How to Airbrush a Space Scene!

Cheers guys, ill try both suggestions and let you know how it goes

Both seemed to work better at the lower psi setting. Just need to parctice tons more as keep getting larger splatter along with the required smaller ones. It doesnt look to bad though. Below is my 1st picture with an airbrush. Any tips on where/how i can improve this besides more practice as will be doing that anyway. Thanks
IMAG0094.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0094.jpg
    IMAG0094.jpg
    368.5 KB · Views: 50
Hi Rob

First of all like you, I'm new to this, but I do have one or two suggestions.

The first and most important, Not compulsory, but every piece I work on I have an old piece of paper next to my easel which I use to practise each technique on before I set about the real piece, this give you an idea how it will look when you do it for real, even if you've done a specific technique before, each time you do it, it won't be exactly the same as the last.

I notice the small planet has a shadow in the middle of it, but this shout really be at the back of, or the side furthest away from the bright light, unless of course there are 2 light sources, the blue haze around the bigger planet is maybe too much, should probably be somewhat lighter and less sharp, you can fix this easily by going over it with transparent white while making use of a shield around the planet's edges.

you can get the splatter effect more even if you keep your airbrush and knife moving while you do it, although in real space it wouldn't want to be too even.

Lastly although I won't criticize your clouds, you can get a very realistic clouds effect by ripping a piece of scotchbrite and using this as stencil round the edges of the clouds.

All in it's a very good beginning, and to make you feel loads better, the bright light shining makes me want to put my hands over my eyes, and that really is an achievement, I give you 11 out of 10 for that.

Keep at it Rob, your closer than you think.

I think I need to have a go at this myself, if I can find some black paper

Cheers MB, The small planet does have 2 light sources acting upon it, top left and bottom right. The star burst and blue haze is actually a little duller on the paper compared to the pic. But i did put a lot of blue there as it didnt look very 'blue' at the time. Will get some scotchbrite and try that out. Thanks for the info.

hey MB from what you said last time about using Fig 8 on the planets, i loved how yours look so i tried it out IMG2429.jpg had another go at it its on canvas 2$ canvas =)

hey MB from what you said last time about using Fig 8 on the planets, i loved how yours look so i tried it out View attachment 2285 had another go at it its on canvas 2$ canvas =)

Looks good, I like your texture better than my own because it looks less unformed, that makes more real, I'll be doing a lot more with the figure 8, the effect is cool.

Nice job you've done here.

hey MB from what you said last time about using Fig 8 on the planets, i loved how yours look so i tried it had another go at it

Like the texture ck a lot and there is a real depth to the far planet, that's one of the trickiest bits to get right. Only tip I would use a plate or something round to get a nice crisp line around the planet. I have a sort of compass with a blade in it which was fairly cheap in an art shop that I use for cutting circles. Good stuff

cheers cordy , yea its a bit fuzzy, i tried getting ahead of myself and adding some craters but messed up so had to redo the moon lol

as always, your teachings are simple to understand and very, very useful ;)

cheers cordy , yea its a bit fuzzy, i tried getting ahead of myself and adding some craters but messed up so had to redo the moon lol

Try cutting out lots of circles and making a stencil then concentrate on making them look like good three dimensional spheres, trying to get the textures in before you have masted the light and shade is tricky. Look at lots of planets on google or the NASA website to give you some idea, getting the dark and light side right will really make it stand out. Also try it on white paper first as you have to work more to get the dark side right but it will help you improve quicker. On a lot of planets you don't see any textures because the atmosphere surrounding it or the make up of the planet itself, they are some of the more spectacular and beautiful to look at.
Some times less is more, keep them simple with bright colours against the darkness of space and nebulas :)
Hope that helps mate, practice and have fun and of course don't forget to spread the love:)

nice one for the advice cordy
ive just bought some stencils off amazon so that should help a bit, i used a roll of tape for that one but it was a bit beaten up so the planet had odd dents round it which i tried smoothing out and then the fixup of my feck up lol
its only a case for a broken hd recorder and the best bit is its easy to clean off and is now progressing into a pic of either worzel gummidge/noel gallagherhttp://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=e...GoCg&ved=0CE4QvwUoAQ&q=noel+gallagher&spell=1 , fingers crossed itl look like howard marks when finished lol
then its back to the exercises for a while i just fancied a break to try and get more control of the brush while getting into it instead of small bursts of dots,lines and dagger strokes
thanks again for the advice :eagerness:

Here is mine. A local art shop had a fabric painting competition so I painted the top of my studio apron.

apron_02_sml.jpg

Back