Iwata hp-c plus -facts and opinions please

Andre or anyone who wishes to answer could i ask you about the hp-B? Im working away for 6 months in about 6 weeks and will have some disposable income! I use an eclipse hp-cs at the moment but want to treat myself when im away.
I was looking at the iwata range and the custom series is a bit too expensive. I believe the hp-B is from the hi-line range. This is the one i have my eye on with a .2 nozzle and mac valve. My question is can you tell me what the difference is between this and the customs as the seem to be identical. Is it purely machine quality and tolerance based?
I know the brush is only as good as the person behind it but would like another airbrush.
Also would wicked and illiustration paints be okay with this brush?
Cheers in advance if you find the time to answer.:thumbsup:

I would need some more clarity on what you are calling the custom series, but if it is the Micorn's, they use a different head assembly , which allows for a different air flow pattern VS. the HP + or Hi line series brushes. There are some other manufacturing differences, but don't really need to go into much detail as we really are not going to be talking about them if budget does not allow.

If you are talking about the Kustom series, they are basically just different finishes, with no advantage to performance...

So, with all that out of the way - I use a good quality MAC valve on my QC fitting on my hose, so do not really look at the ones built into the brush. But, I can tell you that over the years, the one brush that gets more use than any other in my collection is the HP-B+. Same brush basically, without the on-board MAC valve. I absolutely LOVE this brush. I prefer the trigger placement, height, and size over that of the Micron, especially the new V2 Micron. I did soften the air valve spring, and backed the spring retainer out to soften pull back, so the action of the trigger is really nice. I also really enjoy the way the brush balances and feels in hand. Unless I am working on a very small piece, I can generally get the detail I want out of the .2 nozzle set up - without having to break out one of the Micron's. Personally, I highly recommend the brush, and if the mac valve will be useful to you, then by all means, the Hi Line is a good choice.

Thanks Dave g youre right i meant the microns. Ive only ever used an eclipse and the iwatas seem to be well made. The hi line seems like the logical step as i wouldnt be able to use the potential of a micron, which seem to be the accomplished artists choice. Im still a relative newbie.
Thanks again.

Like Dave said, the HP-B is a HP-BL without the built-in mac valve. I would not pay to have that in my gun. I also use quick couplings with them built in. You can get really good detail from those guns. But if your not gonna paint pictures A4 or smaller, then stay with the Eclipse.

Thanks Dave g youre right i meant the microns. Ive only ever used an eclipse and the iwatas seem to be well made. The hi line seems like the logical step as i wouldnt be able to use the potential of a micron, which seem to be the accomplished artists choice. Im still a relative newbie.
Thanks again.

It is indeed a step in a different direction to go to an HP- (anything in the plus or up line) from an Eclipse series gun. The Eclipse is much less finicky in regard to paint prep, and will move some serious quantity when you want it to. For the .2 nozzle series guns, thinner needles, and smaller air passages of the HP-B type Iwata, your paint reduction will be a little more important, but the detail you will be able to accomplish is worth it. Lower working pressure will also lead to less over spray, again, enhancing detail...

Like Dave said, the HP-B is a HP-BL without the built-in mac valve. I would not pay to have that in my gun. I also use quick couplings with them built in. You can get really good detail from those guns. But if your not gonna paint pictures A4 or smaller, then stay with the Eclipse.
Cheers andre
Most of my work has been a4 sized on a3 material, after masking a border.
Its mainly a4 because of printer restrictions.
I suppose ive got to decide whether to buy with or without a mac valve.
Love my eclipse but i do like new shiny things ha ha

Cheers andre
Most of my work has been a4 sized on a3 material, after masking a border.
Its mainly a4 because of printer restrictions.
I suppose ive got to decide whether to buy with or without a mac valve.
Love my eclipse but i do like new shiny things ha ha

So shiny...

Makes sense andre, ive just checked a uk dealer site and theres a £59 difference between the hp b+ and the hp bh. I take it its the same brush but with a mac valve.

I'm with Andre on this, get an 'external' mac valve, then it doesn't matter which brush you are using you have the precise control at your fingertips.
I've had a couple of Iwata mac valves but didn't like them. Bought a Grex mac/quick connect coupling and it hasn't left my airhose in over 3 years.

I'm with Andre on this, get an 'external' mac valve, then it doesn't matter which brush you are using you have the precise control at your fingertips.
I've had a couple of Iwata mac valves but didn't like them. Bought a Grex mac/quick connect coupling and it hasn't left my airhose in over 3 years.

Grex is the MAC valve QC I use also. I like the fact that it takes several turns to go from full on, to closed, so that if I do bump it by accident - it is a small adjustment, rather than an Oh F$%* moment ;).

£29 on amazon.
I have a silver bullet that i connect to my airbrush. Would i connect the quick connector to the silver bullet and the valve end to the air hose?
I imagine that would be quite heavy and cumbersome on the bottom of the brush. Or am i wrong?:lipssealed:

£29 on amazon.
I have a silver bullet that i connect to my airbrush. Would i connect the quick connector to the silver bullet and the valve end to the air hose?
I imagine that would be quite heavy and cumbersome on the bottom of the brush. Or am i wrong?:lipssealed:
agree again with Andre. that's the way I'm set up too. its not as heavy as you would think, I find it more comfortable to hold that combination than just a hose.

Aaaahh avoiding any moisture in the valve. I get that.
One of my teachers used to say youre not thick Harris you just need a nudge in the right direction ha ha
Thank you.

Aaaahh avoiding any moisture in the valve. I get that.
One of my teachers used to say youre not thick Harris you just need a nudge in the right direction ha ha
Thank you.

not in my case, I find it more comfortable than hose/MacValve/Moisture trap......... the trap is to bulky that close to the brush for me. plus if you get a quick connect mac valve it would be 'quick connecting' to the water trap, which means the trap is attached direct to the brush, unless you run another quick connect on the water trap.......... oh that all just sounds to confusing.

Get a mac valve with the quick connect built in, then run hose/trap/MacValve

Wow the grex valve i saw was on american amazon for $29. But says cannot ship internationally.
On amazon uk they are charging £63.75 + £3.75 deliveryo_O
There were two other alternatives an iwata fixed valve for £23 ish and a gothobby quick connect valve for £31 ish.
I,ll check machine mart im sure they will be cheaper.

Attachments

• 31pFN2BF3CL._AC_US261_QL65_.jpg
    31pFN2BF3CL._AC_US261_QL65_.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 31ZMmZ3dMlL._AC_US261_QL65_.jpg
    31ZMmZ3dMlL._AC_US261_QL65_.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 41S4-8IOqfL._AC_US261_QL65_.jpg
    41S4-8IOqfL._AC_US261_QL65_.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 20
Back