how do i set up a painting area in a flat

Have you seen a 200 mm fan computer fan at full tilt LOL, if its strong enough to coat the insides of my computer with all the overspray dust its strong enough to remove some from actually where ya want and if not...add another LOL..Add enough it could take off LOL
PMSL, yes I actually have a couple, (complete with blue LED) in my PC, but its not where I spray, I'm still not convinced that they'd have enough grunt to deal with a full scale panel of 2m x 1m... although the disco effect could be interesting I you get different coloured LEDs

Hehehe, with the amount I drink whilst painting, colourful LED's is NOT I repeat NOT a good idea LOLOL. Their suction will certainly not be as good as a designed exhaust fan but that's easy, just buy a bathroom exhaust fan instead..they suck a lot :) A lot of it would come down to distance and how you set up the actual ducting, if you narrowed the ducting and mounted two pipes with a computer fan on each side it would gobble up a lot of that overspray, especially if you also attached a vacuum attachment that's got that long narrow slot, might not get it all but for a $20-30 dollar DIY it would def help and you could adjust it then where its needed....I do like the idea of blue leds though, no-one would ever suffer blue shift again :) Everything will just be blue LOL

dammit... now you've made me put my DIY hat on..... I've just done a quick geek check and some of the 200mm fans can draw 60cfm, (just an average across a few I googled) 60cfm equates to 3600cfh.:shock:
I admit I may have been incorrect :eek:with my statement that they wouldn't have enough grunt......

I have checked standard house exhausts and they don't shift enough air !!

@SirSpider and I cant be the only ones wanting to set up inside without having to repaint the whole house like @Madbrush did...
I told myself there would be no online shopping this week,..... so much for THAT theory !!

Have you seen a 200 mm fan computer fan at full tilt LOL, if its strong enough to coat the insides of my computer with all the overspray dust its strong enough to remove some from actually where ya want and if not...add another LOL..Add enough it could take off LOL
I know of a J58 going cheap, a bit of cunning ducting and you'll be right, it also burns off any unwanted chemicals so it doesn't annoy your neighbors. Remember to tie down all small objects including chairs, desks, children and pets. You will also need a kidney belt and grade 5+ ear defenders! :)

dammit... now you've made me put my DIY hat on..... I've just done a quick geek check and some of the 200mm fans can draw 60cfm, (just an average across a few I googled) 60cfm equates to 3600cfh.:shock:
I admit I may have been incorrect :eek:with my statement that they wouldn't have enough grunt......

I have checked standard house exhausts and they don't shift enough air !!

@SirSpider and I cant be the only ones wanting to set up inside without having to repaint the whole house like @Madbrush did...
I told myself there would be no online shopping this week,..... so much for THAT theory !!
In all seriousness... A normal volume for extraction flow is about 12 air changes per hour. Work out your volume and that will tell you what sort of fan you need. Quiet would be a BIG draw card!! I might need to reconsider the j58...

In all seriousness... A normal volume for extraction flow is about 12 air changes per hour. Work out your volume and that will tell you what sort of fan you need. Quiet would be a BIG draw card!! I might need to reconsider the j58...
that calculation sounds like a brain strain, i'd just get 20 of the fans @RebelAir suggested and forego the earplugs.

If I angle it right I'll never have to dust or vacuum again - but I'll dynabolt the fridge and coffee machine down !

again, if I angle it right I could just open my mouth at the right time.... which would be a change !!

ok.
@SirSpider started this so lets do it properly (without infringing any copyrights/Patents that the company in the link would have) I'm sure others will find it useful

1. as suggested by @RebelAir, 200mm fan sucking at around 60cfm (< $25ea )- I'd go for 2 on a 2metre wide panel, just to make sure- what would be the best way to 'wire' them up
  2. Back panel would need to be flexible enough to have a slight bend in it, to accommodate smooth airflow, you can then put a cover back panel to hide any ducting if you want it neater.
  3. front 'floating panel' - what are your thoughts - pegboard , thin mdf or metal ?

I'm happy to take on this challenge, I've been thinking about moving in from the shed for awhile, so I should stop procrastinating

again, if I angle it right I could just open my mouth at the right time.... which would be a change !!

ok.
@SirSpider started this so lets do it properly (without infringing any copyrights/Patents that the company in the link would have) I'm sure others will find it useful

1. as suggested by @RebelAir, 200mm fan sucking at around 60cfm (< $25ea )- I'd go for 2 on a 2metre wide panel, just to make sure- what would be the best way to 'wire' them up
  2. Back panel would need to be flexible enough to have a slight bend in it, to accommodate smooth airflow, you can then put a cover back panel to hide any ducting if you want it neater.
  3. front 'floating panel' - what are your thoughts - pegboard , thin mdf or metal ?

