Hello

welcome from Australia Synster.
from the ebay address I'm guessing you are in the UK, Where abouts, we have a few members from there :)

do you have any paint as yet ?
what do you want to paint on - Tshirts/vehicles/RC models......

and that is far from a long intro !

welcome from Australia Synster.
from the ebay address I'm guessing you are in the UK, Where abouts, we have a few members from there :)

do you have any paint as yet ?
what do you want to paint on - Tshirts/vehicles/RC models......

and that is far from a long intro !

I am from the north west of England and mainly looking into painting on canvas and wood using the stencils supplied by UMR where you overlap each other they look very good . I also understand these people are experts so there will be a learning curve I am willing to try out. As for the paints I found some
VALLEJO MODEL AIR ACRYLIC AIRBRUSH PAINTS as I am new to this I did not know if it was possible to buy normal acrylic paints and maybe water them down a little now is this a good starter kit or could I go with something more basic like
IMAGE® Multi-purpose Gravity Feed Dual-action Airbrush Kit with Air Compressor, 3x Airbrushes and Airhose Set(0.3mm needle)

( https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008H0KAGY?psc=1)

thanks for all the welcomes I am glad to be here and hope to learn a lot.

leave that kit at amazon, the 'compressor' is a no better than an air pump for a fish tank.

You would be better off with something like this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Voilamart-...TF8&qid=1485981153&sr=1-6&keywords=compressor

The airbrush isn't the greatest but it will give you a feel for what its all about. if you find you are enjoying airbrushing start saving for an Iwata eclipse HP-C or a Badger they will last a lifetime.
Throw the cleaning brushes into your toolbox in the shed and don't let them anywhere near an airbrush - interdental brushes are better. (wherever you buy your toothpaste from)

I haven't used the vallej0 paint so will leave others to comment on them, but a primary set of Createx Wicked Detail and a large bottle of reducer will see you off and running for quite a few months. It will paint on anything you aim it at too.

Hi from another Brit on the south coast.

Anything to do with ABing, and contains the word 'kit' isn't usually worth having. The compressors are so called because they do technically compress air, but not at a rate that is suitable for an airbrush - even though that is what they are supposedly for. They also pulse air, which is no good for consistent spraying, and running continually makes them over heat. The brushes are cheap copies, and their performance is hit or miss. You may get a good usable one, or junk. Also parts do not last, and it is often cheaper and easier to replace the whole brush - and hope you get a usable one.

So that £60, while seeming cheap, can turn quite quickly into £60 down the drain. If you have access to a normal workshop type compressor, and noise isn't an issue then just get the adaptors to take the hose from 1/4 to 1/8 and use that, (or if you buy one, make sure it has a tank, regulator and water trap) and spend the money on a low end branded brush. For stencils you wont need a detail brush, and depending how big they are you could probably use a .5 just fine.

If you need a silent compressor, then there isn't really a cheap option unless you get lucky with something second hand.

I would strongly urge you to buy a decent AB. As Squishy said, get yourself an Iwata Eclipse or Badger brush. Top, side or bottom feed.. doesn't matter. The T-Shirt artists tend to like the bottom feed brushes because they need more paint. The brush will serve you for many years, no matter what level you are at.

Steer yourself away from that kit @Synyster like jackEb said its not very good and the compressor will overheat very quickly. The airbrushes will also not be of fantastic quality. I know its cheap and you dont want to spend a lot of money at first but if you do really want to get into airbrushing i would recommend getting a good starter airbrush and a compressor that isnt going to overheat. You will of course have to spend a bit more on these. Vallejo airbrush paint isnt too bad to use, ive had a spray with it and my old work buddy who has recently started up uses it without any issues.

