Homemade reducer question...

D

dan

I bought the items and mixed everything according to Jason Jones' homemade solution.It turned out cloudy...is this supposed to happen? His pic shows a nice clear liquid,mine was clear until I added the denatured alcohol (tried recipe twice,same results).I was wondering if it is o.k to use like this or will it react with the paint making it a dull,cloudy or even leaving a film?

I use Auto Air colors and their 4011 reducer

thanks in advance,
Dan

Hi dan - that sounds very strange - are you 100% sure its DENATURED alchohol, and not rubbing alchohol? we have antisepctic solutions here in SA that turn water cloudy. I have also bought battery water before thinking it was distilled water - it isnt :0
and the glycerin - also good quality?
have you tried same thing with straight tap water?

Dan
Just drive to where you find the New Unionville Sign and knock on the door... the house on the sign side of the road sitting on the hill:D

Denatured Alcohol or you can use the 92%Isopropyl alcohol
so if you are using a 16 ounce bottle 4 ounces of alcohol will be used to 12 ounces of water and 16 drops of glycerin.

I have no clue who Jason Jones is , But being I just checked his site he first posted this in 2010 I have been 3 part mix since 2007 and have had no problems.
The window cleaner just adds more things to the paint you do not need and more alcohol . So why bother .

Like I said just come on over

100% sure- it's denatured alcohol from klean strip,glass cleaner/marine stove fuel... Not tried tap water.

I'm thinking it might be the glass cleaner...I couldn't find the Eagle 1,so I got Armor All.

Their data sheet (msds)

Propyleneglycol 1-5%
n-butylether 1-5%
Isopropanal 1-5%

Maybe try 91% Isoproply alcohol instead?

100% sure- it's denatured alcohol from klean strip,glass cleaner/marine stove fuel... Not tried tap water.

I'm thinking it might be the glass cleaner...I couldn't find the Eagle 1,so I got Armor All.

Their data sheet (msds)

Propyleneglycol 1-5%
n-butylether 1-5%
Isopropanal 1-5%

Maybe try 91% Isoproply alcohol instead?

Like I said do not use anything besides the 3 things I listed , mainly he is trying the old recipe before Createx changed how they make their paint.
I use the home brew for years now with no issues on all types of surfaces . But if you are sold on this Jason Jones mixture ,who am I to argue .

LOL..not at all sold, all the searches I brought up had a link to his mix. I mixed up a batch of yours...crystal clear and sprayed very smooth!!! Thank you very much Sir!

Now...If I can get that "other" homemade recipe I keep reading about...:wink-new:

LOL..not at all sold, all the searches I brought up had a link to his mix. I mixed up a batch of yours...crystal clear and sprayed very smooth!!! Thank you very much Sir!

Now...If I can get that "other" homemade recipe I keep reading about...:wink-new:
ya mean Moonshine?:D

that's the one :adoration:...LOL!!!

LOL well ya need ya some corn some good water and some malt (yeast is what cause hang overs) a good old still and FIRE!
remember to let the head run off that stuff will make ya go blind..
But I have a trucker friend who bring me some when he heads down south just finished a gallon of blueberry shine he brought me a month ago:D

I've done that homemade reducer for a long time with Fantastik, isopropyl alcohol, glycerin and distilled water and it worked very well, but when I'm doing a project for a customer I always use the 4011 reducer. You don't want anything coming back to bite you later lol!

LOL well ya need ya some corn some good water and some malt (yeast is what cause hang overs) a good old still and FIRE!
remember to let the head run off that stuff will make ya go blind..
But I have a trucker friend who bring me some when he heads down south just finished a gallon of blueberry shine he brought me a month ago:D

I guess I should've came over..LOL!

I've done that homemade reducer for a long time with Fantastik, isopropyl alcohol, glycerin and distilled water and it worked very well, but when I'm doing a project for a customer I always use the 4011 reducer. You don't want anything coming back to bite you later lol!

I totally agree! I just happened to run out on Christmas Eve. While I was ordering new I got to thinking, I'm wasting good money using the good stuff to practice on printer paper! This way I can practice with the homemade and have the 4011 waiting on actual projects.

Just to let you all know the formula will turn foggy but will clear up usually by next day or sooner.it is very normal for these chemicals to interact on a low level basis. and will clear up in few hours. I have even using 50/50 of home brew plus w500 reducer.

I used to make my own, but I can't get any other reducer to work like the W500/4012. I use 4011 for the base layers that require more erasing. The 4012 I use just for detail.

Dan
Just drive to where you find the New Unionville Sign and knock on the door... the house on the sign side of the road sitting on the hill:D

Denatured Alcohol or you can use the 92%Isopropyl alcohol
so if you are using a 16 ounce bottle 4 ounces of alcohol will be used to 12 ounces of water and 16 drops of glycerin.

I have no clue who Jason Jones is , But being I just checked his site he first posted this in 2010 I have been 3 part mix since 2007 and have had no problems.
The window cleaner just adds more things to the paint you do not need and more alcohol . So why bother .

Like I said just come on over
I recently started using createx again so that I could do some helmets without fear of weakening the structure with harsh reducers and thinners, got hold of some cheep candy pigments( they are discontinuing them for the new candyO) I still had some transparent white and black for detail, love the paint but the reducer becomes very expensive when compared to acrylic paints, I found the Jason Jones page, then went looking for some feedback on how it worked, i found this page, and tried your recipe, so far it seems to be working great, couldn't find any distilled water so I had to make some,easy enough, im going to test it out on my bike on the sides of my tank (testing for durability or breakdown), the side I have nearly finished is the skull poking out his tongue that I just posted, I used acrylic clear as the intercoat clear let it go off then scuffed it up with 600 w/d paper, on the other side I am going to use createx new intercoat clear between layers and finish with acrylic clear to see how it holds up, I don't use the 2k stuff mainly because of strict regulations in my area, if I ever go commercial I will probably get the local panel beaters to 2k clear
so a BIG THANK YOU to you and your recipe it will save me a lot of money and help me get use to the createx line without worrying about how much reducer I am using

I use the same homemade brew, but minus the glycerin and I use it as a cleaner. It works great and is a lot cheaper...
Here in Canada they sell the de-natured alcohol as Methyl Hydrate...
Cheers

Back