I'm happy to take on this challenge, I've been thinking about moving in from the shed for awhile, so I should stop procrastinating

Actually we can do better,
  1. use a computer power supply and we have multiple 12 volt rails for what we need so we can go up higher and faster than case fans like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/PROFORM-10-...-Electric-Cooling-Fan-P-N-33600-/231661733393 or this http://www.amazon.com/CFR-Performan...sim_263_6?ie=UTF8&refRID=0JY0GW9ZV7VKY8YX45DE
  2. there doesn't need to be any curve to the back cover panel, in the panel example before it was all squared off, i suspect that if paint hits the inside of the panel who cares, the fan blades will unless we mount them in a tube with filter mater over both ends
  3. the floating panel where we hold the artwork could be mounted on doweling rods use a peg board so we can have any size art paper needed
how is that for some thoughts on the project

Nice work!! I guess I don't have a buyer for my j58... :)
j58 was the jet engine for the sr-71, while there is no such think as overkill only open fire and reload (maxim 37) i think using a military jet engine for fume extraction might qualify

Personally I'm not concerned about fumes I only use water based paint.
I've just got home so give me a little while to put the feed bag on then I'll try and figure out where we're at :)

j58 was the jet engine for the sr-71, while there is no such think as overkill only open fire and reload (maxim 37) i think using a military jet engine for fume extraction might qualify
maybe... at least you won't have to worry about paint fumes... and it smells great!!

for anyone with input, you've got 4 days to provide an opinion.... otherwise I go it alone. as long as I stay away from sharp objects I hopefully wont have the same fate as poor @Madbrush

I do believe that that dumb bastard Madbrush is never going to live it down, I wouldn't mind but I'm not even blond, but never mind, since the forum first began I have always made it my life's work to be always taking one for the team, so I can take it, plus if I'm getting it in the arse, everyone else gets some peace:thumbsup:

You don't have to stay away from sharp objects, but please please please, just be very careful with them, again "Princess Dumbbrush" makes these mistakes so others don't have to and everyone can see without personal risk what the perils can be:whistling:

Perhaps my thread should have been in the SBS section and made a sticky since it is a blow by blow account of what can happen when one does not show their blades the respect and possibly the fear they deserve.

And just so you know, I have learned something from the experience, I watched Texas chainsaw massacre once again last night, and this time I didn't laugh once because I now have a pretty good idea of just how risky a chainsaw can be:eek::confused::eek:

So no input to this particular project? I promise that no mad rushed will be harmed in the process :p

I may even revoke your princess status

My only advice...pay for nothing..$25 dollars is much to expensive for a fan, just pinch one from your partners computer..they'll never know LOL..It will be a bit of experimenting to make a similar style floating panel as i'm sure you would find that specific grooves are likely cut into the base, i doubt it would just be an open cavity behind the floating panel as I feel that may loose a lot of draw, even the gap size between the two will likely be critical and to duct that correctly may take a bit of work and experimenting..Easiest method would be to build a box that can sit two fans side by side,, behind the fans I'd but somekind of filtering material or panel thats easily removed for cleaning and then duct the exhaust outside.It may need more draw to actually help expel the contaminants so you could always mount another fan on the end of the extraction hose) off the front of the box attach two 100 mm ducts (May need a reducing styled duct fitting to go from 200mm down to 100mm. On the end of the two pipes mount a long wide sloted vaccuum head (Steal them too if you have too, but I'm sure ebay has some, bout 40 cm is the longest I could find but move into pool cleaner heads if ya want bigger, believe it or not the vacuum heads are a really good idea because they have wheels and anything with wheels is good, and it finally makes a vacuum useful for most men Ooops did I say that LOL :)..make a basic frame that allows you to flex and bend the two arms into any needed position or some kind of attachment method to your easel...Mount one on each side..Done :)..The floating panel just sounds too hard LOL

oh and one more piece of advice, make sure the fans are sucking and not blowing LOL, you'd be amazed how many computers I've fixed for peeps that the fans are backwards LOL

Back