For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

I,ve Started

Discussion in 'Open Bar!' started by Dalboy, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Dalboy

Dalboy Double Actioner

Well not sure really where to put this but here goes. Some of you know that I am a real beginner at this here lark of Airbrushing and want to do it so that I can decorate wooden turned bowls which is my main hobby. I have decorated some already but not using an airbrush see a few pictures to give you an idea.
    All of the paints are acrylic.

Anyway today I set up the unit and decided to have a practice using only black paint started with doing lines and getting use to the double action on the airbrush and soon found out where I turned off the paint and air at the same time as when I went to do the next line I would get a small splatter, so that was lesson 1.
    Now I tried to do the same but at different distance from the paper yep that seemed to work but by this time the airbrush appeared to be playing up then remembered that the paint dries at the tip lesson two learnt.
    After a lot of this line drawing I decided just to have a play at one of the stencils I made just for a break well even then another lesson be careful of getting over spray. Well that was my first introduction to this here airbrushing lark and I realise that I still have a lot to learn OH well one day at a time take it easy don't rush and yes the exercises are there for a reason so will keep at them until happy to attempt anything on a lovely turned master piece.
    At least even though it is mainly repetitive I have enjoyed the first day of this Airbrushing

Attached Files:

2. Micha der Wolf

Micha der Wolf Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

Beautiful art! I love all of these effects!

Gesendet von meinem SM-G388F mit Tapatalk
    Dalboy likes this.
  3. Dalboy

Dalboy Double Actioner

If you have had a bad day then this will give you a good laugh, by the way I am thick skinned so I can take criticism without it how do we learn. The other side is also full of lines and dots and I binned another sheet so had plenty of playing.

Thank you.

Attached Files:

4. markjthomson

markjthomson Very happy! Staff Member Mod

Nice - nothing wrong with that sheet for your first day! But no dots... :p Keep it up!
    Dalboy likes this.
  5. JackEb

JackEb Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

You have used your time well while waiting for supplies.
    You have obviously read a lot of the theory because your brain was telling you correct procedure when you tripped up. It's a good sign that you recognized a problem and were able to provide yourself with a solution.

There will be a lot of problem solving, associated frustrations and regular satisfactions as you start your journey but I think you are going to be a fast learner !
    markjthomson likes this.
  6. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Mod

Yep you are spotting the issues, so you will be able to correct them and move forward well. I always said the only reason I learnt to airbrush was by finding out what didn't work and trying to avoid doing it. Eventually only the right way will be left lol. Looks like you've had a great start. But add some dots to your tests. Lines are just moving dots after all. And getting crisp clean dots in the place you want, at the size you want , and the colour density you want, will make your lines benefit. If you haven't already seen them go to the airbrush tutors link on the homepage, and check out his free tutorials (you will have to register separately). There are exercises and printable sheets there for dots lines and blends. And also projects you can put your exercises into practice with. Most people start with 'the eye'.
  7. Dalboy

Dalboy Double Actioner

Thank you everyone I did some dots on the sheet I binned and on the back of this one, I believe in not wasting paper
    JackEb likes this.
  8. Tocean

Tocean Double Actioner

Off to a good start!

The bowls/vases are great, I have an old wooden cup my great grandmother made and painted, she was Cherokee Indian.
    Dalboy likes this.