For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

How to do portraits

Discussion in 'What would you like to learn here?' started by Graywolf, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Graywolf

Graywolf Spider Splatterer

Hi gang I'm trying to do a portrait of my mom and dad and I'm having trouble with the whole thing really. But here is what I've done so far I had used a projector to get the image done on the foam boards and I'm using the trident paints for the flesh colors but for some reason my isn't coming out as smooth as I have seen that others have done. But when it comes to doing the noses and the lips are looking like a big cartoon almost and when I finish the section that I've been working on and try to erase the lines that I've drawn it mess the designs up really bad. And I've made a promise to my mom that I would do the portrait but now we had to call hospice in for her and her health is falling extremely quick so its a matter of time that I'm trying to beat so she can see it. So if you all can help with this favor I would be extremely grateful to you all. When ever she tries to sleep I try to airbrush but I'm going back and forward to check on her and to get her anything she is wanting. Thank You All In Advance God Bless everyone.
  2. Ronald art

Ronald art Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

I never painted on foam board but I can imagine it will be real hard to erase your pencil lines as the foam is real soft , as far as I know trident paints are not designed to be erased so that will be not easy either .
    Apart from these 2 things painting a portrait is all about shapes and shades so make sure all your shapes are 100% right. and keep a close eye on the shades ( colors)
  3. Graywolf

Thank you for your input I'll keep that in mind
  4. markjthomson

markjthomson AKA Quick Draw !! Staff Member Mod

Airbrush tutor has some good stuff on this subject. A lot of guidelines are available on you tube. Use coloured pencils, they mark well and don't dent, foam board is sensitive to dents. Also check out this section about "air lang" to get an idea of how to go about marking out the shapes. http://www.airbrushforum.org/thread...-what-effects-go-where-shapes-enlarging.2127/ I just finished the video tutorial using the same reference he uses here. Really good explanation. If you have time (and about $90 Aus) it is well worth the work. As far as colour matching... that is a tricky one... lots of practice!!
  5. Graywolf

Thank you so much for the information I'll be checking it out Thanks once again and have a safe holidays
    markjthomson likes this.
  6. haasje dutchairbrush

haasje dutchairbrush Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

If you start out with portraits I'd strongly advise to start out with a monochrome one. This will help you get to grips with how to get shapes/forms and greyscales onto the canvas. When you have a good idea on how that works start with a color portrait so the only thing you need to learn at that point is the use and behavour of color ( learn to walk before running a marathon :p).

There are serveral step by steps on monochrome portraits in the step by step section of the forum.

A pretty extensive one I did on the subject can be found there also: http://www.airbrushforum.org/threads/black-and-white-portrait-skin-texture.14178/
    afterdark, basepaint, jagardn and 2 others like this.
  7. musicmacd

musicmacd Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

Can you post a pic? That will give a better idea of where you're at, and what what you need to focus on.
  8. Jar

Jar Spider Splatterer

Be brave and post a pic. Then the pros out here can really help you. I know it's tough to put your work out there, however you would get pin point critique on what it is to improve.
  9. markjthomson

markjthomson AKA Quick Draw !! Staff Member Mod

We like pictures... :)
  10. The dude

The dude Elite Member! Elite Member!

We love pics :thumbsup: