Help needed please New airBrush

blindy1964

Young Tutorling
Hi

I am looking at a new airbrush should I buy a GSI Creos ph-289 or the Iwata Eclipse hp-cs either one look good but what would be your choice thanks for your help

I am no expert, and someone with at least a bit of knowledge will be along soon to offer more wisdom, but I would think they are going to be pretty similar and might be down to whats the best deal for each You can get, I have the 289 and its a great brush for the money, but I suppose the Iwata is too! Helpful aren't I 😂

It would be helpful for us to know where you live so we might be able to steer you to the best place to purchase. If you are in New Zealand or Australia I think you may need to prepare yourself for sticker shock.

That is helpful, right Ian lol?

I do not own either of the brushes you are looking at so I have no first hand knowledge to pass along. This is my take.

In the US we have a company called SprayGunner. When I went to their site to compare the two brushes you mention (which was before I knew you are in the UK) I see where the Creos PS289 brush is on sale for $77 USD. They also have the HP-CS for $170. Hmmmm The Iwata does have a cut away handle while the Creos has a MAC valve.

I bought a PS270 for $77 just because I couldn't beat the price. Thank you for your question, I think.

I got free shipping with mine. I doubt you will have the same option so that may make the price of each brush more balanced as I do not know what prices are for them in the UK.

I can't talk to an Eclipse as I don't own one but I have a couple of 289's and an Iwata hiline HP-CH in my lineup, both use 0.3mm needle/nozzle. The 289's get a lot more use. Performance is equivalent but when I look at the Air-Craft.net site where I have bought a bunch of Mr Hobby spares, the Iwata goes for 250 quid and the 289 goes for 125. Also interesting is that number of parts are identical or interchangeable - but then they are made in the same factory.

You really can't go wrong with either one. A few things that I will point out that make each one a little different from the other - The Eclipse uses a larger, self centering nozzle design, which tends to be a little more robust than the smaller screw in Creos design. Caveat here is that the actual nozzle (little silver piece) are pretty much literally the same between them - with the Eclipse using a larger brass carrier to complete the assembly). The self centering nozzle aspect of the Eclipse helps the overall build to feel a bit more substantial than the Creos, and will hold up to lots of newbie abuse. The Creos is a big brush, being a little longer than the Iwata. Angle of the Creos trigger and air valve assembly can take some getting used to when switching back and forth between a vertical setup... There is an o-ring in the Eclipse trigger setup that seems to be a perpetual issue that develops over time - creating a sticky trigger. Easy to remedy by changing the o-ring occasionally. These things mentioned, both brushes are great. Aside from personal preferences it would be really difficult to say one is REALLY better than the other. Pick one, and get going! Most of all, enjoy!

Back