Lee

Thanks for the replies I did end up going for a kit I was told the compressor was not a crappy one and it came with 2 airbrushes stamped with the name Flowzy now my aim was to sort of mess about and if I liked Airbrushing over painting and some of the videos I have seen with the ability to sort of fade colours in then I would go ahead and invest in a more expensive brush now I am still trying to figure if I could use cheap acrylic paint like I have some Reeves but I have looked at the Createx and while more expensive like the range they have, now for all those that are fans of this brand I would like to know is there a type I should buy for mt type of work/hobby which is mainly painting images messing with stencils no painting models like aircraft, cars that sort of thing and so far my main size is A4 although I may start looking at slightly larger sizes. So the main question should I invest more and go with the Createx also can I say paint the canvas, wood then use the Airbrush for the detailing work or just airbrush the canvas.
I know this should probably be in a different forum and I promise to make sure I look more at the rules but while I am here how many colours do you guys have and please dont come back with like 70+ :whistling:.

ps the kit I went with and I wont be offended by any comments
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171184179508?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

That compressor seems a bit better than many kit compressors, and has a tank, so will def get you started. The brushes however I've never heard of. They are copies so are likely to be hit or miss. Just bear in mind if things don't go smoothly, it may be due to the brush. As it doesn't seem like you want to do detail work , they will hopefully work well enough. Be careful they are made of soft metal and damage easily.

Paint - make sure it is airbrush specific. The pigment in regular acrylic is too large and will cause blockages. Standard createx is for fabric, at higher pressures and ideally .5 nozzle. Createx Wicked (my fave) is a more refined paint multi surface paint, very versatile. Createx Illustration is for fine art and detail work. Auto Air os for non porous surfaces. If you are happy to mix your own colours you can get by with black white and primary colours. You will need the branded reducer, does not work well with water.

Createx may seem expensive compared to paint acrylics but because it's atomized you'll be amazed how long a bottle will last.
Just a primary set and a large bottle of reducer and you will be good for months and months

Yes I just ordered a Createx illustration secondary set it comes with the reducer and cost £35 of ebay for the 2oz bottles so thanks jackEb , Squishy thanks for the advice once I get used to airbrushing I may surprise myself and start on doing some detail work I am not the best artist but it may be worth a try and Createx seems a do it all paint the Bloodline interests me :) The brushes that came with the set seem pretty solid but I don't know much about them except they seem to be English "http://www.airbrushheaven.co.uk/Flowze/index.html" I misspelled the initial name with a y not e the brush model names are BD-128 and BD-134k which but I will trial them until I can afford a better model.
Thanks for the help.

Thanks for the replies I did end up going for a kit I was told the compressor was not a crappy one and it came with 2 airbrushes stamped with the name Flowzy now my aim was to sort of mess about and if I liked Airbrushing over painting and some of the videos I have seen with the ability to sort of fade colours in then I would go ahead and invest in a more expensive brush now I am still trying to figure if I could use cheap acrylic paint like I have some Reeves but I have looked at the Createx and while more expensive like the range they have, now for all those that are fans of this brand I would like to know is there a type I should buy for mt type of work/hobby which is mainly painting images messing with stencils no painting models like aircraft, cars that sort of thing and so far my main size is A4 although I may start looking at slightly larger sizes. So the main question should I invest more and go with the Createx also can I say paint the canvas, wood then use the Airbrush for the detailing work or just airbrush the canvas.
I know this should probably be in a different forum and I promise to make sure I look more at the rules but while I am here how many colours do you guys have and please dont come back with like 70+ :whistling:.

ps the kit I went with and I wont be offended by any comments
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171184179508?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Hi hope you’re still on this forum, as I see it’s been a few years since this post.
I am fairly new to airbrushing but noticed you might be doing the same thing I am. I cut out large yard signs from MDO board and hand paint the base colors on them. For example...painting a Santa Claus I will hand paint the red and white. For years I’ve been painting all the details (eyes, accent details, etc) and then my husband talked me into trying airbrushing for those details since it would be faster and look more realistic.
I love doing it as it is much faster and looks better than hand painting, so my question to you is...
What did you experience with the paint? I’ve been using Createx wicked (reduced w/ 20% 4011) It seems to be “OK” but wondering if there’s anything better out there for what I’m doing. Hate to spend so much money after buying 30-40 wicked/createx products.
Also, Were you able to thin the regular acrylic paint?? I have TONS of those since I’ve used those for years but I’ve always heard they won’t work as well once thinned, so I never bothered to try it. Let me know what you’ve preferred for yours.
P.S. If I am mistaken on what kind of surfacing you’re airbrushing on (wood with brushed paint base) feel free to ignore my questions. Lol.

Back