How I do bricks.

There it is! Been waiting for this:) Thank you very much. *reading now*

Edit: read through it, excellent advice. I'll be trying myself today. Thumbs up
Make sure and post up what you got! I will be watching for it! :thumbsup:

Well, I already did an attempt, but I'm not quite happy. Here it is:

dag_mur.png

I tried your method, Nada, I just found it very hard, maybe cause I use a smaller scale? In the picture above, I more or less just experimented, used brush for the lines.

Anyway, please give me feedback and tips. I will give it another shot later, following your method more closely:) I think the bricks look a little flat. I put highlights on them, but only the ones in the light. What I did here was to paint everyting in regular color first, then paint the grafitti with transparents, and then mask it and use transparent purple on top for the shadowed area. Is this an ok way to do it?

Edit: I also realize that the shading is a bit off. I would have done it more gradient and fixed the corner if I was to do it again.

-Dag

Last edited by a moderator:
That's looking pretty good. With your colors I would've tinted my original colors for my shadows. Just a darker color of your original is a general shadow rule. Those are more like stone blocks from the shaping, tint your brick color and add some random tinting to create the illusion of a rough surface..... very lightly. More a mottled affect and it will start coming to life.

cool! thanks Nada:) I'll give it another go later today if i find the time!

That's looking pretty good. With your colors I would've tinted my original colors for my shadows. Just a darker color of your original is a general shadow rule. Those are more like stone blocks from the shaping, tint your brick color and add some random tinting to create the illusion of a rough surface..... very lightly. More a mottled affect and it will start coming to life.

Although your method for shading/shadows probably works, the general rule for shadows is a colour completely opposite on the colour wheel, for example, Dag's bricks are predominantly orange therefore it's opposite would be blue, so a very pale transparent blue would allow him to build up and gradiate his shadows without deviating from the original colour, making the original colour darker for shadows will cause some deviation from the intended colour and by going over it too many times may give a dirty/muddy effect.

I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm trying to teach you and hope this doesn't offend you, but I felt the need to point it out, although your method is fine for one or two passes, it could go very wrong if you relied too much on it, certainly if a lot more passes were needed. :tired:

Although your method for shading/shadows probably works, the general rule for shadows is a colour completely opposite on the colour wheel, for example, Dag's bricks are predominantly orange therefore it's opposite would be blue, so a very pale transparent blue would allow him to build up and gradiate his shadows without deviating from the original colour, making the original colour darker for shadows will cause some deviation from the intended colour and by going over it too many times may give a dirty/muddy effect.

I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm trying to teach you and hope this doesn't offend you, but I felt the need to point it out, although your method is fine for one or two passes, it could go very wrong if you relied too much on it, certainly if a lot more passes were needed. :tired:

Not offended at all, this is the reason I ask. I came to the same conclusion myself earlier. I just had never tried this method before, and also never tried transparents before, I imagined that enough purple layers would make the trick, but I now see that its not the way to go. The next one will be far better, but now I at least have an attempt/experience.

Edit: also, I won't hijack Nada's excellent post. My next post will be in WIP or similar

Thanks mad i hadn't even considered opposite of the color wheel for shadows ... this is going to be very helpful on a LOT of work. Im not very good with colors yet. I mean I knew adding opposite colors TO my paint never ON MY PAPER!

Just to clarify, taking my picture as an example; i should have painted the orange bricks in the light and the blue bricks in the shadow, instead of using transparemt layers, but should i also have used blue in between the bricks that are in the light? They would also be in the shade since they are in between the bricks that get light

Edit: scuse my bad english, i may have misunderstood madbrush' post. I was thinking about painting the shaded area in another color instead of going over w transparents like i did this time, but what you (madbrush) mean, is that i should continue to try and use transparents for shadows? My original colors were bad in this case, but thats another thing

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to clarify, taking my picture as an example; i should have painted the orange bricks in the light and the blue bricks in the shadow, instead of using transparemt layers, but should i also have used blue in between the bricks that are in the light? They would also be in the shade since they are in between the bricks that get light

No, you paint all your bricks orange and build your shadows with transparent pale blue until you get all different intensities you want.

No, you paint all your bricks orange and build your shadows with transparent pale blue until you get all different intensities you want.
I just edited my previous post before u answered, but yes, then i understand u. Thanks!

Back