For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

How to get my portraits the most accurate as possible

Discussion in 'What would you like to learn here?' started by Samuraieye, Dec 11, 2016.

1. Samuraieye

Samuraieye Young Tutorling

I can do portraits but I want to learn techniques to take them to the next level like dru blair level.
    Im really interested in black and white portraits. Mine now look more freehanded blurred Idk something like that lol would like to learn some different ways creating the most accurate black and white portraits. Screen Shot 2016-12-10 at 9.59.09 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-12-10 at 9.58.57 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-12-10 at 9.58.13 PM.png
    MeeshellMP, The dude and musicmacd like this.
  2. JackEb

JackEb The Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

Welcome aboard.
    Please don't take offense but if you wish to learn how to paint like Dru then your next step is to do one of his portrait courses. Nobody here is going to tell you what Dru would do. That's Dru's income and we're not about to intrude on that.

You could however search the works in progress or step by step sections of the forum for some of our tips on sharpening g up portraits.

What paints and equipment are you currently using ?
  3. Samuraieye

Your right Dru classes are What I need thank you
  4. Vladimir

Vladimir Mac-Valve Maestro!

A looooot of golden info is there on the forum! It will definitely improve you very good level portraits. They're real good:thumbsup:
    Reading the threads in SBS section is the key;)
  5. RebelAir

RebelAir Air-Valve Autobot!

Dru doesn't do anything really thats top secret that many others don't know but to be fair, its something that takes two to three days to explain, 40-50 hours of painting time per portrait with someone over your shoulder correcting you and set techniques and sequences..Thats just not something someone else can explain in a mere post..Takes at least a book worth of explaining to even get close lol, so would suggest the same..If you want to paint like dru, do he's course if you can or someone of similar level and understanding..But I'd personally argue that the freehand methods look better but thats a personal opinion..Some like photographic looking work, some like the softness that the airbrush in essence was created to do..For me freehand creates a more true portrait, photorealism creates a photo real portrait and thats not how we actually see faces in real life, instead how they appear in a photo. Freehand for me brings more of the artist into the piece and for me photorealism is akin to replicating a printing machine and can be static and devoid of the artist. :)..i think your portraits are awesome and well done but very smooth, almost to smooth, learn how to add some texture, erasing, some scratching techniques (not my fave but does help bring in some photo like quality) and there are heaps of threads around here on such and you'll be on a really good path and may discover some of those aspects yourself and save a few bucks in the process..Or if photorealism is your goal, a course will def cut a few years of that skill aquisition. Alternatively go and watch some oil and acrylic painters on Youtube who do photorealism also, essentially its a very similar layering sequence, just done with the hairy brush instead.Good luck :)
  6. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Mod

I agree with rebel, look for some texture techniques, to give more depth to your work. There is lots around here, try checking some of the SBS, all of the pic of the month winners should have links to WIP's which may show or tell methods used, and check out the airbrush tutors videos, he demonstrates some textures which can be used in many applications and has a couple of portrait projects too.

Also if someone posts something you like, you can ask the poster if they would mind sharing their method. And if there is something specific, you could try posting a thread and if people have time they may post a mini SBS or be able to link you to earlier posts :)
    RebelAir likes this.
  7. Samuraieye

Thanks everybody