Iwata hp-c plus -facts and opinions please

S

Susi

i just got Eclipse and absolutely love it. As it happens, I stopped by at local Blicks to pick up some masking tape for non-AB project since they keep sending 40% off coupons..
And saw HP-C plus, which with the discounts would be $158 + change.
I'm still learning, but the price and 0.3mm
needle idea for detail work are very very tempting..any thoughts? Would it be better to wait, or is the quality of HP-C plus for detail work to stick with, be a smart buy right now?

I hate to say it, but a lot will depend on your ability to use the brush. I have a good many brushes, up to Microns, and hands down my favorite to use is an HP-B+. I know it is a smaller tip than the C+, but I am talking about the trigger, location, and feel in hand, balance, and the no fuss manor in which it does what it is supposed to do. Now, whether you can take advantage of these things is really up to you :). I think the HP Plus line are great guns for the price.

Now, the other tid bit - I can't go into a Blick in person, as there are none close by - but, online the discounts they offer are only good on certain things, and I have noticed the Iwata airbrushes are always exempt from that discount. Not sure this will be the same in-store, but might want to ask before making it to checkout.

I agree with @DaveG. having the right tool is only part of the equation. He can get results out of a knock off brush that I struggle to do with a micron

I agree with @DaveG. having the right tool is only part of the equation. He can get results out of a knock off brush that I struggle to do with a micron

Hehehe, Jack, I just checked and think it would run about $14.00us to send one of these $21.oo brushes to the land of Oz. You say the word, and I will fix ya up :) ( I just got another one today lol).

Last edited:
I owned an HP-C for years and thinks it's a great airbrush. I don't think you would be disappointed at all especially coming from an Eclipse. The longer taper on the needle gives it excellent Controll and being a .3 needle you can run heavier to thin paints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hehehe, Jack, I just checked and think it would run about $14.00us to send one of these $21.oo brushes to the land of Oz. You say the word, and I will fix ya up :) ( I just got another one today lol).

I had a couple of knock offs early in my journey, due to non use they seized up after 12months (forced absence from airbrushing) They taught me heaps but I'm happy to stick with the Iwata. Thank you for your generous offer, but I will decline. :D

Thats pretty much the only brush i use. Its a great all around brush in my opinion. I can use it for filling in a background, blocking in colors and all the way down fine details. Ive use mine so much i can pretty much pull hairlines with it no problem. Its just a matter of finding the right reductions and psi and also just flat out using it to get to know how it acts. Which having great trigger control will help get the full range of use with this brush. So i recommend it as a "utility" brush. Thats also actually not a bad price for it either.

Asking a bunch of guys with AAD whether or not to buy another airbrush???

I bought & sold several used brushes and did a little better than break even. You could use it for a year & get most of your money back for that price if you decided to sell it. I got to try different makes & models & compare. I think all of the Iwatas are great. I really like the Eclipse hp-cs personally. I like how it sprays, it's comfortable in my hand & easy to clean.

But you have to try for yourself. How much airbrush cleaner do you have and what's the return policy like at Blicks? Just kidding.

I had it among my first Iwatas and liked more that HP-B as it's more forgiving for proper paint reduction. You can get good details with it and broader coverage. It would be good addition to your Eclipse. If you liked the Eclipse I'd say you'd like it also.

You'll like it! Buy it!:D It's an AAD voice from over the ocean;)
Seriously, it's a good brush.

The only thing that puts me off is the screw in nozzle. If I use my HP-B, it is only with Etac that completely dissolves with water. Otherwise I think that is an awesome price and get it just because of that.

Good brush! You can get quite a bit of detail with it with practice! I doubt you'd be disappointed.

Thank you so so so much for quick responses!! Since I have to go there anyway to return coupling, it's a great excuse to buy it on my way out lol It was the only one they have, so I can use that as an excuse as well to buy it if it's still there.
Their return policy is that you can return if package isn't opened (first one I've heard of those) so..will have to open carefully lol

I have Eclipse hp-bcs and I miss the gravity feed as well to be honest..regardless that I've been able to get fine dagger strokes out of Eclipse with 0.5 needle finally.
What would I do without you guys, thank you so much -again!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ewwww..the price had gone up from yesterday to $209 (different manager on shift..what a heck..). Anyway, I found the same brush on EBay a tad lower price..still contemplating, I'm used to buy most stuff online though anyway o_O

Ewwww..the price had gone up from yesterday to $209 (different manager on shift..what a heck..). Anyway, I found the same brush on EBay a tad lower price..still contemplating, I'm used to buy most stuff online though anyway o_O

iwata price increase :(

The only thing that puts me off is the screw in nozzle. If I use my HP-B, it is only with Etac that completely dissolves with water. Otherwise I think that is an awesome price and get it just because of that.
Andre or anyone who wishes to answer could i ask you about the hp-B? Im working away for 6 months in about 6 weeks and will have some disposable income! I use an eclipse hp-cs at the moment but want to treat myself when im away.
I was looking at the iwata range and the custom series is a bit too expensive. I believe the hp-B is from the hi-line range. This is the one i have my eye on with a .2 nozzle and mac valve. My question is can you tell me what the difference is between this and the customs as the seem to be identical. Is it purely machine quality and tolerance based?
I know the brush is only as good as the person behind it but would like another airbrush.
Also would wicked and illiustration paints be okay with this brush?
Cheers in advance if you find the time to answer.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back