For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Is your airbrush really clean?

Discussion in 'Open Bar!' started by jord001, Apr 27, 2017.

1. jord001

jord001 Air-Valve Autobot!

Hi Folks, I was asked by my mate to lay a light coat of paint over a coin so he could 3d scan it, It wouldnt scan as it was because it was nicely polished silver, anyway I took it up the garage, plugged my old "B cup" airbrush in and gave it a quick blow through with 2k thinners. I am using inspire solvents to spray the coin and filled up the cup on the airbrush, pressed and pulled back the trigger and hardly anything came out. Weird I thought, I then noticed that the trigger wasn't returning normally and so cleaned out the AB again and tried a second time. Same issue. After messing for a few minutes moving the needle in and out I gave up on it and fetched my trusty old Devilbiss super 63. It's got a 0.6 setup and sprayed the coin effortlessly, so I know it wasn't the paint. Tried moving the needle in the "B" and it had gone really tough to move and I could see something coming out from where the packing is so I thought that was the problem. Took in into the house and up to my AB area. Stripped it down and managed to pop the packing O ring out, nothing wrong with it at all and i think its a ptfe one, well it was like white nylon. The nozzle was clean so it's got to be in the airbrush body. I got the inter dental brushes out and an old needle and started working on the nozzle end of the airbrush body. I could not believe what came out of the airbrush after the packing nut and from the cup to the nozzle.

Here is what came out.
    20170427_193120.jpg
    I clean my Airbrushes every time I use them. Just shows how much can get jammed up in the pipes without you knowing. The 2k thinners must have melted the paint and made the needle stick through the packing nut area. It really is clean now.. If your new to airbrushing take note of this. When you think its clean, clean it again.. :)

Lee
    MeeshellMP, Squishy, JackEb and 2 others like this.
  2. Airbrush Dreams

Airbrush Dreams Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

This is I always tear down completely after every session. No mater if I only sprayed for 5 minutes with one color. Normally I pull the needle out and run a cleaning brush through the chuck nut all the way through the packing bearing with water in the cup and I repeatedly dip the brush in clean water. Same goes for the head and nozzle. That's when I have an issue with paint flow it is never due to dirty brush. Thanks for posting this. It is important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    http://fredaw61.wixsite.com/the-artist
    jord001 likes this.
  3. Vladimir

Vladimir Mac-Valve Maestro!

Mine are really clean:)
    I also do cleaning as Fred mentioned. Though, a lot of time I've read that it's better not to unscrew the nozzle etc for it causes problems so on...
    But I've broken the nozzles only when my ABs fell down and never spoiled the threads in the AB body or nozzle's thread when unscrewing parts for cleaning the AB.
    I don't say everyone must do this, it's one's choice what to do with their tools and how to do it:)
    My preference is to have clean tools and to be sure they're clean. I've had clogging issues only with waterbased paints but those were issues of the paint but not cleaning issues. Urethanes did not give me any clogging issue ever. Not true:) 0.18mm nozzle of Olympos micron gives sometimes that issue, but it's because of the small nozzle's hole. All other, even Iwata micron 0.18mm setup work well (Olympos nozzle hole is smaller than Iwata's). So clean airbrushes serve well.
    Here's what I do after the sessions.

P1011643.JPG P1011644.JPG P1011646.JPG P1011684.JPG P1011688.JPG
    jord001 likes this.
  4. JackEb

JackEb The Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

@Vladimir all those pictures make my eyes water..... brushes in small channels. . . ouch
    jord001 likes this.
  5. basepaint

basepaint Air-Valve Autobot!

I posted about the same thing a while back in the trouble shooting section under...If you think its clean or something to that effect.:thumbsup::thumbsup:
    jord001 likes this.
  6. JackEb

7. Vladimir

Never thought of making you crying @JackEb :D
    Recently found that Interprox has "nano" brushes of the smallest diameter, now I think to buy them. They're gonna be perfect for Iwata side feed cups paint passages. Though, those I have also work well.

Some visits to the drugstores and you'll have the same.

P1011635.JPG P1011638.JPG P1011639.JPG

And here's what all they are made with. It's simple, but the result is having clean tools every time. Certainly, for those who want to have clean tools;) BTW for funny price:)

P1011690.JPG
    jord001 and JackEb like this.
  8. JackEb

They're also know as "interdental brushes"
    I also use these for cleaning my brushes :)
    jord001 and Vladimir like this.
  9. Vladimir

Yes they are.
    So we're in IBC League (Interdental Brush Club):)
    jord001 and JackEb like this.
  10. JackEb

Im in the AAD and the IBC brotherhood............. cool :cool:
    Vladimir, jord001 and Squishy like this.
  11. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Mod Artist of the Month!

I rarely strip down my brush. I had my micron well over a year before I took it apart lol. I'm too lazy lol. But also I didn't have reason too, and if it ain't broke don't fix it. Less chance of damaging or wearing parts.

I don't tear down the eclipse either, with the drop in nozzle, its easy to just take out the nozzle and give it a soak should it need a bit of persuading for anything stubborn.

