Hi everyone

Frustrating stuff, not a great start to my airbrushing endeavours, and everything badger has to be purchased online here in Brisbane. I can't go to my local model store and try another air hose.

Thanks for the assist.

If it were Mine I would probably try a little bit of persuasion with a small hammer and a piece of plastic rod or dowel with the nut held in a vice or something similar. Please note, I AM NOT advising this, it is just something I would probably do :malicious:šŸ˜‚

It is frustrating. I would be tempted to give it a pull and a twist with something but its a lot of money if they will not take it back if you damage it. Can you get a generic 1/8ā€ hose and adapter set? It would cost a lot less.

If you are not going to send it back and want to try your brush and are willing to cut the hose you may find you can push it over the quick fit fitting that screws on your brush and clip it. Then once you have the hose end sorted you can rejoin the pipe with an inline water trap IF the hose looks like the internal diameter is big enough to fit on the quick fit for now.

The "nut" piece on the air hose for sure should slide up further. It should screw on far enough to the bottom of the airbrush to lock the nut against the end of the internal hose end so that it will no longer rotate freely.

Frustrating stuff, not a great start to my airbrushing endeavours, and everything badger has to be purchased online here in Brisbane. I can't go to my local model store and try another air hose.

Thanks for the assist.
I'd actually take the airbrush and hose to the model shop, Badgers are a popular brush and they may just have badger hoses available but not the brush, or maybe someone there may be able to assist, its always easier seeing it in person rather than pics online.

@musicmacd do you know of any business up your way that may be able to help Adams ?

Oh, and welcome to the group (I'm in Adelaide )

Hello,

There seems to be something wrong with that hose.
You should be able to do this without any effort.
WhatsApp Image 2023-11-03 at 8.18.07 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-11-03 at 8.18.07 PM (1).jpeg

Does it turn freely? Try to rock it back and forth with pliers. Maybe a drop of penetrating oil or WD40.
I could send you a Badger vinyl hose but last time I sent something to Australia it took over 2 months.

Thanks,
Ismael

I'd actually take the airbrush and hose to the model shop, Badgers are a popular brush and they may just have badger hoses available but not the brush, or maybe someone there may be able to assist, its always easier seeing it in person rather than pics online.

@musicmacd do you know of any business up your way that may be able to help Adams ?

Oh, and welcome to the group (I'm in Adelaide )
Sorry Jackie, I buy everything from megastore

It should be an M5 thread with a 0.8mm pitch I believe. The pic is a little blurry but it looks like the thread start is a little dodgy get a M5 bolt at Bunnings, hardware store, or off your Japanese or European car. And see if you can force it on a little if it picks up. Keep running up and down a few times then try it on your brush

It should be an M5 thread with a 0.8mm pitch I believe. The pic is a little blurry but it looks like the thread start is a little dodgy get a M5 bolt at Bunnings, hardware store, or off your Japanese or European car. And see if you can force it on a little if it picks up. Keep running up and down a few times then try it on your brush
This is an internet falsehood - the thread pitch of the Badger Air Valve Boss (and hose) is a leftover from the turn of the last century - it is #10 x 60tpi. OC Wold originated the use of this thread pitch on both Wold and Thayer & Chandler airbrushes. A few very early Paasche brushes also used it... when Badger took over the original model A build in the mid-1960's, they kept the #10 x 60tpi thread pitch. An M5 x .5 thread can be forced on it, but will usually start pulling threads off in short order the further it is screwed on...

First one is m5x.5 - second 60tpi. Both on a Badger air valve -

Badger m5x5 nope.jpg
Badger 60tpi yep.jpg

Is this why a harder and Steenbeck badger adapter is listed as m5 X 0.45? Is that closer? By the looks of it the 0.45 pitch would be.

I honestly do not know why H&S specs the fitting that way. What I do know is that I asked the manufacturer directly, and they didn't even know what the thread pitch was. I also measured enough of them to know that the reason so many people think they are a different size is the variation in allowable tolerances through the years (especially more recent years) ... but, that they are supposed to be a #10 x 60tpi ;) .

hoses are usually pretty inexpensive. or you can always just get a new adapter and attach it to the old hose.. that is frustrating as hell sorry you gotta deal with that.

Did you purchase the brush and hose new or used? Looking at the threads on the air valve on the airbrush there looks to be an issue with the first/ starter thread maybe bad thread cut. To me the cut looks shallower and tighter compared to the rest of the threads which look uniform. It could just be the lighting and angle though. If the starter thread is slightly bent or nicked it can cause threading issues. Check the threads under a good magnifying glass. I would also contact Badger about the issue.IMG_2058.jpeg

I honestly do not know why H&S specs the fitting that way. What I do know is that I asked the manufacturer directly, and they didn't even know what the thread pitch was. I also measured enough of them to know that the reason so many people think they are a different size is the variation in allowable tolerances through the years (especially more recent years) ... but, that they are supposed to be a #10 x 60tpi ;) .
Thanks DaveG looks like I need to expand my brush collection to get more practical experience šŸ˜
When you get to gauge sizes in imperial threads things get very strange I designed a gun sight with some fruity thread pitches for mils and degrees scales

Back