HOK KD3000 Epoxy primer through airbrush?

J

Juicegoose

I was going to start using this hybrid epoxy primer from HOK. Has anyone sprayed it with an airbrush? If so how were your results.
I spray in small batches(like 6ml) so Even a micro hvlp gun is overkill typically.

I've sprayed some other brand epoxy primer with varying results. It seems sometimes I get little bumps in the paint like it is spitting. I'm running my badger 105 at 20-30 psi. Do I need to go up on the pressure or buy a bigger needle?

I'm new to airbrushing so be easy. heheheeh

http://www.coastairbrush.com/S2_KD3000_TDS.pdf MFG recommends 1.3 tip size as a minimum .
So if your using an airbrush it would need to be the biggest tip size you can get and then only be used for the Epoxy .
Keep in mind that airbrushes spray round patterns vs the fan spray of a spraygun , (there are a few airbrush that offer the fan tip but not sure of tip size on them)

Thanks Micron. The reason I asked was because they state the same needle size on their usc01 show clear but I was told am able to spray that without issue. I have no issue with getting a micro spray gun for primer if it is a better tool for the job. I'm painting very small round objects and typically use about 3ml of primer per part at a time. Obviously I can save up and paint more at once if needed.

Would a micro hvlp gun give me a thin enough fan pattern that I'm not wasting a lot of paint?
Any particular brand or features I need to look for in a micro gun? or would a second larger airbrush be better?

scratch that on the fan pettern of a micro gun. It seems that i would for sure be able to get a small enough pattern and be able to adjust the material flow if needed.
I guess the question now would be what model. or features to look for.

Thanks Micron. The reason I asked was because they state the same needle size on their usc01 show clear but I was told am able to spray that without issue. I have no issue with getting a micro spray gun for primer if it is a better tool for the job. I'm painting very small round objects and typically use about 3ml of primer per part at a time. Obviously I can save up and paint more at once if needed.

Would a micro hvlp gun give me a thin enough fan pattern that I'm not wasting a lot of paint?
Any particular brand or features I need to look for in a micro gun? or would a second larger airbrush be better?

I reckon you're over complicating your situation, I'm assuming the primer is intended for your custom reel holders on your fishing rod projects, it isn't compulsory to spray your epoxy primer, or indeed any other primer, you can also apply it with a small soft brush, preferably a cheap one that you can throw away unless you can clean the with brush cellulose thinners after use, epoxy primers and resins are generally self levelling meaning they flow to a reasonably flat finish after being applied, if it's not flat enough, a little sanding will fix it as well as prepare it for the next stage of your work.

Some folks who make lures simply dip them both in the primer and epoxy clear after their art is applied, for such tiny amounts I think brushing it far better suits your purpose, I don't see any justification for any additional expensive equipment, throwing money at certainly won't enhance the work I've seen you produce so far, use your airbrush for the stuff it excels at and take the most economical but professional route for everything else;)

Thanks for the reality check bert. I'm not against painting it on at all. My overall concern is with the threading. I need an even thin coat on the threads otherwise i'm hosed.

Thanks for the reality check bert. I'm not against painting it on at all. My overall concern is with the threading. I need an even thin coat on the threads otherwise i'm hosed.

Tape off threads and keep them clean altogether or just thin the material, even if the threads become too tight you can knock it back a little with steel wool or scotch brite.

I was wasn't suggesting you were above brushing it, I just thought you were of the idea that it was necessary to spray everything, my own problem with spraying something this minute is the amount of waste there would be since you would more than likely lose around 50% of your material by spraying either side of your object as well as over-spray.

I wouldn't call it a reality check since you clearly already knew the reality, I prefer to think of it as common sense check at the very most:)

Back