Iwata Issues

Rick Martin

Detail Decepticon!
I have a iwata hp sb that im having big issues with. The problem is when i pull back for paint its like im pulling full trigger when im just starting to pull back. It has a new nozzle, needle, and aircap. I dont know what else to do for it.

I have a iwata hp sb that im having big issues with. The problem is when i pull back for paint its like im pulling full trigger when im just starting to pull back. It has a new nozzle, needle, and aircap. I dont know what else to do for it.
This may be a silly question but are you sure you were sent the right parts?I have not ran into this on Iwata parts but I have had an H&S miss packaged on the needle.

How far is the needle sticking out from the aircap?

Okay Rick, i've moved the thread to troubleshooting.

so you are getting a lot of paint when you pull back just a little ? if so then i'd suggest
a) your pressure it way to high
b) the needle isnt seated properly, which would give similar symptoms, but you would see paint on the paper without pulling back on trigger as well

Mr.Micron beat me to it as far as wrong bits being received/installed
I've ordered HPB-Plus parts and received HPB parts.They were barcoded the same but the description was different, luckily noticed when i installed the needle and realised something was wrong.

Needle sticks out of the aircap 1mm. All parts came packaged in iwata packaging. As far as air pressure this does this at any pressure. At 15 psi its not so bad but still bad enough to notice that your not supposed to get that much paint with a minor pull of the trigger.

what paint is this with? And what air pressure would you guesstimate?

I'm not real concerned with miss matched parts... this is most likely simply and air pressure, paint mix miss match. The SB (all of the HP's in .2) are great at atomizing, but can be a little finicky on the range of paint consistencies they will stay happy with.

I have one coming in this week :).

Actually this time its about the same with wicked detail as with com art. Ive tried to trouble shoot this with psi ranging from 15 to 25 psi.

com-art - try 2 drops water 4 or 5 drops paint (mix right in the cup) - start at 15 psi, and work your way up.

Also, make sure the off side plug is IN as far as it goes, to seal that side, and that you color cup is plugged in well.

The only other time I have had an issue like this was the air cap was not sealed all the way , I the first time it would blow the paint out of the cup. Tightened hand tight and then it would spray lots of paint with little trigger movement, I put a little bees wax on the threads and retightened it and that fixed the issue.

it could be worth swapping the side the cup is on @DaveG ? if i remember correctly someone else had issues on one side of a side feed. Maybe Michelle could be Cal ?

The only other time I have had an issue like this was the air cap was not sealed all the way , I the first time it would blow the paint out of the cup. Tightened hand tight and then it would spray lots of paint with little trigger movement, I put a little bees wax on the threads and retightened it and that fixed the issue.
Mine has teflon tape on the aircap

why teflon tape Rick ? was it something Dave did or did you do it 'just in case' ?

normally the aircaps will seal (if clean) without additional measures needed or at the most a minor wipe of beeswax / chapstick.
The tape could be putting the cap to far forward creating issues (i think thats right, Dave will correct me if i'm misinformed)

the easiest way to check for air leaks is to 1) make sure there is no paint in the cup - maybe water would be cool. 2) apply cleaning solution, or mildly soapy water around the off side plug, the stem of the color cup, and around the head. Apply air by depressing the trigger, and then block the font of the nozzle cap with your finger. If you get bubbles showing up anywhere, you have an air leak... An air leak can cause irregular spray characteristics....

While we are at it, you may also try using the brush with the color cup off. Place the cup on the brush, initiate paint flow, and then remove the cup, and try painting with the paint that is still inside the brush. Just looking to eliminate the possibility the cup is tough to draw paint from...

Good point by @JackEb about the teflon tape not allowing the cap to seat all the way.

And i forgot to mention this is at at distance of 3 inches or so. I would be a nightmare if i had to go in close for detail work.

something not quite right there, as the .2 Iwata is my most used set up, in one form or another... I do just about everything with it,

Back