Apart from that, the needles get a wipe and that's it. See......proper lazy lol.

But it is amazing what can hide in those tiny spaces when something goes wrong, which is why I also say to newbies, when you think you cleaned it, clean it again, cos you might be surprised.
    Vladimir, JackEb and jord001 like this.
  12. Vladimir

OK. Never said that, but I must confess I'm with all of you addicted... that AAD... But I will not say how many brushes I have:D
    It's kinda craziness:) Though AAD is also mental disorder, one of the varieties of the shades of craziness:)

I could agree (maaaybe somewhere deep inside) about not taking apart the micron:) But Squishy you're kinda lazy not to take apart an Eclipse;) There's nothing there that could be damaged. It's strong like a hammer:)

BTW I put some not hardening sealer onto the nozzle thread and tighten it a real lightly, so it is never possible to make any bad to the nozzle. In the case of using the sealer almost no tightening strengths is required. I think that's why Iwata put some red sealer onto new nozzle threads, that red one new Iwata ABs come with out of the factory sealed box. It concerns only threaded models, not Eclipse series.

Another confess is here. Remembering your C micron Squishy, I must confess I think to buy that one in future alsolol I like that old design cups, they're comfortable for me, never thought I'd buy gravity airbrush again. And I think it's me typing this or AAD...:) Why the hell do I need another airbrush?:) I've got no time to paint with those I already have. But it's now. Times change.
    basepaint likes this.
  13. Squishy

Not kinda lazy.....very lazy lol lol lol. But seriously, I have no reason to strip I down. I had to when my packing seal gave up, and paint got in the back. But I cleaned it, replaced the seal and, boom, I don't believe in lubing anything, so no need to get in there. The front looks after itself. With the 4012 its pretty much self cleaning, a little back flush and done. Those brushes are bullet proof.

You got the AAD bad lol. But I cant blame you for wanting that micron. I am in love with mine. So comfy to hold, and effortless to use.
    Vladimir likes this.
  14. Vladimir

Then, you're magical!:) For me not having issues with WB paints sounds like voice from other galaxy, I've had bad experience. I mean with small nozzles. Eclipses can eat everything they're given, sort of. But not microns.

Yeah, AAD's temperature is rising:D But I swallow pills which called these days "Need for cutting plotter"lol My highest advise on them, as they're real helpful, those pills work great!

When I tried old C model I understood that gravity feeds maybe aren't that bad:) Old design of the cup is comfy for me.
  15. Squishy

It's true, I am magical! How did you know?? I guess my unicorn horn and sparkles give it away lol lol lol.

To be fair I only use the Wicked detail in the micron and I have the .23, but I always over reduce, and the 4012 stops anything sticking where it shouldn't. I know I am now tempting fate :laugh:, so maybe I should add, so far. Maybe it's because I've only ever used WB paint, so I had to get used to it from the start. I found a paint I liked and stuck to it. The eclipse can handle pretty much anything - except metallic. the .35 doesn't like that shiny stuff at all. Maybe that's where my sparkles came from :D

I wish I liked side cups sometimes. It would be nice to have any colour I needed in a different cup and be able to swap them out quickly, but I don't like the feel or balance of them. And I guess it really doesn't take long to flush and change a colour, but sometimes it would be nice - the lazyness strikes again lol.
  16. Vladimir

Yes, I've seen sparkles here coming off my monitor and couldn't figure out what was going on:D

Side feeds are comfortable with even 15ml side cup, though not for tight detail work where small cup is better. I've bought one 15 ml from Iwata recently and was surprised that it wasn't causing any balancing issues. Those small cups don't make any imbalance at all. I think side feeds make only visual imbalance:) At least for me. When AB is connected to usual braided hose and you pull the trigger no imbalance is felt, as the weight of the hose and finger pressure applied to the trigger make all the balancing work and there's no difference between top cup and side feed, but my finger is thankful for resting on side feed trigger AB where it has nothing on its way.

Now I've understood what forced me to buy tons of ABs, its lazynesslol Seriously, I think it's great to have all the colours in separate ABs as in this case no need for flushing etc.
  17. Squishy

I think it is partly psychological, it looks unbalanced, so it makes me feel unbalanced. Plus I'm fairly unbalanced anyway lol. I just don't feel as comfortable with them. Just as well, I cant afford to have AAD.
  18. Vladimir

It's completely psychological;) My story of buying side feeds starts when I purchased HP-B and I got HP-SB instead which had 50 bucks higher price. I consider it to be The Destiny's gift. I did not want that brush as I also thought from the pictures how is that possible to paint with side feed. Tried it and kinda liked it from the start, but... And I ordered two HP-B again, I'm stubborn:D And after I compared all of them, HP-Bs were sold as new. Some more side feeds were bought.

To be honest, I can't afford AAD either, I have it only because I shorten many expanses which I should make, though it's my choice. I've sold some things which brought me some cash for AAD, car for example.

It was five years ago.

beez.jpg
    jord001 and doc1 like this.