For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Hok Paints

Discussion in 'Open Bar!' started by MeeshellMP, Feb 15, 2017.

1. MeeshellMP

MeeshellMP Goddess Queen of carts Mod

Ok, so Dennis Cook from Paache keeps telling me to get HOK paints. I found the Inspire paints...so, gimmie your input on WHY I should buy any, cause Im pretty used to all the Createx products and how beetchy they can be from time to time lol
  2. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Mod

I've never used them so this is not going to be very helpful lol. But I have been watching some of Mike Lavelle's live feeds and it's what he uses. I've noticed that he can do things in a different way than you do with waterbased paints, and it seems much quicker to get certain looks - but then it is Mike Lavelle and he's been doing it for ever, so maybe it's just me. Its the solvent aspect that puts me off, I'm not set up for it, and I'm used to my Createx and how it works so haven't bothered to try it.

Maybe if Dennis is so keen for you to try it, he should send over a full set so you can decide if you like it LOL!
    basepaint, MeeshellMP and musicmacd like this.
  3. musicmacd

musicmacd Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

I personally didn't find them any different from Createx, similar system in that they needed reducing etc. the colours themselves are stunningly rich, - the candies and pearls, I bought quite a few cans but after a few weeks the smell and cleaning up with all the chemicals bothered me too much, going back to waterbased felt like a relief! I was hoping for better control/flow but found no difference!
    Oriental blue, voodoo Violet, Apple Red and Root beer were outstanding as was the Shimrin2 Sikver base! That looks insane in the sun!
    MeeshellMP likes this.
  4. musicmacd

When I Say any different I mean the preparation of reducing getting the mix right etc not just spraying from a bottle like say Com art :)
    MeeshellMP likes this.
  5. MeeshellMP

See..thats what worries me. Getting the mix right. Im so used to createx, that I know exactly how much reducer to add according to paint, and what Im painting
  6. musicmacd

I don't think it will take you long!! It's just all the Cleaning spirits and reducers etc. I just felt without masks and filters I was damaging myself more so than the waterbased gear.
    JackEb likes this.
  7. Mr.Micron

Mr.Micron Royal pain in the air hose Admin

Meesh unless your set up to work with urethane I say stay with what you have.
    Yes HOK's Color really pop and lay down smooth but you still get tip dry , You have to have special space set up to use it in and where a paint suit and mask. you have enough health issues with out adding more to them..

Yes I do use HOK when the customer is will to pay the extra money for it. but I also use PPG , SEM , Napa, and a few others but I am set up for it.
    Diegojavbau, MeeshellMP and musicmacd like this.
  8. musicmacd

As Mr Micron says :)
    Save yourself the $800 or so i spent!
    MeeshellMP likes this.
  9. MeeshellMP

Thats what I thought. I dont be needing any more health issues. Maybe when the new buiding goes up...MAYBE lol
    Yeah no kidding!