Hey all

D

Dark Rose

I'm Steve, a single dad from Indiana.
I'm currently laid off as a machinist and using some of my spare time in my workshop, I'm not an artist by any stretch but have picked up an airbrush to do some things more efficiently.
At the moment I joined to find out more about equipment with the possibility of gaining some skill and knowledge of what in heck I can do with it!

Hey Steve, welcome from New Zealand. Check out the tutorials on airbrushtutor.com Click the tutorials button above! It is a great tool but needs practice and a good amount of learning. There are some good summaries of brushes and compressors as well as paints and techniques.

One bit of advice, don't skimp on the brush or the paints. Get a paint specific to airbrush and do some research into the brushes. A common recommendation is the Iwata eclipse, 0.35mm nozzle. It's a dependable brush with a good reputation that allows plenty of range once the skill level is up. There are plenty of other brushes that are good as well, badger springs to mind. Avoid buying cheap kits - they lead to tears and frustration for a beginner and usually a second purchase.

Compressors, get a tank on it and avoid the cheap little ones... good for fish tanks, bad for airbrushing. :)

Welcome to the forum Steve! Sorry about your job. Hopefully you'll find something soon. In the meantime, practice practice practice. There will be a learning curve and it will take a while to get the right combination of paint, reducer and psi. But, once the light bulb goes on, you'll be producing some great pieces. Art skills or not.. there are ways to get around that. As was said above, don't buy a cheap kit. I would suggest the Iwata Eclipse as well. Its a great brush to learn on and a workhorse in the industry. It will serve you for many years. The paint depends on what you want to do. A good paint for just about everything is Wicked, but its not the friendliest paint to learn with. We are here for you when you have questions. For now, there are tons of videos to watch and I would suggest you just absorb as much as you can.

Welcome from the UK, the guys above have got you covered. All I can add is shout out any questions, and show pics of your efforts - especially for any issues, helps us to help you - and no trolls here. We all start in the same place :)

Enjoy the forum.

Welcome from Midwest, this is a great place to learn. It has done a lot for me, I hope we can help you out.

Welcome to the madhouse,as for what you can do with the airbrush you can aways make a few of theses and being your layed off for a little bit bring your Kid fishing!;)

1560598_809197749097553_1651232388_n.jpg

Welcome aboard from another Steve. Good luck with your airbrushing skills. You are in the right spot.

Back