In the mind of a beginner..

Matwes

The Analog Kid
Don't know if it's appropriate, but I thought I could post my little beginners thread here. Ranting about my progress and shortcomings. Asking questions...

So here I am after a couple of evenings spraying. Having a hard time getting to know the ab, PSI and colors.. Ab is spitting like crazy, clogging up the nozzle and giving me a bad head ace. ;)

I bought my Iwata HP-CS second hand and the previous owner haven't cleaned it thoroughly. I spent some time yesterday evening to clean the whole brush , especially the nozzle. Now it seems to work as it's supposed. From now on it's only up to me I believe.. ;)

Is it normal that the ab is clogging up after a while spraying at close distance with low PSI?

Clogging is more a reduction issue, than a pressure one I believe.
If the reduction is right [or close enough!], then your nozzle or whatever should be clog free [or virtually so!].
If this is happenning more than is reasonable, given the above conditions, then you may [MAY!] have other issues that need attention; but it doesn't appear so at this point.
It is good practise to thoroughly clean your ab after each use, but I have been guilty of leaving it till the next day.
I know, bad me!:whistling:

Hi, when you say "clogging up" what do you mean exactly?
It would also help if you told us what paint and reducer you are using.
It's very difficult to give advice unless we know the facts ....

Glad you found the fix. By clogging do you mean inside or outside on the needle? The latter is very common and we all battle with it. Inside should not clog too often if you keep it wet. I only clean the inside of the nozzle every couple of days.

Thanks a lot for fast replys!

I'm using ComArt colors.
Don't have any reducer, don't know what to use. Water?

By clogging i mean paint is not spraying when I pull the trigger back. Must be something's building up inside the ab. As splasha wrote, it would probably be a good idea to strain the paint. I got some used bottles with the ab, maybe there's speckles of dried paint.

Last edited:
I've not used Com Art but all ABs work on the same principle, if paint is too thick is won't spray.
Normally if you are not getting paint out it is either a blockage in the vent hole in the bottle or a dirty nozzle, its the action of the air passing between the nozzle cone and the cap which pulls the paint out.
I would check the vent hole, give the brush a really good clean (don't use anything metal or wire brushes as the cone, nozzle and needle are very delicate) You will find out that you brush really needs to be spotless! Then check your paint, you might have to strain it through an old pair of tights.

Thank you very much!

I've given the whole brush a good clean. I used a wooden tooth pick to clean inside the nozzle.

I've not used the lid, so it's not a problem with the vent hole.

After the clean up the ab worked well for say ten minutes or so then it started to spray uneven, or not at all. From what I've read here my guess is that the paint needs to be strained, and perhaps reduced a bit too.

Can I use tap water as a reducer?

I must say I really like this forum and all the friendly and helpful people here! :)

Last edited:
Hi and welcome. Now, at what pressure are you working? What means 'uneaven or not at all'? Did it spray if you pull the trigger really far back? As i read your doing some closeup work what needs to me as a beginner highly reduced paint and very lo pressure. What is your needle tip look like? If your gun stops spraying with low trigger movement and start again, usually with a bog splat, by pulling the trigger far back,you should consider tip dry as well.

Thank you very much!

I've given the whole brush a good clean. I used a wooden tooth pick to clean inside the nozzle.

I've not used the lid, so it's not a problem with the vent hole.

After the clean up the ab worked well for say ten minutes or so then it started to spray uneven, or not at all. From what I've read here my guess is that the paint needs to be strained, and perhaps reduced a bit too.

Can I use tap water as a reducer?

I must say I really like this forum and all the friendly and helpful people here! :)
You can use water as a reducer, i use com art and use a mix of water windowlene/windex with a couple of drops of glycerine works well

I don't use Com Art paint so I can't comment on whether you can use water but all paints will have their own reducer and to be honest I I been down the road of trying to do things on the cheap and trying to make do and it's a false economy, the time wasted trying things out and correcting things when they go wrong is really just wasted. these paint manufactures spend a lot of time working out formulas that work so I recon I am not gonna to better with stuff from under the sink :whistling:
My honest advice to anyone starting out is to give your self the best chance for success, You need the best equipment you can afford because it works, otherwise you will become frustrated with things continually going wrong and you won't know where to start correcting the problem.
Also with problem solving, don't change too much at the same time, or you wont work out what the problem was. do it methodically, change one thing then try it, if that don't work change one more thing and try it Etc.

