Iwata hp-b+ or hp-bh good choice?

H

howard ralph

Hey guys, first post, i need some help deciding on which airbrush to get. I have been researching and reading forums for a while and have narrowed it down to these 2 but thought i'd join to get some solid advice before i actually purchase. It will be my first airbrush and plan to do fine detail work on canvas and paper. I realise that these choices may be overkill for a beginner, but i'm a big believer in buying right the first time and as i progress not having to buy new ones (can always sell in worst case scenario), so am looking to get a good one. So, i just wanted to check is this a good choice? leaning towards getting the cheaper hp-b+ with an air valve on the hose or are the high lines with fitted mac valve better quality? both come with 0.2mm nozzle, is this the best size for detailed work?

Thank you very much in advance on any help and advice you can give me and i'm open to other suggestions or recommendations :)

I have had the BH and to be honest I didn't like the built in MAC (micro air control) because I frequently accidentally nudged it open causing sudden unwanted blasts, I expect the B+ to be cheaper and based on my own bad experience I would personally go for the plus without the valve and use an in-line MAC under the bush instead, that way it's put of the way, especially when you attach pistol grip moisture filter which I also advise.

Although having said all that, If you have never airbrushed before I would personally recommend the Iwata Eclipse, they make a side feed which I have, they make a b version with the same size cup as those you mentioned, and they also make a C version with a larger cup, this brush has a 0.35 nozzle set up, because the nozzle is a drop in type it is very easy to clean and maintain, and this brush will fulfill all your needs form filling large areas quickly to achieving finer detail, it is the most commonly recommended brush for starters and not without good reason reason, even if you decide you would like higher range detail brush later, the eclipse will still be an essential part of your arsenal.

I have a feeling someone will press you for an introduction, I won't, but if you edit your profile with your approximate location such as USA or any other country and then supply details of what now have if anything in your signature, all help you receive will be tailored to your own personal needs, the more we know the more specific any help will be, we will even be able to advise you of special deals in your area.

Do you already have an art background? starting our with airbrushing can be difficult and carries with it some frustration, whatever brush you decide to buy, be sure to look up the schematic and parts lists for your specific model, these can be found on Google images or sometimes can be downloaded from reputable dealers, if you can't find, we will find it for you if you ask:)

the hp B+ is a real good airbrush and in combination with a inline macvalve a perfect detail airbrush , the 0.2 nozzle/needle how ever can be a pain for any beginner

Hi Howard, what these guys said. Iwata is a good reliable brand. One of the things we value here is getting to know people as they become involved in our community. Can you please go and do an introduction for us. Where do you live, what kind of experience, etc. Even if you are a complete newbie. This helps us answer questions and understand what you are asking better. Here is the link. http://www.airbrushforum.org/introductions/

Also check out the nettiquette while you are there... explains a bit about us and how the forum works. http://www.airbrushforum.org/threads/introducing-netiquette.8799/

If you're going to be using createx paint then don't buy either. Buy the Eclipse B+ and an in line Mac valve as stated by Malky.
I had the exact theory you have. (Although I did buy a Chinese brush to get an idea if airbrushing was something I'd enjoy- was hooked after the first play)
I feel The combination of the hp and createx actually held me back and I'm a patient person but I feel that those less patient would be throwing in the towel if they'd had the same experience.
If you look around the 'beginners' section you'll quickly realize the Eclipse is highly rated as a starter brush, and it's often the workhorse that the pro's will often turn to.

The choice of paint should also be considered when buying a brush. Com-art and Etac EFX are very easy to use when starting out. Easy to reduce if needed, easy clean up (water in both cases)

The HP and Hi-line series are basically the same. Just the valves that are the difference. You say you want detail on canvas and paper, but you don't say how big these canvasses and papers are. If the canvas is big enough you can use a small spraygun. For a beginner I will never recommend any but the the Eclipse range. Not even the Revolution or Neo. The reason are the nozzles. The Eclipse has a drop in nozzle that is very easy to clean where all the others have screw in nozzles that can easily be damages by beginners.

Hey, thank you all so much for the replies, they have been very helpful. I really appreciate the advice and concerns. I did research alot of brushes and the eclipse and the c versions were on the list, so good to know they are recommended, i will definitely do a little bit more research. I maybe should have said that because of leaning towards the smaller nozzle that i was looking at the thinner paints mentioned (comart , etac efx/marrisa fx) but will probably go the comart to start as cheaper. I beleive these are the easiest to clean too? No plans to use createx. I did think about getting the 0.3mm nozzle too.

I did wonder though about cup size as alot of people seem to have the larger c versions. Do I need that large a cup? I didn't think i would, hence going for the B versions, I would say most work will be anywhere from A3 size upwards but around A3, A2 I guess.

Thank you all again for helping with this, its very much appreciated :)

airbrushes are real paint misers... I have the std 9 mil cup on my eclipse, rarely use a full cup. The eclipse comes with a standard 0.38mm nozzle. Versatile enough for most work... practice will get some pretty fine detail.

Hey, thank you all so much for the replies, they have been very helpful. I really appreciate the advice and concerns. I did research alot of brushes and the eclipse and the c versions were on the list, so good to know they are recommended, i will definitely do a little bit more research. I maybe should have said that because of leaning towards the smaller nozzle that i was looking at the thinner paints mentioned (comart , etac efx/marrisa fx) but will probably go the comart to start as cheaper. I beleive these are the easiest to clean too? No plans to use createx. I did think about getting the 0.3mm nozzle too.

I did wonder though about cup size as alot of people seem to have the larger c versions. Do I need that large a cup? I didn't think i would, hence going for the B versions, I would say most work will be anywhere from A3 size upwards but around A3, A2 I guess.

Thank you all again for helping with this, its very much appreciated :)

the B cup is fine since it restricts your vies less if you happen to look over the brush when you work, however I chose the side feed version of the eclipse because in addition to the small side cup that comes with it, they also make different sized lager cups for it, so I would further recommend the eclipse in light of the sizes you mention, with lager sized paintings as well as having more detail you also have more background you may wan to blast in a jiffy, so being able to use a larger cup would be huge benefit, and with the side feed you can even attach bottle, the brush is extremely versatile and can be used as a suction feed, side feed or gravity feed, my plan was to buy the cheaper Aztec side cups which fit without modificatio so that I could make quick colour changes instead of constantly cleaning.

Com-art and E'tac are very good paints but I found them to be a little sticky so I switched Golden High Flow acrylics instead:)

From my experience I can say that it's better to buy HP-SB+ as it's real good brush. I've had two HP-Bs and I've sold them new, only tried them and realized SB+ is a way better. Though it literally the same brush except one thing that makes SB much better, it's the system of an airbrush. B+ is gravity and SB is siphon. And it's a huge difference at the performance.
Also Eclipse side feed is great choice.
For the purposes you've stated, I'd buy HP-SB+. But it's better to have both Eclipse and High Performance side feed brushes:)

Hey guys, hope youre all good! Finally made my order and decided to go for the sb+. thanks for all your help and suggestions!! :) just waiting on the paint now!

Back