Hi from Sydney (another)

A

Arron

Hi. My name is Arron and I discovered your forum yesterday. I live in Sydney and started using an airbrush a few weeks ago. Most of my time so far has been spent just trying to make sense of the alternatives in paint, equipment and method.

I'm surprised - its a long learning curve.

My interest in airbrushes is solely to paint the various natural-themed woodcarvings I do. I'm not an artistic type person and don't aspire to doing great paintings, I just think the airbrush replicates nature better then conventional paintbrushes.

Here's my modest range of equipment
Iwata Eclipse HP-CS
Generic airbrush made in China
2.5 hp compressor with 100 litre tank (overkill, but I already owned it)
Matisse Flow paints

At least I'm trying to concentrate on using Matisse paints and mediums because they seem to have the best range of natural looking earth colours and the type of subdued greens and browns I need.

I've attached a photo (hopefully) of the type of thing I airbrush. There's a little flock of waders with painting half finished. These are modelled on the type of naiive carved 'shorebird decoy' that was produced in the US during the 1910's and 1920's - apparently for hunting purposes and have become collectable since (and no, I dont shoot things myself). They have no eyes because we cant buy them in Australia, so I'll have to figure out a substitute. Above them is a 'fish plaque', one of several that I will paint when I'm good enough.

Looking forward to learning heaps.

cheers
Arron
Sydney, Australia

Attachments

• Decoys.JPG
    Decoys.JPG
    291.1 KB · Views: 12
Welcome from Adelaide.
There's quite a few of us who started airbrushing for 'non art ' reasons, but wound up doing art stuff as an extension. Having artistic talent isn't I prerequisite to doing art work, if it were I'd have been dead in the water the minute I dipped my toe

Hey there - AB revival happening in our Western Isles... Good morning Sydney... :) Welcome From New Zealand.

Welcome to the forum, i must have missed this post. You're in a good place. I've not come across the Matisse paints so I can't comment on them but someone else may have used them before. If you need any help just give out a shout and one of us will hopefully give you an answer or guidance.

Lee

Welcome from Dubuque IA, US. You are in good hands here.

Back