Interesting discovery, 4030

Ok, So my room is sitting at around 80* right now, and the 4030+4012 I just tried looks like cottage cheese. The 4030+4020 is pretty bad, but not cottage cheese. And I honestly thought I had a 100% hold on all this. I wonder if 4030 that has been sitting for months, but still runny has lost something in it's make-up that allows it to work with both the reducers. As of right now, it is completely useless to me if I'm using a reducer.

Let me add another monkey wrench in the pot. I just went out and put a few drops of candy in a New plastic cup then thinned it with 4020, then added a few drops of the 4030. Mixed it and guess what. No seeding. It’s official I’m going crazy. Mixed just 4020 and 4030...seeding. Lmao. Kill me now

Ok, So my room is sitting at around 80* right now, and the 4030+4012 I just tried looks like cottage cheese. The 4030+4020 is pretty bad, but not cottage cheese. And I honestly thought I had a 100% hold on all this. I wonder if 4030 that has been sitting for months, but still runny has lost something in it's make-up that allows it to work with both the reducers. As of right now, it is completely useless to me if I'm using a reducer.
I know how to solve this! Don’t use candy or 4030... lol. Odd thing is 4030 in my regular wicked colors is fine, not that it needs to be mixed together and now with my current find above. Time for booze

Finally found the vid.....my bad....it was about the sealers.....:D
And this has been very educational. Still.....I haven't seen anyone using just 4020. They were adding it to the mix to improve flow. The next time I mix some candy, I am going to mix up both ways and do some spray outs... I would like to see how it lays down
Cheers

Let me add another monkey wrench in the pot. I just went out and put a few drops of candy in a New plastic cup then thinned it with 4020, then added a few drops of the 4030. Mixed it and guess what. No seeding. It’s official I’m going crazy. Mixed just 4020 and 4030...seeding. Lmao. Kill me now
there may have been something in the other cup that caused the seeding.

Cleaned out the cup, tried candy, reducer, 4030. No seeding. Cleaned out the cup, 4030,4020 seeding.

Yeah, I'm running up against a wall here. And like I said, I had this down 100% when I used it last. This is gonna suck If I can't figure it out because I bought quite a bit of 4030.

The 4020, IMO, is the best reducer I have seen.

Yea, I fell in love with the 4020 last night when I mixed it with wicked and it sprayed like urethane.

Micron, I will mix it the way it works. And also order new batches of both and see what happens. Can’t thank you guys enough. Look forward to SiRoxx to read this...lol

Ok, try this. Don't do an equal hit of each. Put the 4030 in, and add only a single drop of 4020 and mix. Then add another drop when that has burnt in. Then add 2 more on top of that when/if it looks good. I had some success during my mad experimentation just now. We might be chemically frying the 4030.

Ok, try this. Don't do an equal hit of each. Put the 4030 in, and add only a single drop of 4020 and mix. Then add another drop when that has burnt in. Then add 2 more on top of that when/if it looks good. I had some success during my mad experimentation just now. We might be chemically frying the 4030.
Yet in the video I did tonight I just added 4030 in the cup first then about 1/2 as much 4020 without any seeding or ill wanted side effects.
Being I just mixed it and then came in here to post the video and left it sitting in the cup in the garage I just went out and checked it about sitting in that cup for almost 2 hours and no seeding .

Sorry about the delay, time zones meant I was sleeping LOL.
Ok, I have seen this before and experienced it too, but I haven’t found the answer. Long story short...
When I first started airbrushing I wanted to know about Candy’s and also was looking for that magic trick to make the paint flow well as we all do when we start!
At that time Fred was having an issue with 4030 clumping up exactly as you’ve shown (there’s a thread by Fred aka Airbrush Dreams somewhere). Anyhow, in that thread somebody suggested trying 4020 as it had a bit more strength and might melt the 4030 a little better.
I found the thread because I had bought some 4030 believing it to be the magic trick for excellent flow (obviously it isn’t lol, but they can’t sell experience in a bottle haha). I had the same clumping issue when using 4012, so I tried 4020 and it was a lot better. I also had a bottle of really thick 4030, which may have been an older one, I contacted Createx and they sent me a replacement bottle which has been fine since. In my opinion, they don’t have 4030 quite right and there are broken bottles of it out there.
This is not an argument against anybody else’s findings, just what I’ve seen from my own experience using it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a Createx video of mixing Candy 2o and 4030. This is he reason I went about mixing it the way I did, but from the advice of twood and Mr.Micron I added the Candy last and it definitely seemed to help with my problem. 4012 is used in the video but there’s no mention of 4020, good or bad, it just isn’t brought up.
I’m sure there’s another one about mixing the 4030 slurry, so I’ll try to find that too.

Ok, this is the video about the slurry. Interestingly in this video Craig talks a little about adding the reducer before the pigment as some will shock and cause problems. That’s exactly what Mr.Micron and twood said regarding the Candies.
He also says that 4012 is the reducer of choice, which is not what Mr.Micron and I have found, but does agree with others.
I know you’re talking about a straight 4030 issue rather than mixing that with anything else. But as I said, I’m stumped and hoping that others with a lot more knowledge and experience than me may novice something in the videos to help.

I’m starting to think it’s the 4030,I mean how many people buy 4030 at hobby lobby. I’ll give createx a buzz later in the week and see what they have to say. Mine is pretty thick. Until then the 4012 works for th candy and the bottle of 4030 I have. I don’t have any projects that need candy right now so I’m good.

Thanks SiRoxx for th video links and your insight. Helps a ton.

I will say I’m enjoying the 4020 with my wicked colors seems to spray smoother. From what I’ve read, 4020 makes it harder to erase etc. good thing I have both... lol

You folks are the best!

Joe

I’m starting to think it’s the 4030,I mean how many people buy 4030 at hobby lobby. I’ll give createx a buzz later in the week and see what they have to say. Mine is pretty thick. Until then the 4012 works for th candy and the bottle of 4030 I have. I don’t have any projects that need candy right now so I’m good.

Thanks SiRoxx for th video links and your insight. Helps a ton.

I will say I’m enjoying the 4020 with my wicked colors seems to spray smoother. From what I’ve read, 4020 makes it harder to erase etc. good thing I have both... lol

You folks are the best!

Joe
No problem Dude, that’s why we’re all here. My guess is that you’re probably right and the 4030 is the issue. But if you’ve found the 4012 works, cool, stick with that until this bottle is done.

Ok I have an update. You may think I've lost my mind. But, I literally was having zero success mixing 4020 and 4030.

So I got a crazy idea based on what I was seeing,.... you ready for it... I chilled the 4020. So as of right now, I've mixed two small batches and zero problems. I put the 4020 in the fridge, let it get cold, and mixed. No problems as of right now. It's possible it may all go to crap tomorrow.

I'm pretty sure that the 4020 is pretty HOT sauce, and if the acetone boils off too fast, it literally burns the latex and makes it coagulate, but doesn't explain the 4012 problems I'm having.

Back