For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

introducing netiquette

Discussion in 'Introductions!' started by flycatchr, Jan 29, 2014.

1. flycatchr

flycatchr Detail Decepticon!

after some thinking and talking about forums I was wondering if it would help at all to post a list of helpful netiquette pointers.
    I might of course be wasting my time, as those that do introduce themselves would probably already be observant of these ideas.
    after searching the web for a bit, I found the following from 25 Forum Posting Etiquette Tips - TopTenREVIEWS
    But as a true engineer, I would like to aadd the "zeroeth law"

0. Please introduce yourself, including the type of equipment you have and where you are from, not only is it polite, but it will assist all of the respondents to your queries, and in most cases will be quicker for you to get to the root of a problem. It may even be better to use your signature and personal info with those facts. Please remember that all the experts, pros and helpful people here are giving advice, information and encouragement out of their own time and passion, instead of actually doing their passion.

"
    1. Read the forums rules and guidelines before posting for the first time.

2. Search the other posts to see if your topic is already covered.

3. Use a meaningful title for your thread.

4. Do not use a forum to promote your product, service or business.

5. Be civil. Personal differences should be handled through email or IM and not through posts displayed to everyone.

6. Stay on topic.unless a good hijack can be made from not staying on topic...

7. Ignore spammers, respond to them personally and not through the board, or report them.
    8. Do not submit a post that requires readers to download a large attachment. Either explain the attachment or, better yet, provide a link to the information.

9. Use plain text over HTML if you want your post to be readable by everyone.

10. In order to be understood by most people, use correct spelling, grammar and avoid slang unless you know the word or phrase will be understood by other members.

11. Do not double post (post the same message twice in one thread) or cross post (place the same message across several forums).

12. Act in a give and take manner; help others as often as or more than you ask for help.

13. Do not use all caps or SHOUT in your posts. In addition, one exclamation point is enough.

14. When replying to a post, do not quote more from the previous post than you have to.

15. Do not post new problems on someone else's thread and interrupt a topic of discussion.

16. Do not use someone else’s thread for a private conversation.

17. Most forums prohibit warez, cracks or illegal downloading of software and similar topics.

18. Watch your sense of humor, posts may be read by people from a variety of backgrounds and ages.

19. Do not use a huge and annoying signature, a modest signature is fine, moderators may remove large ones anyway.

20. Do not post any information that you want private. Posts should not contain personal, identifiable information or content embarrassing to others.

21. Do not post content that violates a copyright.

22. Do not post ”empty” or useless responses, such as just ”lol” or ”cool.” Only post responses when you have something to contribute.

23. Write concisely and do not ramble.

24. Do not use words like ”urgent” or ”important” in your subject line, be patient.

25. Do not chastise newbies."

if anyone has anything else to add, or chat about, please do :)
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2014
    basepaint, john doe and Dave Edwards like this.
  2. jord001

jord001 Air-Valve Autobot!

Seems like a good idea to me..

lee
  3. Madbrush

Madbrush Guest

Whilst I understand the point here, it has been said many a time that this forum stands out from many others, changing this forum so that it becomes the same as all the others will cause me personally to do what I do with the rest, which is, ignore it, losing the fun factor will only cause me to lose interest.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2014
  4. Mr.Micron

Mr.Micron Royal pain in the air hose Admin

Malky not changing it but with the growing numbers it is hard to know who is who and where they are located.
    And truthfully how many time have you been asked a question on here that you have to drag the information out of them so you can try and help them .
    I understand we have a ton of lurkers who may never post a single comment but when they do it would be nice to know a little about them.

Oh and I made it a sticky so yeah..
  5. Madbrush

Madbrush Guest

LOL, I'm all for some strict request of details and such, as long as it,s FUN FUN FUN, and like yourself, I don't mind answering the same question more than once.
  6. Mr.Micron

I agree on the fun, But remember on PP3 some where waiting to get the name of the person so they could make it personnel like you did.
    If the person who was your paint paint had never made a post (like one person did) or never made an intro how would you have came up with a painting that meant something to the person?
    Say you painted the one you did just because the address was PA but the person had just moved there and did not understand the painting.
    See I knew you understand...LOL
    Any way I will no longer ask for a introduction . But I am going to push for a 5 post min to join paint pal...:D
    I may not even ask what airbrush they are using or what PSI . LMAO...

Not been a good day, Not been in a good mood , and ran out of Moonshine ,,, Done blew through 1000 rounds and still in bad mood so I think it is best I just take a break for the rest of the night .. or until I get in a better mood..
    I really do not want to take things out on anyone . (unless the have it coming) :D
    basepaint likes this.
  7. shadow2462

shadow2462 Elite Member! Elite Member!

Herb go through another 1,000 rounds and if by then you have not turned your day around then maybe you should look for new line of work......like umm mercenary? lmao
    basepaint likes this.
  8. Mr.Micron

Was a merc for a lot of years. Now those were some fun and interesting times..
    basepaint likes this.
  9. flycatchr

Herb, I feel your pain.
    Madbrush, I dont understand how asking peeps to give us more information makes us more like other forums (or am I missing the point there?)
    MY point is that here and in life I find that being polite and respectful has gotten me VERY far in many situations.
    I actually don't really mind someones first post being a polite request for help, BUT I don't understand a person coming on here, asking for a solution and not even saying please, nevermind what he has done to try fix it himself, or if he has even searched the forum/google for answers.
    there are a lot of us here able and willing to put in the time and energy to help others, but there is only so much we can do, and politeness and gratitude makes the giving much easier :)
    GothRik, basepaint and splasha like this.
  10. Madbrush

Madbrush Guest

No, an intro from new members is very important as you say in order to know how best to help them, I just meant all the other strict rules, a little harmless fun along the way makes the journey less daunting, especially for newbies.

Everything else you say is 100% on the ball, but a little harmless fun in between as long as its not malicious.
  11. flycatchr

well said mad :)
  12. jgny1

jgny1 Mac-Valve Maestro!

I like that there is Etiquette and agree with everything, BUT I think we have a big problem them...most of the members here must leave now!!!...

Number 6 "Stay on Topic" LOL does that ever happen?? Sorry had to say it.
  13. Mr.Micron

Nope just rewrote number six to fit my needs....LMAO

So it was 14 this morning it is a heat wave:D
  14. jgny1

jgny1 Mac-Valve Maestro!

Much better I was getting worried there would have to be a mass exit of users...yeah heat wave here too, I think about 14. May hit around 30 today..Gettin the shorts out.
  15. Mr.Micron

What ya mean just getting them out I have been wearing them all day :D Really nice seeing the female student workers wear short shorts and tube tops again:D
  16. jgny1

jgny1 Mac-Valve Maestro!

Not allowed shorts at work, have to wait till I get home.
  17. Mr.Micron

Dang ya should get a job over at NYU almost everything is allowed on a college campus:D
    Had one girl a few years ago that came into work with lace panties and try to tells us they were shorts , I was good with it but her boss was not..Just wish that was one of the days I brought my camera...It was a Kodiak moment:D:D
  18. jgny1

jgny1 Mac-Valve Maestro!

Seems like everything is allowed on college campuses... almost everything..
  19. Mr.Micron

Now you see why I love my job , Ya never know what you will see when you come into work...
  20. jgny1

jgny1 Mac-Valve Maestro!

Just need to keep your camera on hand..