the number, 4012? Someone will put you right n that.

Lee

He was probably putting you off so he could buy it all :) Your compressor will be ok just dont run it for long periods at a time as it gets hot, try 15-20 minutes sessions, let it cool and start again. ( if you have a desk fan or similar, have it aimed at the compressor to give it some cooling).

Like @SiRoxx said, if you have the regular createx its a bit thick and likes to go through a 0.5 nozzle at a higher psi, it will go through smaller but will need thinning down. It will be fine for practising on paper, great for tshirts if you fancy that and apparently its good for lexan RC shells as well ( i was informed of that on one of the fb groups). Yeh pick up some reducer, I dont use createx much so I can never remember the number, 4012? Someone will put you right n that.

Lee
Absolutely what Lee said. There’s nothing wrong with regular Createx, but it’s primarily designed for T Shirt work. But it won’t stop you loading it up and having a play. Lee is also correct in that it is the 4012 High Performance Reducer.

Absolutely what Lee said. There’s nothing wrong with regular Createx, but it’s primarily designed for T Shirt work. But it won’t stop you loading it up and having a play. Lee is also correct in that it is the 4012 High Performance Reducer.

Thank you Si and Lee!

What paints do you guys recommend ? In the beginning it will probably be like 99% paper practice.

Welcome to the forum from the other side of the Rockies! I use Createx Illustrator right now. It's a bit thinner than regular Createx, but as @jord001 and @SiRoxx have both said, what you have will work just fine as long as it's reduced enough. Createx 4012 reducer is the way to go. Just be sure to use up any reduced paints within 24 - 48 hours because the reducer will set the paint up after that.

Thank you Si and Lee!

What paints do you guys recommend ? In the beginning it will probably be like 99% paper practice.
The choice of paint is kind of a personal thing. Some people get on great with Wicked, others can’t get on with it at all. It can depend a little on what you ultimately want to be painting. I want to go down the Automotive route, so I have started building up a collection of Wicked, Autoair and some Candy2o. If you want to be shooting for portraits, Etac seems to be a popular choice and Createx Illustration too. Comart is often suggested as being a nice paint to learn with as it’s not too finicky in how it’s reduced.
But ultimately the learning part is getting some paint, learn how to reduce and spray it, once you’ve got that down you can jump in and try different types.
I just did a bunch of research and figured that Wicked would be good for the type of painting I want to do.

Welcome to the forum,

Wicked and Wicked Detail will paint on just about anything out there,
you may also want to add some or all of the following to your shopping list
4004 transparent base
4012 reducer
4030 Balancing Clear - for improved performance on non-porous, hard surfaces, it helps with adhesion on plastics (eg RC bodies)

For cleaning up stubbornly dirty brushes / nozzles
4008 restorer (small bottle, as its reusable so therefore economical)

Back