Help majorly needed - super new to this!

B

Bethany

Hi all,

I have been struggling with getting started with a project all weekend, and before I throw my hands up, a friend suggested I post here. I literally have no airbrush experience whatsoever - I cannot stress enough! YouTube videos and reading have gotten me this far but I'm hoping someone might be able to answer some questions for me.

I’m going to be as thorough as I can in the hopes of making myself clear cause I am personally very confused. Basically, I made a project a few weeks ago for a friend involving painted pinecones (cut in half, then painted to look like flowers, then arranged in a frame). I painted them by hand. I got rave reviews on this project from other friends, a number of whom asked me to make one for them – and another friend who has a boutique craft store encouraged me to consider making some to sell there. My plan was to make a few more of these as prototypes to give to friends and to start slowly trying to sell in the store.

Painting by hand was obviously really laborious. A friend who paints Warhammer figurines had a cheap airbrush he’s never used which he effectively gave to me (he doesn’t know much about airbrushing though himself). I’m not swimming in cash right now, and thankfully pinecones, acrylic paints, and cheap frames from Goodwill are easy to come by as the materials for this project – the issue is the tools.

The airbrush model the friend gave me is a Master Airbrush G23. Yesterday I planned to spend the day learning to use this thing… let’s just say it didn’t go well. I was meticulously cleaning it periodically according to directions. It was alright until I tried to change to a different needle to get more of a flow for the larger pinecones. Things went downhill from there—I THINK I might have snapped off part of the screw on the previous nozzle tip. When I tried to replace with another nozzle, it will NOT go in. I thought maybe part of the previous tip got stuck inside, but I see nothing in there with a flashlight indicating any excess materials, and instructions I’ve seen online for troubleshooting getting old stuck nozzle pieces out of there haven’t worked. I seriously spent three hours trying to figure this out (including trying to put other tips in – they don’t ‘catch’ in order to screw in). I also understand this is not a particularly high quality airbrush, and I don’t want to spend the $30 to buy the replacement body of the brush if there’s a tool out there that could do this job more appropriately.

All of this made me realize that I’m honestly not sure that an airbrush like this is what I need anyway – I’m not doing fine details here, and it was taking a good amount of time to finish each pine cone. I really just need to be able to do a base coat. So I did as much reading as I could and went to Walmart, Home Depot, and Harbor Freight to to look for a mini spray gun to use instead with the air compressor. The issue is though the air compressor that came with the airbrush is quite tiny in size (though it goes up to 100 PSI - this is it -

http://www.tcpglobal.com/ABD-TC-20_2.html#.WYfAUkEpCaM

I finally found a mini (4.2 oz capacity) spray gun at Harbor Freight that seemed to need less air compressor power – the guy at HF said he thought that based on the PSI going up to 100 in my air compressor, this would work, so I bought it –

4 oz. Adjustable Detail Spray Gun https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O3AHDGM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_gh8HzbR1T6YKD

Stupidly, it didn’t occur to me that the hose might not connect, so while I’m planning to go back to HF this week, I’m concerned that this air compressor is just not right for anything bigger than an airbrush, and I really can’t stress enough that I can’t invest a ton more into this – maybe another $50 or so right now. When I say 'just not right' - I'm also not clear on what that could mean - the unit just overheats? Only goes for so long then takes a while to refill? I'm not sure of the line between 'not ideal' and 'dangerous' here.

So I’m wondering 2 things –

1)how can I figure out for sure before trying it that this sprayer is safe to use with the compressor I have? This AC doesn’t appear to have a tank on it, so it’s not even a gallon. I’ve been trying to read about PSI and HP and capacity etc, but it’s just not registering for me.

2) For my purposes, would a small electric spray gun work instead? Again, I’m not doing fine detail or anything super-high quality here – I just need to spray lots of pinecones. I’ve been reading about electric sprayers, but many appear to not take acrylic paints (though they might if I thin them). Here's one I was looking at that people talk about on crafting forums, but again, using acrylic paints may not work - Wagner Power Products 0417005 HVLP Control Sprayer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000DZBP60/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Td8HzbC3X5395

I would be really, REALLY grateful for any advice anyone has for this clueless soul ;(

Thank you!!

Can you describe the process the pinecone will go through? Example.. do you paint all the pieces white first then fill in the details or ?

https://sites.google.com/site/donsairbrushtips/master-g22
If part of the threads are left in there you can see if any of your friends are mechanics , Or fine an affordable Easy Out kits something like this https://www.amazon.com/IRWIN-HANSON...69872&sr=8-2&keywords=easy+out+bolt+extractor that will fit into the hole.
The problem with the screw on nozzles is to much force will break them very easily .
If you are just spraying single colors a small HVLP spray gun will work fine.
Not sure what part of the world you live in but see if you have any local flea markets in your area you might be able to pick up a cheap one for 5 or 10 bucks.

