Help - Painting realistic eyes

Gore Hunter

Needle-chuck Ninja
Hello everyone! I'm about to start a new little piece and I was wondering if you could give me advise on how to paint the eyes.

ccc5dbf6c4e8d101234e4a2202c9a76c.jpg

This is my reference. As you can see, the eyes have a particular reflection on them (with different colors and shapes). I've never painted realistic eyes before, and I think I'm ok with painting the eye, but this reflection is what I'm struggling with. Should I use erasing techniques? maybe paint some shapes? maybe both? I appreciate any advise!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I painted this pic on a tshirt a while back and found the eyes the most difficult, you could erase in the highlights or use some liquid mask. I wasnt able to get loads of detail on mine but they looked decent enough.
If you wanna see the thread is called 'Tshirt for the Madbrush' no SBS just the finished article

Zoom right in on it, you'll see it much clearer when it literally fills your screen, when looking at it that close think of the layering sequence to represent it, I prefer to add whites into eyes rather than erase. Erasing can look a bit harsh but it can be used softly to improve your shapes but an easy way is base it, lay those inner lines of the eyes iris and reshape them just down to the base rather than to white, adding light layers of diluted white as you paint an eye helps give it that matt wet feel and transparency and depth, its not a painting easy to explain in few words but zooming right in may help see the features and ways to layer it. Good luck.

I painted this pic on a tshirt a while back and found the eyes the most difficult, you could erase in the highlights or use some liquid mask. I wasnt able to get loads of detail on mine but they looked decent enough.
If you wanna see the thread is called 'Tshirt for the Madbrush' no SBS just the finished article

Cool! You got very nice detail :) I'll study your result and see what can I get from it :))

Cool! You got very nice detail :) I'll study your result and see what can I get from it :))

Should be easier for you as you will be able to erase in some detail, just paint what ya see, easier said than done lol

Zoom right in on it, you'll see it much clearer when it literally fills your screen, when looking at it that close think of the layering sequence to represent it, I prefer to add whites into eyes rather than erase. Erasing can look a bit harsh but it can be used softly to improve your shapes but an easy way is base it, lay those inner lines of the eyes iris and reshape them just down to the base rather than to white, adding light layers of diluted white as you paint an eye helps give it that matt wet feel and transparency and depth, its not a painting easy to explain in few words but zooming right in may help see the features and ways to layer it. Good luck.

Yes, I figured if I would use erasing, it had to be very subtle. I see the reflection involves other colors aside of white, and some sharp shapes (the left eye looks like it's reflecting a window or something).

I would create the detail with a veridian green, then scratch out the highlights then spray the veridian again but at 60% then add some yellow and scratch out the highlight again. Or something like that :)

I would create the detail with a veridian green, then scratch out the highlights then spray the veridian again but at 60% then add some yellow and scratch out the highlight again. Or something like that :)

I did this piece a couple years ago, 3 feet tall, was so much fun! eyes were a bugger, redid them entirely about 7 times, I wish you the best of luck and lots of fun, can't wait to see the finish

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

I did this piece a couple years ago, 3 feet tall, was so much fun! eyes were a bugger, redid them entirely about 7 times, I wish you the best of luck and lots of fun, can't wait to see the finish

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Thank you! I'm going to start during this week and of course I'll be sharing my progress :) Never painted fur before, nor realistic eyes so I hope I get at least a nice result lol

You can do that erasing , cratching , masking and painting , al depends mainly i the size of the eyes in the painting and how close to the picture you want to do them , ussually very complex reflex goes with eyes paintings, where there is nothing more to see and you need a "punch" effect in the viewer , in regular paintings , some simple reflex can do the trick very well

Back