Hi and welcome. Now, at what pressure are you working? What means 'uneaven or not at all'? Did it spray if you pull the trigger really far back? As i read your doing some closeup work what needs to me as a beginner highly reduced paint and very lo pressure. What is your needle tip look like? If your gun stops spraying with low trigger movement and start again, usually with a bog splat, by pulling the trigger far back,you should consider tip dry as well.

Thanks!

I'm practicing dots, lines and dagger strokes, big and really small, getting to know my gear.

I've been trying different pressure settings, from 5 PSI up to 35 PSI. Again, to get to know my gear.

What I mean with "uneven" is if I do a line the spray goes on and of along the way ending with nothing. No matter how far back I pull the trigger. If I clean the gun it'll work well again.

I guess this is all about me doing the wrong things, but I need to what I'm messing up. My guess it's a color problem, I guess I'll have to reduce the color a bit and perhaps strain it too.

You can use water as a reducer, i use com art and use a mix of water windowlene/windex with a couple of drops of glycerine works well

Cool, thanks!

Windex, window cleaner?
What mix ratio are you using with Com Art colors?

I don't use Com Art paint so I can't comment on whether you can use water but all paints will have their own reducer and to be honest I I been down the road of trying to do things on the cheap and trying to make do and it's a false economy, the time wasted trying things out and correcting things when they go wrong is really just wasted. these paint manufactures spend a lot of time working out formulas that work so I recon I am not gonna to better with stuff from under the sink :whistling:
My honest advice to anyone starting out is to give your self the best chance for success, You need the best equipment you can afford because it works, otherwise you will become frustrated with things continually going wrong and you won't know where to start correcting the problem.
Also with problem solving, don't change too much at the same time, or you wont work out what the problem was. do it methodically, change one thing then try it, if that don't work change one more thing and try it Etc.

We'll written, I will keep this in mind!

My ab is an Iwata Eclipse HP-CS bought on recommendation.

Thanks again! :)

Cool, thanks!

Windex, window cleaner?
What mix ratio are you using with Com Art colors?
Yes window cleaner lol i thought the same when i first heard it, as for the ratio it really depends on what your doing, if say i was doing a mono painting lets say using black, i would reduce up to 8:1 reducer/paint. Your window cleaner has to be ammonia free which is why i said the brand i did. If you need anymore help just holla and ill try my best to help you out
Water window cleaner 50/50 mix and just two or three drops of the glycerine
Peace

Comart is quite watery out of the bottle but you still need to reduce it unless youre running 30+ psi. Try 1 drop of paint to 4 drops of water "distilled" if possible. Use 20 psi and experiment from there. You should be able to have a good practise usg that combo, if not then i would say try some different paint as your stuff may have degaded. Food coloring is easy to spray. If that dont work then theres a problem with the gun.

Lee

I can certainly recommend using food colouring. I've got a load of Kroma Kolor. First reason - if I only have short amount of time, this is easy to clean out fast. It does not clog or give tip dry, using below 20 psi and you can go down to single figures. It's cheap, so great for practice. Does not need diluting. It allows me to spend more time painting and less time problem solving. Other than that I have some liquid watercolour that I thicken with FolkArt Acrylic thickener to do VERY fine lines.

I stopped by the grocery store on my way home from work. Bought glycerine and window cleaner. Hopefully reducing the colors will solve the "problem", I'm pretty sure it will.

Food colors sounds like a good idea for practicing, thanks a lot for the heads up!

Once again.. thank you all for being so kind! :p

I stopped by the grocery store on my way home from work. Bought glycerine and window cleaner. Hopefully reducing the colors will solve the "problem", I'm pretty sure it will.

Food colors sounds like a good idea for practicing, thanks a lot for the heads up!

Once again.. thank you all for being so kind! :p
Good luck and let us know how you get on

Back