For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Iwata Medea NEO TRN 1 for vehicle touch up?

Discussion in 'General Airbrush Discussion' started by Damian Garott, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Damian Garott

Damian Garott Young Tutorling

Thanks for the info. I see that the tank has done it's job so far which means it's a good purchase.
    Robbyrockett2 likes this.
  2. Damian Garott

Thanks again for your reply Robbyrocket2. I looked up the California Air compressor but they are pretty heavy but aside from that you'd say that this is a better quality than what we were talking about before?

Ok man, so...I really like the siphon AB because it doesn't have a cup blocking the view so unless you suggest something different then this would be my final choice.

One more thing, I saw this Harbor Freight AB that run for $15 or so, what the idea behind those? They are ridiculously cheap so i'm assuming it's not something anyone would try on a serious project.
  3. Robbyrockett2

Robbyrockett2 Air-Valve Autobot!

I would go off what @HellBird said, he has the same one and an anthem 155 and says it works good then it'll work good for an hp-bcs. I haven't used one like that, I have the tankless HF one (needs a lot of breaks, so only good for doing tons of detail and stopping to change color or think a lot), A 1gallon senco pc 1010, a 4 gallon devilbiss, and bigger from there. I use the senco almost exclusively for AB now.

Short answer...the HF deluxe brush is garbage.
    Long answer;
    Ive used the HF deluxe's on some serious projects, but i used them as disposables as they are trash very quickly and I didnt expect much from them. Basically when I had a team of six people making multiples of the same little object and it needed a 1/16" shaded line or something and didnt want to hand them $100+ AB's to abuse to spray 5 lines with.....they would get through the five lines....usually LOL. Even then a couple people brought their own because they hated using them. They're on the same level as 99 cent packs of paintbrushes.....yes they'll work and its possible to do a painting with one but.............
    I even used one for the black and white painting in my album and it was toast by the end of that painting and it was grainy.

The single action with the quick change bottles they have I use a lot....also as disposable since the bottles cost as much as a new brush and solvents fog the bottles.... I use those mostly where i would use spray cans but dont need 110z. of paint per color or need a good bit more control or to psuedo AB with watered down latex or so I can buy quarts or gallons instead of 100 spray cans. Those are actually handy.
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  4. Robbyrockett2

5. Damian Garott

I'll be in the look out for HS 2k clear then.

I like the fact that the TC-407 weights half as much as the AW one but I see that the AW has a higher PSI. What would be an advantage in higher psi, would it be necessary in my case?

I'm very close to sealing my final decision and purchasing the products. So thank you much.
  6. Robbyrockett2

About double the volume of air when running so shorter run times.
    higher pressure would mostly would change the cycle times even more....run longer but spray longer between runs.
    You don't need more than 50psi you'll probably run 30-35
    I don't think between the two the choice would be very critical for your application. If you were fast at T-shirts or murals ...the AW difference would start to be more significant

I personally wouldn't do HS clear for that type of touch up work.....Its much more difficult to blend. Not to say you cant..Just will require more sanding and buffing at the end most likely.
  7. Damian Garott

Just ordered the eclipse . I'll be receiving it soon. Yes!
    HellBird and Robbyrockett2 like this.
  8. Malky

Malky Pencil Pushing Protagonist Very Likeable!

It's compulsory to post photos of it when it comes, that's the rules mate sorry, don't ask what happens if you don't, it's better you just don't know:):):)
    HellBird likes this.
  9. Damian Garott

Here's my brush. I'm ordering the other accessories and supplies separately like paint, bottles, etc...don't ask why because I don't know. :confused:

Iwata.jpg
    doc1, Robbyrockett2 and Malky like this.
  10. JackEb

JackEb The Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

Ooooo...... look, 'My precious' has arrived :)
  11. Malky

Well you're ordering bottles for quick colour changes and you're ordering paints separately because you get to choose the paints yourself rather than be stuck with what's in a kit, so now you do know:thumbsup::)

Very nice sparkling new brush, I hope she'll give many many years of joy, which she will as long as you keep picking our brains, read up on maintenance and get familiar with the parts that are most often replaced then as you go you can stock up on spares so you're never cought short, plenty of info here on cleaning and such but we're here if you want to ask:thumbsup:

P.S. How long did you sit and stare into that box at your gleaming new tool before posting your photo?, if it's less than 30 minutes you have good strength of character and are not easily distracted;)
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2018 at 6:36 AM
    HellBird and Robbyrockett2 like this.
  12. Robbyrockett2

Guessing you haven't got to use it yet...but dont it look pretty! They really do have a remarkably nice finish on them.
    BTW hottie lobby (hobby lobby) carries basically all the parts for that brush, and you can always take advantage of their 40% off coupon....at least until they add iwata to the ever growing exceptions list.
  13. Jurien72

Jurien72 Have Airbrush - Will Travel!

Oh I so miss the thrill of getting a new airbrush! :( Congrats on your new toy!

I can't say I remember staring into the box for long periods of time... I guess it depends on whether I can paint right away or not. My Paasches got lots of stare sessions due to being out in the truck. To me an airbrush isn't "born" until it's got air and paint in it!
  14. Malky

Every time I get a new brush there is short period of time when I just drool and stare at it and think "do I really want to filthy this up with paint" it can take me a while to get over that part, I won't always stare into the box, I might take it out and stare at it, either way, you've got to stare at it, it's part of the ritual.

The ritual is, order/buy it, wet yourself with excitement just because cause you know it's coming, when it arrives look all around the box and read every piece of text as well inspecting that little printing colour test card thingy that usually appears on a printed box, open the box, stare at it (box optional so in or out is fine), take a photo and post it on the forum (miss this stage at your own risk), stare at it again and make sure it's the same one you posted (multiple orders only), check the brush over and make sure it's clean and not caked with solid factory oils, if you didn't or don't do this stage that means you're me and therefore, a huge left breast:confused:, once you have successfully completed this ritual, then you can put paint in it, but do this slowly because as soon as the paint hits the inside of that cup/bottle/side beaker it is no longer a gleaming new brush, you may well feel the excitement start to wear off with this last stage but you can easily solve that problem by simply ordering a new brush:thumbsup:
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2018 at 10:08 PM
    HellBird likes this.
  15. Jurien72

I do remember being slightly afraid to put paint in my Infinity- but that fear quickly subsided! I didn't pay $320 for a knick knack. I still remember the first pull of that trigger... I was a better airbrusher instantly lol.
  16. Robbyrockett2

I have a word for tools that either just look pretty or just barely get used.....toolry. Youd be surprised how many people ive seen have a garage full of tools for their classic muscle car or resto rod to sit in but i could tell you what shop built their motor, or did their suspension or what shop did all their body work and interior work and sometimes even where they take it to get little tune up stuff done.
  17. Jurien72

There is a video on Youtube of a guy with a big huge Dale Earnhardt Jr. Snap-On toolbox, and its full of every tool Snap-On makes. None of them have ever been used. It has to be over $100k in stuff, but it will never touch a nut or bolt. Oddly enough a lot of people can't understand "why don't you just go buy a car?" Well they don't make the car I want, and for that kinda money I'm not letting someone else have all the fun of putting it together!