For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

how to : hot rod flame reverse masking ?

Discussion in 'General Airbrush Discussion' started by jackbaza, Feb 25, 2017.

1. jackbaza

jackbaza Young Tutorling

Hi all :)
    This isn't just a, how do I question .
    Using 3mm tape Ive laid out the lines and masked of the negative area, then sprayed the paint .
    Then I removed all tape and masking :)
    This is where my problem starts .......
    The flame " licks", are very fine at the point . Do I try to reverse tape or friskit these ends ? Or do I get as close as I can with the masking and then pin stripe ? :thumbsdown:
    My second question please .... Which pin stripe paint can I use over water based paint, before clear coat ?
    Thanks for any advice
  2. Mr.Micron

Mr.Micron Royal pain in the air hose Admin

Almost all hotrod flame use pin stripes . One Shot will work just fine over your paint.
    as for your other question Have a look at these two videos by Ed Hubbs , and while they may be showing how to do different effects he also talks about old school hot rod flames .
    MeeshellMP and jackbaza like this.
  3. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Mod

One shot is popular and I believe there is an additive you can use to be able to clear over it. Usually though, you clear then stripe.
    jackbaza likes this.
  4. Leakyvalve

Leakyvalve Young Tutorling

Coast airbrush Live at Five has been showing off some HOK striping stuff that is supposed to be pretty cool and you can clear over without problems. Those videos are on their facebook page.
    MeeshellMP and jackbaza like this.
  5. michael13

michael13 Needle-chuck Ninja Very Likeable!

Back mask with whatever you are more comfortable with fine line and mask or frisket/app tape. As for the pinstriping as micron said most hot rod flames are striped. To do this I would:
    1.first clearcoat the job and let dry
    2. stripe with one shot and your done or if you want pinstripe under clear then scuff clear to give tooth for more clearcoat after striping.
    3.pinstripe with HOK and clear or
    4.pinstripe with Oneshot but add a few drops of your clearcoat hardener to it to prevent the oneshot reacting with the urathane clear. Let cure for 24hrs then clear.
    jackbaza likes this.