I have a shop compressor - need air brush tool(s)

S

SquattingDog

Hello,

I have an air compressor and tank in my shop and figured I would use it until I have a better understanding of air brushing. The noise isn't an issue since it's located outside. My logic being I could save the money on the cost of a air brush specific compressor and use the money saved on other tools used in air brushing.

So assuming I can do that, I'm looking on suggestions on what to buy since I'm new to air brushing and have absolutely no equipment but I have air brushed a 'little' in school but that was a long time ago. Specifics would be appreciated.

-SD

Congrats on taking the plunge! You'll want some kind of filtration/moisture trap between your compressor & your brush, saves you the headaches & cursing when your compressor vomits water all over your project. :p

What kind of work are you interested in doing? Canvas/paper, t-shirts, automotive?

Currently I'm into aluminum art grinding and will be using an air-brush for that, so more along the automotive scenario.

Forget about the airbrush compressor. What you have is better. Run a line to your work space with an extra regulator and moisture trap. If you are looking for gun, get an Iwata Eclipse. The bottom feed is 0.5mm and the others are 0.3 or 0.35 can't remember which. They will last you for many years. The new Candie 2.O from Createx goes nicely with grinded aluminium.

Actually Coast airbrush did a live feed yesterday at 5 using Candie 2.0 from Createx. It would be worth watching and making a decision.

Paint on

Forget about the airbrush compressor. What you have is better. Run a line to your work space with an extra regulator and moisture trap. If you are looking for gun, get an Iwata Eclipse. The bottom feed is 0.5mm and the others are 0.3 or 0.35 can't remember which. They will last you for many years. The new Candie 2.O from Createx goes nicely with grinded aluminium.

Ok, thanks, IF (notice the IF) I went that route, then exactly 'which' Iwata Eclipse? Remember I'm new to this. Next, where is a good reliable place for purchasing stuff like this. Bottle feed or gravity feed etc.?

Last edited by a moderator:
Talking about aluminium works, we're close to what airbrush to choose. I'm agree with Andre, your good choice is bottom feed Eclipse. It has 0.5mm stock setup, but you can by 0.35mm setup freely without much expanses. If you have big compressor, I could presume you've got ventilated shop, so it's not an issue to use solvent based candies and paints.

Depends on size of the work you want to do, if large coverage then a bottom feed brush may suit as they hold more paint. However I use and always recommend the eclipse hp-cs which is .35. I use it for bikes, but also other things, its very versatile. You can also buy a .5 nozzle and needle version which has a larger cup. Or just get the larger needle and nozzle to swap it the .35 if needed.

I use a 250 litre compressor, its great loud but doesn't refill much. Def get a good water trap, and maybe an inline one too. Plus you will need to get an adapter from 1/4 inch to 1/8th inch hose. You can get quick disconnects which I find easier. If you still want to use other tools you can get a T piece from the compressor and run two lines, and put a separate regulator on your AB line. Then you can still use the other line to run airtools or whatever.

... at the moment I've done nothing larger than 18 " to 24"" x 48" long/wide sheets of aluminum. Paint wise I had a shop mix some candy color in a spray can for me, that's it. I doubt I'll be doing anything larger in the foreseeable future. I just want to make sure to purchase the correct airbrush and accessories for this type of work to start out.

Back