how much the spray pattern changes when using the crown cap?

Patrick Van Laere

Gravity Guru
yesterday after many dagger strokes for the fur I bent the needle again on my Olympos MP200b :(
maybe the crown cap prevent this!

but how much difference does it make with or without using it for thin lines?
now I have to buy a new needle or maybe the sharpen air.

I have the 2 sprong needle caps on all my airbrushes for that reason and I havent bend a needle since I started to use those caps about 8 or 9 years ago
the spray pattern is the same compared to spraying without the crown cap

I have the 2 sprong needle caps on all my airbrushes for that reason and I havent bend a needle since I started to use those caps about 8 or 9 years ago
the spray pattern is the same compared to spraying without the crown cap
from now on I will better protect my needle and nozzle and I have a spare needle :thumbsup:

The reason a lot of folks either take off the crown cap is to the can see where the needle it . Spray pattern is the same .
Having the 2 prong cap allows you to see the needle and clean tip dry better.

this was indeed the reason for the protective cap to be removed from the airbrush,
to clean tip dry better using a cotton swab, but go buy a 2 prong cap anyway ;-)

And to stop splattering from paint build (my micron is a shocker!) up on the crown cap. On my eclipse there is a slightly finer pattern but it is a fully enclosed cap.

Paint never came close to any of my needle caps. I've never had build up no matter how big I cranked open the paint or pressure. I use my self made two pronged caps so that I can see the tip better. A well made cap is a hair width longer than the needle. It is there so that you can not touch the needle against the painting's surface. If you drop the gun it offers no protection, it will just bend and the needle will still be busted. Only a full cap can protect against a drop because the solid cylindrical shape does not give way that easily. Crown caps still bends easily when dropped. Too much space between the fingers that weakens the structure.

I agree with Andre on this the 2 sprong's should be short and like Andre I made my own 1 from a stock 4 sprong micron cap and one from the closed cap of the HP SB if you add a needle cap like this to your airbrush dont drop it ;)

yesterday after many dagger strokes for the fur I bent the needle again on my Olympos MP200b :(
maybe the crown cap prevent this!

but how much difference does it make with or without using it for thin lines?
now I have to buy a new needle or maybe the sharpen air.
buy the sharpen air and save money in the long run:thumbsup:

Back