Hi All - New from Namibia

CaptKarel

Double Actioner
Hi All

I used to spend a lot of time drawing, painting (mostly water colours) and for a few year, photography, also did my own developing by hand, mostly black and white. That was before the digital camera age. Sort of lost interest after going digital, it is just not the same as working with film. My subject matter were mostly landscapes and a few abstracts. I liked to play with contrasts, colour and textures, even in my photography.

Unfortunately life and work interfered and could not make the time to do any art for a long time.
The other day while cleaning out my garage, I found my Badger Crescendo 175. I understand this is a very versatile and good quality airbrush and could be used to for almost anything. I bought it many years ago for painting RC Model aircraft, and since it is still in perfectly good working order, I have decided to make time for art again.

At the moment I only have my workshop compressor and a very good water trap and regulator but is looking for a smaller, quieter and more portable airbrush compressor. The big compressor hardly needs to run when full and only runs every half hour or so but the wife complains it is too noisy, my garage is right next to her home office unfortunately.

I made my own DIY cleaning pot and brush holder from some ideas I got from the internet, I also found an portable folding easel and A3 and A2 backboard I used to use for my painting. Here it is not so easy to get art or airbrush supplies locally, therefore I will be experimenting with thinning craft paint (acrylic) using distilled water and ammonia free window cleaner, I will also try some water colour paints for transparent colours. Any suggestions regarding this is welcome. I also have a lot of water colour paper of various thickness and sizes, which should be fine for most water based painting. Will be looking at trying poster board but I found it does not absorb the paint as quickly as water colour paper and tend to spider web very easily, maybe less pressure and thinner paint will work. The finger is still a bit dumb and double actioning is still not there yet. I realise control is of prime importance when using an airbrush.

I am willing to take the time to learn the skills and techniques to use an airbrush for making art. I am particularly interested to create some space and planet scenes and also some SciFi subjects, mostly with acrylic water based paints on paper. I will also explore renditions of aircraft copied from photographs. I unfortunately do not have the talent for people or animals. Over the years I have collected many photos of aircraft and will be converting the images to art at some point.

I decided to join this forum to seek advice, guidance on techniques, learn skills and maybe later publish some of my work for honest critique.

Yours Truly,

Welcome from a warm South Africa, looking forward to see your work!

Back