help with a vl

I would lube the MESS out of it. It won't hurt anything. Once you get it working, you can always spray a cleaner through it to get the lube out of the gun.

Those are the Brutes of Paasche. It's gonna be something simple. They are pretty bulletproof. At least your needles and nozzles are labeled. I had to figure mine out. It was all thrown in a box. the are actually marked with hash marks on everything but without Hawk vision, it's really hard to see.

Paasche responded to my email saying the needle isnt seated. I cant push the needle any farther without damaging the tip. I did watch a video last night and it seemed the guy had the same issue, or it seemed his vl was a single action almost. Iv attached the video skip to 445 ish and watch him do fine dots ect. Oh and even with the #1 tip it seems like i could paint a car with it right now.

Just watching the vid and I will make an assumption that the setting at the front is wound up to a point where it looks as though it works like a single action by just pressing down for air and paint is coming out. If so you will have problems. As we all know the no 1 rule of double action ab'ing is "Air On All The Time". I'd wind that thing off so it doesn't work and you have to pull back for paint. The way he has it set up means the needle will never seat as that 'setting' is holding the needle open a prescribed amount so paint will trickle through after the air is off, no good as paint builds up on the tip and as soon as you hit the air again it will 'splat' that excess paint on your surface.
It seems to work the opposite of other brands in that the setting is a stop to govern how far back you can pull the trigger (i.e. let paint through). Is that right?
Just an observation though :)

<edit> I guess being a suction feed this may not be as much of a problem as with the gravity fed models. Still, it's a good habit/practice to use your ab without these settings. Maybe the paint pot is getting pressurized somehow?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would tear it all down again and check it. Something's not right. Perhaps that small dial on top is not retracting all the way.

I may oull that dial out of i can. Like i said in my last post i dont see any hope of spraying a line finer than 1/8 of an inch. Could air pessure be to high?

Not really because a VL is a siphon feed brush and you will need more air anyway. No matter how high your pressure is (within reasonable limits or under 100 PSI0 you should till NEVER get paint coming out with just the air depressed. Also, make sure your spring is not worn out badly as well. I don't have a problem with my dial but if i did, i would pull it because i don;t use it anyway.

The minimum that my VLS will spray consistently is about 35 PSI. Anything under that it may spray but its not consistent.

Alright guys i pulled the dial and loosened the little internal brass fitting that the needle passes through and everything seems good now. No premature paint and i was able to do fine soft dots and soft/dark thin lines.

I forgot about the little needle adjuster at the front... basically turns it into a single action airbrush! Well done for figuring it out and have fun! Great gun that will last and last.... and take a crap load of punishment!

I personally think the internal piece was to tight and the needle was binding up a smidgen.

NICE! You should have NO problems with that VL from now on provided you clean it well and don't drop it on concrete like i have done to mine. They are pretty bulletproof!

Back