How to make an image look underwater..

Nada

Air-Valve Autobot!
I need some help here guys. I have this picture I did one month into airbrushing and I intend to start over and do it up a lot better. Since there is no reference I cannot wrap my head on how to make it look underwater instead of looking like it is in top of the water...I know colors would be different however I want to retain a Cartoony feel ... this is for my 18 month old Grandaughter. Ava2.jpg

This is cute, Nada. i would suggest that you should Google some underwater images of people. For the most part of it, their colors would takeon a different hue. Hope this helps...

Yeah I have looked at some underwater images.. She is obsessed with Bubbleguppies.

As Zotilraxx said, take a look at some references. Here is an example of one. with a sample taken of the skins mid tone on the face.

The skin tone will take on a subtle shift of the surrounding water color from reflected light. Since skin tones are a grayish orange, when the surrounding blue effects the skin tone, it is even more desaturated becoming more gray.

Screen Shot 2014-05-25 at 10.00.26 AM.jpg

Thanks Jeff. I am just getting to where I am reading about colors and color theory.. I barely am starting to grasp greyscales. When I start producing some art, I feel like i was wasting the last 40 plus years because I can at times suprise myself with how good SOME things look. Then I usually stuff something up and think.. "I suck" Hah!

Thanks Jeff. I am just getting to where I am reading about colors and color theory.. I barely am starting to grasp greyscales. When I start producing some art, I feel like i was wasting the last 40 plus years because I can at times suprise myself with how good SOME things look. Then I usually stuff something up and think.. "I suck" Hah!

Don't sweat it man, we all have our good days and bad days. It's all about realizing your mistakes and taking the steps to fix them.

Back