Inexpensive Paints for Beiginners?

T

Teraurel

Hello again all of you. I was curious since I'm new to this if there is any type of inexpensive paints I can use for practicing with as I really dont want to waste expensive paints. Unless of course the difference between the more professional paints vs the generic types is very noticeable when painting. Again I would like to do automotive work so If anyone has any paint brand suggestions I'd appreciate it.
Thank you again for your time all and happy christmas.

Sincerely Sam

Hello again all of you. I was curious since I'm new to this if there is any type of inexpensive paints I can use for practicing with as I really dont want to waste expensive paints. Unless of course the difference between the more professional paints vs the generic types is very noticeable when painting. Again I would like to do automotive work so If anyone has any paint brand suggestions I'd appreciate it.
Thank you again for your time all and happy christmas.

Sincerely Sam

Sam , As far as affordable paint to start practicing with . Spectra-tex or Wicked.
But being you state you plan on doing mainly automotive work, I suggest you work with urethane based paints. It is not cheap but I am a full believer that learn a system you plan on using daily . You will learn the limits of the paint.
The in and outs of layout, tape outs, layering , But you also learn how much the safety equipment that goes with using them are too. Those cost add up to what you have in the total paint job. paint booth , heat lamps , a lot to think about.

But that can come after you master the basics of dots, dagger strokes , fades and blends , That all can be done with water based paints.
To start off just pick up black , white and reducer.

i painted half of a side of my car full with planes and stuff, took me a 2 oz bottle off white to map out, point is u use very little paint, i spend 40-80 $ a year on paint for a lot of us, it looks exspensive, but u use so little that u shouldn't go cheap

I don't know how well this works but I've seen where some would use food coloring and mop& glow for practicing

Mr. Micron pretty much said it all. I think Auto Air by Createx is a nice paint to use for learning how to Airbrush and paint automotive. They have some cool colors and their pearls and metallic's are pretty nice. You can use their reducer or make your own. They are water base paints and are a little bit cheaper than urethanes and you can pull off some nice pieces and prep,paint,and finish a panel like you would doing automotive work. After using both I personally like urethanes, but I still use my Auto Air paints on certain projects.

I suggest you work with urethane based paints, beacose is totali diferent fealing from water based paints,
try with PPG, DeBeer, Standox or some other automotive refinishing brand.

If its automotive work you want to do then I would recommend using products that work for your application .
Auto air when reduced will go along way . I recommend there transparent colors for airbrush . You can use the semi qpaques but they won't spray as smooth as the transparents . We use the semi opaque a for solid fill in and like to recommend a touch up gun or spraygun for the bases . House of Kolor is king when it comes to the urathanes .
Here at coast airbrush we offer it in various sizes and in no mess bottles . We can sell it pre thinned but prefer to teach you how to use it by reducing on your own . Our online tv channel coast airbrush tv has videos on both brands that are very helpful . There is a product overview and mixing video for HOK . We have one comming soon for Auto Air .

If its automotive work you want to do then I would recommend using products that work for your application .
Auto air when reduced will go along way . I recommend there transparent colors for airbrush . You can use the semi qpaques but they won't spray as smooth as the transparents . We use the semi opaque a for solid fill in and like to recommend a touch up gun or spraygun for the bases . House of Kolor is king when it comes to the urathanes .
Here at coast airbrush we offer it in various sizes and in no mess bottles . We can sell it pre thinned but prefer to teach you how to use it by reducing on your own . Our online tv channel coast airbrush tv has videos on both brands that are very helpful . There is a product overview and mixing video for HOK . We have one comming soon for Auto Air .

Welcome David nice to have you and your company here.

Thank you Mr Micron ! And thank you for your support !

I started out using water based but I am actually going to go to coast airbrush this week and pick their brains about auto paints cause I need to paint a boat hull and some other auto applications in the future so need to start practicing with it

I started out using water based but I am actually going to go to coast airbrush this week and pick their brains about auto paints cause I need to paint a boat hull and some other auto applications in the future so need to start practicing with it

House of Kolor Rocks , And when they teach you how that stuff reduces for airbrushing it really is not much more cost to you than the water borne paint. Just make sure you buy a good filter mask .

Have to thank Dave for teaching me that on the cost part of it. and I love the way it sprays. But I only use it when I have a paying job. I do not mind eating the cost of water based paint due to I get a lot of practice out of them .

Ya I practiced a water based paint job and had issues with it pulling when I taped it but still good practice ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355854915.031106.jpg

Ya I have heard the HOK is the way to go I have to paint this ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355855571.485988.jpg

Feel free to ask for me . I would love to extend my appreciation !

Back