Is this a good deal?

Phaze

Gravity Guru
came across this post on Kijiji and was wondering if it was decent or are they crappy brushes?

QUOTE:
Selling airbrushes and airbrush paints I don't use anymore. Value of about $1750, asking $500.00 OBO

Airbrushes:
(1) Iwata HP-A
(1) Paasche VSR 90
(1) Hansa Aero Pro 381
(5) Paasche VL kits
(2) Aztek Airbrush kits
(1) Badger 150
(3) sizes Freehand shields

All airbrushes are in excellent (like new) working order, and come with all bottles/ cups, several extra needles, several extra tips and hoses. Great for airbrushing anything from t-shirts, leather, board,cars to finger nails.

Paints (250+)are Createx, Liquitex, Golden and Rotring, are 3/4 or more full (4oz) and come with additives. Valued at $1750+($1200 in airbrushes alone), asking $500 OBO, will not part out, would like to sell complete. Will keep ad on till sells.

as a general guide I work on the formula of half the price of brand new for a 2nd hand airbrush. If its truly 'like new' then maybe add 10% to it
As for the paint, I'd only pay 1/3 of the replacement cost, you have no idea what additives have been added to them, weather they've been exposed to weather extremes and gone 'off' etc etc .

at a glance it looks to be a good deal, are you able to physically check the goods before commiting ?

Look up the cost of brand knew and add them up and see if it is accurate. I think the $1750 may be stretching things a bit. An HP-A is selling new for $204. And the Paasche is around $49. That is not that much and those are the most expensive parts. As for the paints you don't know how full each bottle is and how well the kept debris out like dried paint flakes. I might offer $375. but no more than $400.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
http://fredaw61.wixsite.com/the-artist

Paint wise I would consider paying about 25% of the original cost, it's open and older than fresh stuff.

It's only a bargain if you think all those brushes are going to be useful to you, and you feel you will use them regularly. If not you may end up using only a couple with the rest hanging around in a drawer. Check out the prices of the ones that appeal most, they may well cost less than 500, and will be new. If you can find out which spares are for which brushes, and how many there are, and what exactly they are might make a difference. You can work out what they are to buy and factor that in. If they are for cheaper brushes, or ones you may not use, then they aren't worth anything.

250 paints is a lot of paint. Bearing in mind it seems most are open already, and it could take years and years to use them , they may not be any good by the time you get around to them. So it depends how quickly you think you'll get through them and if you have a place to store them correctly for a long time.

There is always the option of keeping what you want and selling the other brushes and paint on too get some money back. But that would depend on the condition when it reached you. There have been quite a few 'excellent' condition second hand brushes bought by members here that needed a fair amount of tlc. So its a gamble.

yeah, I wasn't even considering the paint at all. I was wondering if the brushes are more niche brushes or will they get use from them. I am pretty sure I would use the Iwata HP but the rest, I don't know. It would be fun to try out different brushes but is it worth the $500? They all seem to be detail brushes, no?

If everything is in the condition as "advertised", I think it's a decent deal. The paint alone could add up to 500 dollars relatively easy if it's still usable. The brushes are decent as well with the exception of the two Aztecs. I purchased and tried one of those years ago and gave it away. Just my two cents...

yeah, I wasn't even considering the paint at all. I was wondering if the brushes are more niche brushes or will they get use from them. I am pretty sure I would use the Iwata HP but the rest, I don't know. It would be fun to try out different brushes but is it worth the $500? They all seem to be detail brushes, no?
The only true detail brush is the Iwata A, the Paasche VL, Badger 150 and the Aztec are not detail. They are usable but a bit harder to get fine detail. Great for t-shirts and larger paintings. Buying all would give you a lot to play around with and $500 OBO is not terrible. If you can afford it and feel trusting go for it. We all learn by experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
http://fredaw61.wixsite.com/the-artist

Back