Issues with Blacks

B

Bingy99

For some reason I seem to have immense problems getting black createx paints to flow in my airbrush.

I use Wicked Details and Auto Air. I have several airbrushes, but usually use my H & S Infinity.

I just cant seem to get consistent flow for doing fine detail and its driving me mad.

Is it cleanliness of the brush?
Is it reduction of the paint ?
Is it the air pressure setting ?

Ahhhhhhh

Can anyone help who maybe has had similar issues.

Simon

The hard answer is ...all of the above lol. I also use the Wicked Detail line and I found at least for me using a bit og trans base with black and or white helps with the gritty spray that is typical.

Black and white are I gues the airbrushers "nightmare paints". I don't think there are a lot of brands of which I haven't tried the black and white but at the moment I use the createx illustration black and white which (for me) work very well.

If the black you use at the moment doesn't work to your satisfaction just try some different brands.

Do you find you have to reduce the paint and if so by how much ?

What air pressure do you spray with ?

those are both questions that can't realy be answered (by me atleast :p)as the amount of reduction and the pressure used should be changed according to what one is doing. For small detail stuff I like very low presure which in turn means I need to reduce a bit more.

I need a black that performs at high and low pressure and at lot's or little reduction and like I said I ended up using createx illustration, but paint tends to be a bit personal. You'll just have to try a few till you find one that suits your style of painting.

I normally avoid using black altogether for these very reasons but I've just recently started using Golden carbon black and it really is the easiest black I have used.

I can only assume that because it works so well for me that more refined high flow version would be even better to work with.

I've never used wicked or auto air so I couldn't say if it would better or but it would be worth trying some other paints if what you isn't doing it for you.

I also have a load of Schminke back which also spray great but nit the easiest for erasing or scratching.

For detail work with the Infinity .15mm, I use a base of roughly 10:1 to start. For me Wicked doesn't work well with small nozzles, Wicked Detail is better, but Illustration is best(Createx wise anyway). The illustration has less problems with tip dry because of the binder and better flow because of the pigment size. Once illustration sets(about 24 hours give or take), the binder is pretty much just as tough as Wicked, but within that 24 hour period has a much better erase ability. This slow cure is probably why the tip dry is better than Wicked, which cures much faster.

If you're having the issues you said, have you tried using an ink for detail work instead of a paint.
The pigments are generally finer, have good reducability [ water ] and usually give a reasonable coverage and control.
And you generally use a much lower psi with them anyway. I'll turn it down to about 8-10 most times, and work from there.
Might be worth having a try with.
I use Golden tranparent "Shading Grey" Hi flow acrylic for most of my stuff, but have used Daler & Rowney FW inks with much success.
I think everyone struggles with the issues you mention, both in blacks and whites, and we try all sorts until we find what works for us individually.
Part of the process, I guess.

I find I just don't like the wicked detail no matter what I do to it. I always seem to have issues with it. I usually use either basic wicked or autoair for larger stuff and the illustration for everything else.

I find black the most awkward to use. I use Wicked detail and opaque, and find that filtering helps, and always add a couple of drops more reducer than any of the other colours, and depending on conditions, lower the pressure slightly as I find it the worst for tip dry and this helps.

Try trident or etac instead. I gave up completely on createx brand

Last edited by a moderator:
I've noticed most people suggest filtering, or straining the paint. I've been practicing with the wicked detail black and think this may help me too. What do people use to filter it with? I use paint straining paper funnels at work, but was wondering if these would be too coarse since they let large metallic flakes through. I think there about 125 micron filters. Just wondering how others do it.

I've noticed most people suggest filtering, or straining the paint. I've been practicing with the wicked detail black and think this may help me too. What do people use to filter it with? I use paint straining paper funnels at work, but was wondering if these would be too coarse since they let large metallic flakes through. I think there about 125 micron filters. Just wondering how others do it.

You can use old stocking/tights, cut little squares and put them over the neck of your paint bottles and screw the top back on and it will filter each drop as you work, just be sure to take your tights off first, lol

Thank you very much @Madbrush. I knew there was probably an easy secret to it.

LOL, I used to strain a whole bottle through a full stocking and I saw it mentioned somewhere else and thought what an idiot I was, it's so simple it just can't be legal, lol

Often, rather than using trans or opaque black, I'll use "Shading Grey" and do more layers until I'm satisfied with the work, then use either black as the final coat - just to finish it.
Seems to be a reasonable compromise, well for me anyway.

Back