Hello from Reno

F

Furiku Sho

I have had a Badger XF 100 since 1980, a Paasche VL5 since 1985. Both are driven by my ancient Badger 180-11. I am retired and currently work in leather using the Paasche w/#5 nozzle exclusively to shoot Fiebings acrylic resoline to clear coat my work. I am wondering if there is an airbrush that would be better suited for this task.

I used to paint portraits with Windsor Newton water color on hard pressed illustration board. Using the "Take Away" technique, I was able to create a '40's -ish silver screen glamor effect to the portraits. These were received quite well by my cienrs.

I now enjoy working in leather making hand guards for wooden swords and shinai, used in Japanese sword arts training.

I am thinking about about using the airbrush on leather for coloring tiny detail in flowers. I also need to mention here that I also have a Paasche ab and gravity feed pencil. Both of which I have never used.

Hi, and welcome from the UK. Is there a reason you would like a different brush your leather? Time for an upgrade perhaps? I am not familiar with that brush, so hopefully someone can suggest something comparable. But I would think something with the same nozzle size, and paint feed (siphon?) would do the trick.

The 40s style paintings sound cool, feel free to post some pics if you have them.

I have painted on leather a couple of times, and used the Iwata eclipse hp-cs. It has a .35 nozzle, but is capable of fine detail as well as larger coverage. But you seem a Badger fan and many people like the Badger Krome, I believe that is a .2? So may be more finicky for your paint choice depending on what you like to use :)

Hello and welcome aboard yep someone will chime in I,m sure.

Thank you for the warm welcome. If you are interested in seeing my current work, check out Leather Tsuba on Facebook and Instagram. It has nothing to with airbrush but it will give you an idea of my craft as a "Kawatsubashi."

Lovely leather work, It makes me want to find my bokken I had many years ago. Welcome to the forum i hope you have a good stay with us and you learn lots.

Lee

Lovely leather work, It makes me want to find my bokken I had many years ago. Welcome to the forum i hope you have a good stay with us and you learn lots.

Lee
If you do find your bokken, make sure you sand it down real good and seal it. I use teak oil. The guys in Shindo Muso ryu use boiled linseed oil and layer it on. People should treat their bokken with more respect. IT IS A WEAPON and should be cared for as such.......Then I couyld make you a tsuba.........;)

My Paasche VL 5 just won't pull my Fiebings Resolene from the jar anymore. I picked up an Iwata Neo just to spray Resolene. Very nice brush for the price. I like the action of the trigger....and it will fit the Paasche jars I have. The art store also sold me an adapter so I can use my Paasche hose.......I actually really like the Neo......I feel it was a good move for me.

Back