illustration black and white

T

tucky

hello my name is johnny cash. does anyone no a good way to make an easy gray other than using illustration black...the ratio of white to black is way to much paint for me to waste.....20 to 1 for a light gray and it still was not that light...

input is welcome.

Then don't use drop. Just dip the tip of a tooth pick in some black and stir it into the white. Otherwise buy one of the % greys that com-art has. The start at 10% and go up to 60%. The latter can give you almost black.

But if you want to do a monochrome painting, just use over reduced black. Then you can build it up.

that is usually how i do a painting, but i like the look of opaque..seems more solid to me..are the com art grays transparent or opaque

When you buy your paint just buy a small bottle of black to a couple of big bottles of white, its always handy to have spare white laying around when you start mixing and make up a decent amount of light, medium and dark grey, use a whole bottle of white if it comes down to it..This way everytime you do a greyscale, all your greys are mixed and ready to go and if you don't use it all, just tip it back in..

that is usually how i do a painting, but i like the look of opaque..seems more solid to me..are the com art grays transparent or opaque

I believe they are opaques. They are designed for photo retouching. I bought them.. Kit H...for a monochrome workshop but ended up using transparent black instead. So, I haven't even opened them. They are only marked in percentages of gray and don't designate trans. or opaque.

Loren

I know this is a very old thread but there is an old school answer to this, mix blue and orange to get gray. Learned this in a sign shop. FAR less stirring required, even if you need to add a little dark or light.

Back