For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

I would like to learn.......

Discussion in 'What would you like to learn here?' started by shadow2462, Sep 29, 2013.

1. shadow2462

shadow2462 Elite Member! Elite Member!

I came to this thread thinking to update what I said when I first started, and to my surprise I realized I had never posted to it. When we start we tend to have too many expectations because we want that proverbial "brass ring", but we don't fully understand the journey we are about to take. Anyway to say what I came here to say...First of all I have already gotten so much more from this forum/group of people than I ever thought I would and I'm only three or so months into it. When it comes to what I want to learn is going to be an ever changing thing. Right now I am waiting on a new line of paint that I have never used so I will take some time to figure them out, and my biggest items at this point are PATIENCE, KEEPING OPEN MIND, which only I can do but what Mitch and everyone here can is DONT STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING. There is more I want to learn and when I'm ready I will look to the "orange"!!
    basepaint likes this.
  2. splasha

splasha Detail Decepticon!

I guess there will always be something we don't know and, as such, there will always be something we want to learn to do.
    My wife said" I don't teach nothin' but if you follow my lead and do as I do, then on your own head be it!"
    Something there for us all?
  3. Mr.Micron

Mr.Micron Royal pain in the air hose Admin

There were a lot of things I wanted to learn and do when I first started airbrushing. A lot of them I have learned But like everything in life I keep on practicing them over and over again to get it the best I can .
    So I understand about wanting to learn..
  4. airbrushingferret

airbrushingferret Air-Valve Autobot!

which line of paint ?
  5. Tom Sherman

Tom Sherman Young Tutorling

I turn wood and I have been told that every cut is a practice cut, I guess the same thing could be said of AB every stroke is practice. We continue to learn till we fade away.
  6. Oddball

Oddball Detail Decepticon!

Slightly off topic but could be relevant: I have trained my own gun dogs for almost 50 years (yes I'm that old) and I will tell you something, I never taught a single dog to to anything! All I do is suppress the bad points, the dog has to have the natural instinct, which I encourage, already in it to be any good.
    Also, I was an offshore sailing instructor for 11 years and when I took courses for people who wanted their Skippers ticket I didn't so much as teach them, they knew how to sail, I taught them how to approach problems and problem solving! How to think through the best way to achieve what they intend to do.
    Now I see no difference with the Air Brush. Someone who has no natural Eye - Hand coordination will find it difficult to manipulate the AB and to actually construct a picture with masking and back masking and layers of paint ad infinitum, a person needs to be able to think an action through and solve problems ...... Thats one of the buzzes for me :)
  7. RebelAir

RebelAir Air-Valve Autobot!

When its all said and done airbrushing is like any skill, one that can be learnt, but like anything it all depends on your desire to actually learn it. If half-hearted, that's exactly the level you reach in anything, if fully committed, that to will reflect in your skillset in a said subject..I like to study numerous things, wld rather be a Jack of all trades and a master at none, at the moment I'm on Banking History and its actually quite interesting but 3 weeks ago couldnt have told ya a thing about it, it all comes down to desire or the timing is right to soak that info in, only prob is my brain is now full and deleting other stuff when new stuff comes along LOLOL
    LovesArt and matty171 like this.
  8. mickolaus

mickolaus Double Actioner

Shadow, my biggest enemy is my lack of patience. I'm working on it though. Because of this lack of patience, I turned to fabric painting (t-shirts etc) and I'm in here learning how to use waterbased paint. I did all laquers on cars and such when young. Lungs probably look like I smoked paint!
  9. JackEb

JackEb The Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

All I want to learn is that which I do not already know.
    Tomorrow I may know what I do not know today.
    I know what I know and am putting that into practise!
    LovesArt likes this.
  10. mickolaus

Thank you jackEb, that's what I have done most of my life and will continue to practise...
    JackEb likes this.
  11. Mr. Magoo

Mr. Magoo Spider Splatterer

Why do I always have to remind myself that: You get out what you put in. Like a bank account, its too often over-drawn.
    Squishy, RichardH and JackEb like this.
  12. mickolaus

shadow, I agree with everything you said. I have learned allot seeing all of the great art work and the sbs"s. This is a great forum and as soon as my life settles down, I hope to be showing my work. Thanks to all for the info, how to's and all of the great comadery that I have found here. I did work with different airbrushes since the seventies, and doing large, like vans and such, but only now am I taking on the art of illustration and working with brushes that require allot more fine tuning and care. I hope I do ok. Thanks to you all! :):thumbsup:
    JackEb likes this.