But post up a pic of those pine cones it will help us make better suggestions.

Thanks guys!. Here is what the pinecones look like - definitely nothing fancy by way of painting, I just slapped it on there. I purchased the pinecones so that they didn't have the dirt outdoor pinecones would have, and put the acrylic directly on (no primer). Today though I got some spray paint primer to make the paint a little more vibrant as I keep working on this.
IMG_2217.JPG

I wonder if a single-action airbrush would be right for you? They are a lot less finicky, and if all you are doing is spraying single colors, you should be just fine with something like that. A Paasche H can be had all day long on Ebay for cheap if you can go that route? You could even use it for primering and all that.

If you have a Hobby Lobby close to you (print the 40% off Coupon) and try some Wicked Paint , It is water based but can paint on pretty much any surface. Mainly paint have to be pretty thin to run through an airbrush .

You have to look at cfm instead of psi when using a mini hvlp gun. Most likely that compressor will not have enough cfm to power the mini gun.
I agree a single action or even just spray paint cans would be better.

I wonder if a single-action airbrush would be right for you? They are a lot less finicky, and if all you are doing is spraying single colors, you should be just fine with something like that. A Paasche H can be had all day long on Ebay for cheap if you can go that route? You could even use it for primering and all that.

Thank you so much - you had me at "a lot less finicky." I couldn't believe how tricky it was to use. I am wondering if I could just start with this - if it sucks I am only out $17. In general though, how would I know if I need any additional parts to make it compatible with my compressor?

Badger Air-Brush Co 250-1 Basic Spray Gun Set https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BPZ536/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_p98HzbHR81S57

I would suggest continuing what you are doing for now. Once you start selling more then have the $$ to spend on proper equipment. anything bargain basement wont last and will likely be a waste of money.

spray can primer (with you masked up and in a well ventilated area - preferably outdoor) then just have pots / icecream containers with various watered down hobby acrylic paints in them, just dunk the pine cone in it, stir/toss it around, drip dry with the 'flower' facing down on chicken wire rack, then use as wanted

Good line of thinking - I did try dunking some of the tiny ones in Dixie cups and it didn't go fantastically - it was tough to get the paint down into the grooves evenly, even when I submerged them, but I could do more trial and error and try to be more systematic about it...I can't think of how the drip drying would work though besides trying to hang them upside down somehow and many of them are really teeny (Joann sells itty bitty baby pinecones that I've been using alongside the full sized ones)

Eta sorry this was re: JackEb - can't figure out how to fix that.

ETA again - just saw your chicken wire suggestion - thank you!!

That's why I suggested priming with spray can first - matte/satin white will do the job, then thin the acrylic hobby paint with water you 'll only need a thin coat to get the colour. being thin it will get into the nooks and crannies.
You could do the primer with thinned white paint too to save buying spray cans

With the chicken wire you can bend it to accommodate the tiny little ones so they are pointy end down.

Where abouts in the world are you, we may be able to suggest local suppliers

Ok, thank you!! I am picturing it better now. I live in Pittsburgh (right in the city) so I've got access to all the chains as well as plenty of local stores!!

Ok, thank you!! I am picturing it better now. I live in Pittsburgh (right in the city) so I've got access to all the chains as well as plenty of local stores!!
Lucky you, I envy the craft outlets you have in the US.....

Thin paint is the way to go, you can double dip once its dry if you need to.

Thank you so much - you had me at "a lot less finicky." I couldn't believe how tricky it was to use. I am wondering if I could just start with this - if it sucks I am only out $17. In general though, how would I know if I need any additional parts to make it compatible with my compressor?

Badger Air-Brush Co 250-1 Basic Spray Gun Set https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BPZ536/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_p98HzbHR81S57
Well... I'm really not sure how well that might work long-term. It is kinda hard when you're not sure if you are gonna make 5 more or 50 more. :) Badger makes a 350 model which would probably be a better choice (and not too expensive). The Paasche H (in my humble opinion) is competitive to the 350 and much better made. It's a tank! You won't ever wear it out. If you are a klutz like me, go for the HS model- its the same airbrush but the bottle screws into the brush, so you won't drop it on the floor like I always seem to do. :)

As far as how to hook it up to your compressor, I'm not exactly sure what fitting you have on your compressor. Since you live in an area where stores are plentiful, you could take the compressor with you and I'm sure they would hook you up with the proper adaptor. Different manufacturers use different size fittings, but its usually not too hard to cough up the adaptor needed for your particular application.

Hope that helps!

I agree with Jackie as dipping them would be a lot faster,but if you really wanted an airbrush I too would suggest a single action as all your doing is painting the pine cones one color at a time and there a bottle feed(change bottles to change colors) that would be the fastest way to get them done next to dipping them!

Back