Is the micron worth the money?

T

Troyster

Been airbrushing about a year now, and like most, I started of with a cheap chinese brush, a Veda 130 and 180, and I have to say, their really not that bad!. But eventually upgraded to a iwata hp-cs, which again is fine.
But now I,m thinking of getting a detail brush and as nice as a micron looks, can anyone really justify the price when you can get an infinity cr plus 2 in 1 with a finer needle/nossle set up for half the cost?, just curious to hear pro,s and con,s really cos that infinity sure is attractive!

In a word yes. ... its not a magic wand but it is a fantastic tool, paint exactly where and when you want it, we'll machined, reliable....There is a reason alot of the pros use them but that being said alot of people on here will vouch for the infinity aswell

Been airbrushing about a year now, and like most, I started of with a cheap chinese brush, a Veda 130 and 180, and I have to say, their really not that bad!. But eventually upgraded to a iwata hp-cs, which again is fine.
But now I,m thinking of getting a detail brush and as nice as a micron looks, can anyone really justify the price when you can get an infinity cr plus 2 in 1 with a finer needle/nossle set up for half the cost?, just curious to hear pro,s and con,s really cos that infinity sure is attractive!

Well pro's are its a great brush, well made has 0.18 nozzle, also comes with a 0.23 i think it is.
The only con i can say is that parts are expensive, im now having to find £50 for a new nozzle, again. Altho this is down to my own stupidity but parts are expensive. If you can find somewhere that stocks them call in and have a look. This is just my own opinion and you will get several different ones, it all boils down to personal choice [emoji4]

Yes it is IF you're serious about your paintings. I have 2 H&S guns with the 0.15 setup but I always go back to the Micron. There is more to it then just the detail it produce. Which by the way comes with a lot of practice. It's just so much easier to use.

The micron is certainly worth it's price, the problem with it though is that it's realy delicate and one probably will not notice the nuances in handling untill one has quite a bit of experience.

I've worked with both the infinity and CM-SB and there is no difference between the 0.15 and 0.18 nozzle both can paint hairlines. The big difference (for me) between the infinity and micron is that the trigger of the micron is more responsive due to how the trigger mechanism is set up. Also the micron still keeps a very nice spray patern at realy low airpresure (I could go low with the infinity but not as low as with the micron)

The infinity is an extremely good airbrush but for me the micron works just a notch better for the fine detail stuf which for me makes it worth the price difference

However the infinity does look like the brush iron man would use..... If that's a selling point then the infinity is the brush for you

If your experienced and want a great detail brush without the insane price tag, I'd suggest a Mojo III with the Size 0 nozzle set. It is capable of ultra fine detail and has an immediate trigger response. The more I use it, the more it's becoming my favorite airbrush.

If your experienced and want a great detail brush without the insane price tag, I'd suggest a Mojo III with the Size 0 nozzle set. It is capable of ultra fine detail and has an immediate trigger response. The more I use it, the more it's becoming my favorite airbrush.
I have to be honest, when I read your post I thought it was a joke, size 0 nozzle size etc, but after looking it up I have to say not only have I never before heard of the mojo brand before, but I will certainly read up further about them, very interesting, Thankyou!

I would go for the Infinity.... However only because I could put it in my photos of my paintings.. Would look damn sexy and detract the eye from my crappy artwork lol

I have to be honest, when I read your post I thought it was a joke, size 0 nozzle size etc, but after looking it up I have to say not only have I never before heard of the mojo brand before, but I will certainly read up further about them, very interesting, Thankyou!

I don't joke about airbrushes. Lol

For detail it is outstanding. The trigger response is immediate and the very easy to control. I may actually order 2 more of them because I have this strange problem with buying way more Sh!t than I actually need. They are definitely a great value.

Never used one but from all reports its a great gun but worth the money? i'd say no. Have seen a gazillion jobs done by a vast array of various airbrushes and you can't tell this one or that one is done by any brush. it all comes down to the user, not the brush in most cases. Not saying a micron isn't worth the purchase for some, if you can afford one-heck why not but they ain't the be all and end all of detail brushes. if your painting zippo lighters, maybe an advantages brush but few of us paint that small and realistically most people by eye can't tell the difference between a 0.1 line and a 0.2 line so personally don't see the point of them especially as you can get that 0.1 line through other guns also-For example a badger patriot or Anthem with a fine line conversion kit costs around the $150 mark I think thats about $500 cheaper than a micron and imo does just as good a job..Best of luck

It's not so much about the fine lines though, every one is hung up on how fine a line that a brush can get, why? Is rare you need to do such fine work just add rebel suggests. .... with the micron, for me is the quality machining , the glide of the parts, responsiveness and atomisation at high and low pressure

Have to agree Fez, the micron does the nicest blends of color because if it's spray characteristics. If I could afford it I would have many more.

It's not so much about the fine lines though, every one is hung up on how fine a line that a brush can get, why?

Haha, used the line example just to state exactly that, when its all said and done its sold and advertised as a detail gun is it not? My point is that if sold as the best detail gun and that extra 0.1 mm costs an extra $400-500 dollars thats a lot per tenth of a mm ;) LOL

I have no doubt they are a top notch gun, I also have no doubt in the right hands they will surely come near the top of the pack, have no doubt they atomize well but also have no doubt that without a good amount of experience, many would likely not see the benefits of that extra $500 odd dollars.

Maybe its that microns are discussed a lot or a lot more people are buying them but I also have no doubt that over the last few years on this forum and others I have seen many threads discussing Micron issues (Even straight of the shelf and if they are so well tested by Airbrusg Technicians-Love iwata's advertising ;) LOL- Then this simply shouldn't happen), for a hand assembled, highly machined whoopdido airbrush I think thats also not worth the extra cost. (Twice/Triple the cost of a comparative able gun should guarantee twice the performance and it simply does not) Spare parts for them are exorbitantly high, in many cases a new head assembly and needle costs the price of a good brand name entry airbrush-So another bad point.

And again, if it sprays so well/atomizes better etc you should be able to note that difference in the end result and when its all said and done you can't, people have been creating amazing works with various models over the last 100 years. the Micron simply has not re-invented airbrushing and for a gun thats so expensive it darn well should LOL.

But hey if someone wants to buy me one I'll give it a shot and perhaps become a convert LOL

There's also the SOTAR 20/20. Especially worth it if you get it off amazon: $100 compared to the usual $400-500. It was apparently built to be a competitor to the micron.

It was built to be......but it's not..... again a nice brush but not a patch on the micron. The star is nice and light though, you barely feel the weight so that's a big plus

Any brush that has 80% of the quality of the micron, and you can get new for one fifth of the price, is pretty bloody good value.

And again, if it sprays so well/atomizes better etc you should be able to note that difference in the end result and when its all said and done you can't, people have been creating amazing works with various models over the last 100 years. the Micron simply has not re-invented airbrushing and for a gun thats so expensive it darn well should LOL.

But hey if someone wants to buy me one I'll give it a shot and perhaps become a convert LOL

It does spray that well. Consistency is the key factor. I have and have had a lot of airbrush models to compare it to. The trigger response and consistent results are what make it stand apart. The only other one that stands toe to toe in my opinion is the Mojo III. There is a difference, so many people wouldn't swear by them if it was just hype.

I have a bunch of Iwatas and last Christmas I caved and bought a micron. It is like everyone says, a well oiled machine and quick to respond, almost too quick if your going from an eclipse to the micron lol! Very pleased with it and now Jeff has me thinking about a possible MOJO in the future haha!!

Back