Hello

A

Alan Reynolds

Hello all! My name is Alan and I live in Berlin, Maryalnd. I'm a computer programmer by day and a wanna be artist. I have next to no experience with any kind of art (except photography, but that's different), but I have always been drawn to airbrushing. I actually tried to learn several years ago but didn't get very far before quitting. Lots of reasons for that, at least one of which was a lack of support. From what I've seen poking around the forums for the last hour or so, I feel like this place will help fill that gap.

As far as equipment goes, I have an Aztek A470 which I bought just before I stopped so it's several years old, but barely used. I also have a couple of inexpensive double action airbrushes although I don't remember what brand they are and they don't appear to have any markings. I still have some of the Createx paint I bought back then, both opaque and transparent, so that's what I'll be using at first. I have a small air compressor that I originally bought years ago for tire inflation and that sort of thing. However, I found out last night that it is not up to extended sessions. I barely had enough air in the tank to clean out the brush. I ordered a new, larger compressor today that should be here by Thursday.

My main goal in learning to airbrush is to do illustrations/portraits; hang it on the wall kind of stuff. Once I feel like I've gotten a handle on that, I might branch out into other areas such as t-shirts or auto/motorcycle work.

Hey there, welcome from New Zealand. Get ready for some practice, dot and daggers are your friend! Ask lots of questions, you'll be fine!

Welcome from Australia.

This is a great supportive bunch of lunatics, like you I have no art experience, cant draw for peanuts but thanks to this forum I can produce something pleasing to the eye.

Give the Aztec a good clean out and spray lots of water through it to make sure its clean, get a piece of wire, bend a small hook in one end and stir your paints really really well if they've been sitting for awhile.

Hi Allan, welcome to the forum from Dubuque IA, US. You are wright about this forum. I'm in the learning face myself. The guys and Gail's are pretty nice people here and if you ask any questions or post some of your work they will guide you in the wright direction. Good luck man.

Welcome to mitch's madhouse,also known as the orange airbrush forum or spread the love forum what ever you want to call it its a great time here,the people are all willing to help you get started and on the right track and we hope you enjoy the ride!

Welcome!
Help and support are things you will find here. Post your results and ask questions, everything will be fine. Art:)

Hi Alan, welcome to the forum from Birmingham UK. I started off with an Aztek 3000 in the late 80's It did me well for a few years, strange setup though but they were ok. I still have it and it stil works too. I had no issues with mine doing general blocking in or detailed work but as its not been used for a while give it a good clean out and spray water through it just like @JackEb suggested.
You could also mix up 75% water and 25% IPA isopropyl alchohol in a bottle to use as a flush, the IPA will give it a little bit of ummppph when cleaning.
I see you have createx paints, are they the original createx for tshirts? Give them a good mix up and then do it again to make sure. They will be ok just to blast some paint out at the start.
I would recommend that you get yourself a bottle of something else to remove any paint issues EG: wicked, createx illustration, golden, etac, comart, spectra-tex just to name a few. These paints are more suited to general use but will do detail/fine art work too and are much easier to use than the original createx although you will have to experiment with mixtures and dial them in to work with your airbrush just like we all have to. Thats where we are here to help so don't be shy to ask questions. If we can give you the answer then we usually do, and more. Happy Spraying.

Lee

Hi Alan and welcome to the forum from the Uk. A great bunch here, you will soon be creating and amazing yourself. I have no art background either, and if I can learn, anyone can.

My first piece of advice for you is to buy some new paint. The Createx you have sounds like it could be the old fabric paint. T shirt guys still use it but it I meant to be used with a gun with at least a .5 nozzle, and at high pressure, and is not ideal to learn with. Paint has improved a lot since then. If you want to stay within that brand Wicked is a multi surface all rounder, or createx illustration If you are only wanting to paint on paper, board etc. Other popular brands are E'tac, com-art, Golden, Trident . Also, paint can go off, so if it has been hanging about a few years, probably best to start with fresh.

Thanks for the warm welcome and the advice. I'll work on getting some new paint. The only art supply stores I know of within driving distance of me are Michaels and Hobby Lobby. I don't know what they keep in stock, but hopefully I can pick up a bottle or two of one of the suggestions. Otherwise I'll have to order online and just patiently wait for it to arrive.

Hi Allan, Hobby loby has a good selection of createx and wicked. I don't know about Micheles. The one here didn't.

Back