Help with autoborne colors.

m3ntalo

Mac-Valve Maestro!
Hey there.

I am getting frustrated. So far I always used the base coat of autoair for my custom projects. Some time ago with the positive feedbacks I ordered some new autoborne colors and a new 1.0mm spray gun especially for it.
Now I was trying to use it but it's not working at all. I get sprinkles all over. My procedure was so: shaking well, reducing 9:1 with high performance reducer, waiting 20 mins and then I used a pressure of like 2. 0 bar.

The main problem is I think the color. I can shake as much as I want... there are some small knots in the paint that I can't get out. Anyone else had this problem? Can the color be too old?

Thank you for your help.
René

How bout straining?. And why are you waiting 20 minutes in between? That may just give it chance to settle, it could be numerous things though m8, I assume your also degreasing well, scuffing well etc. the ratio may also be way to reduced. the spray gun/larger needles works quite differently to smaller needle needs and am wondering if you just have way to much reducer in for your needs through a gun..hard to say though but perhaps posting a pic may get a better answer as without one can only guess..

as @RebelAir has said, always filter/strain your paint, and I'm guessing the 20 minute wait is to allow the reducers and paint to 'cook' ?? according to the instructions, you should be reducing 10 % per volume or more, so a min 10:1 (paint:reducer) for a 1.2mm tip. so probably a 10:2 for a 1mm, but in reality its whatever it takes to get it to spray well in your area of the globe (temp/humidity also play a part)

Personnally I would be mixing /shaking the paint extremely well in the bottle, then measuring it out in a separate container, add the HP reducer let it sit for the 20min if you wish, then mix again then strain it into your spray gun.

Just had another thought, 2 bar = about 30 PSi, maybe a bit low?

From AutoBorne

AutoBorne Sealer is best applied with a 1.2 – 1.4mm tip-sized spray gun around 25 – 30 psi. For use with smaller tip-sizes such as miniguns and an airbrush, reduce accordingly to achieve proper flow and atomization.

@JackEb yer just guessing m8, but lots of mini spray guns are quite varied in pressure need pending on how you set em up. Cheaper the gun generally the poorer atomization, and are they talking about at the tip or line pressure. One of the first things I'd consider after straining is pumping up the pressure a bit or in fact lowering it or whatever that environment needs but pressure is relative to the amount of paint, pigment sizing and its reduction to gain best atomization, sounds possible its not atomizing correctly but again without a pic its hard to say..All depends on what the"sprinkles" look like :) Could be simple dust incursion or a myriad of things but pressure is one of the easiest to check...

@RebelAir that wasn't me guessing, that was from AutoBorne :)

I think most seasoned operators know that its just a 'safe' guide and they will adjust from there and at least it gives the newbs a starting point. as I said in my earlier post . . . . "in reality its whatever it takes to get it to spray well in your area of the globe"

I'm in agreement with both you and mark, it could be one of several things going on. I'm just trying to knock one variable on the head,

Thank you for the answers. I will try again soon. 9:1 because the technical sheet said so. Anyways I need to get me something to strain the color since you can't shake it enough to get the crap out. Even with a color stirrer you still have a lot of crap in the color. I'll report as soon as I find the time to buy something for it.

LOL @JackEb , that statement from Autoborne ain't worth the pixels its written with, seems they're guessing as well and in that case I would prefer my guess because as you mention it better suits my needs/uses/setup at that time but may not suit m3ntalo's LOL. @m3ntalo go down to a good auto spray joint and buy some paint strainers, cheap as. Is your touch up gun gravity feed? if its bottom feed you can buy strainers that attach directly to the siphon hose and strains as you paint to ensure clean well mixed paint only goes through, my gravity feed touch up gun has similar in the bottom of the reservoir (A little screen mesh) perhaps worth looking into similar option for yours if it is a straining or paint clumping issue and no doubt the same auto paint store may have something to assist. good luck but i think it really is a case of playing with your gun, sprayguns take a lot more experience to generally set up well to get full atomization, could be that your introducing to much paint for the air supply and breaking down that atomization..It could be the paint itself as you mention, age or other chemical reactions going on that are causing the issue, dirty air, dirty environment or surfaces etc etc but no doubt at least you may have a few things to try out and experiment with from all posts above..Good luck.

Thank you for the answers. I wish I would get to the spray gun part. It's probably the createx crap that's broken. I strained the color, mixed it perfectly 9:1 let it sit and that's what it gives.:
051e0b0c38fe645cfa46e4479d9e7034.jpg

I lost my patience and sprayed it on with the plan to scuff it smooth after. Well.... Now it's twice the work I fear. :)

I will order some autoair base coat and leave throw away the crap. I might be not experienced although it's by far not my first bike I painted, but we'll it's just a mixture of two things.... It can't be rocket science.
Thank you again, I clean up the mess and get the color down again now...

are those particles on the side of the cup semi solid or just a photoeffect? Soft skin or hard? or just water drops. To be fair to those trained panel beaters and auto repairers out there it is over here 3 years of school whilst apprenticing for 4 and some of it is quite scientific, maybe has a little rocket science in there but you must remember, becoming an airbrush artist you are sometimes becoming the chemist mixing all kind of weird arse chemicals LOL, but yer could just be that createx stuff :) Perhaps just using a different painting system may better suit your needs or a different base type..Without physically seeing whats going on and being able to touch those bubbles its hard to say but kinda looks like water or some kind of seperation

Okay, incase someone has the same problems I certainly keep you updated.

After writing to createx U. S. first they sent me to createx Germany to call them. I told them about my problems, and apparently they didn't have such a problem yet. They sent me a huge box with stuff to test
05b844081a7eaf76157d275e93ae14d3.jpg
including the autoborne white which I had the problems with and including new reducer as well.

Today I tried the new bottles of autoborne and reducer and it definitely was the color. Doing the same procedure. Shaking, straining, reducing and waiting. Here two pictures of the new color in the cup and the damaged.
b833ba265efd1167c17f0ce30e9ce31e.jpg

1fbc17b26ad153438b0e035b2dadd93b.jpg

Is my basecoats perfect yet? No. :) but now I can try and experiment with reduction, pressure and my new spray gun and I know it's not the product anymore.
Thumbs up for the createx service, which I am going to send an feedback email now too.

Back