Iwata Neo Nozzle Thread

G

Gary Mills

Hi all. I'm sure this is a hopelessly naive post (I'm still fairly new to airbrushing, and this is my first post here), but I have an Iwata Neo CN , and in truth I've had nothing but problems from the off.

I've had it for about 18 months, and performance has been wildly erratic. I'm feeling that a lot of this may be down to my using acrylic paints, mixed with airbrush medium (not ready mixed): the paint clogs very easily, and I can't seem to get more than about 5 minutes use out of the thing before I have to strip it and clean it out. The whole process is extremely time consuming, even to get a small area of colour down.

I thought I may have just about got to grips with paint consistency, but now I've found that my constant cleaning of the airbrush seems to have practically ruined it. Having realised that what I was picking out of the nozzle wasn't dried clumps of paint - but the thread of the actual nozzle itself - I bought a replacement 0.35mm nozzle. Now it seems that I've damaged the inner thread of the nozzle housing inside the main airbrush body as well, as the new nozzle just won't screw on.

Is there any way this can be remedied, short of getting another airbrush (as I'm typing that I think I probably know the answer...)? Can the nozzle housing be replaced, or is there any other way of getting the nozzle on without adversely affecting the performance of the airbrush?

I'm aware that user testimonials for this model are very mixed. If it's curtains for this one, can anyone recommend an alternative beginner's model of a comparable price?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Gary

I have no doubt someone will probably ask you to go and make an introduction int eh introduction section, if you feel like doing that, cool

Anyway I have had the Neo myself and really had no problems with it at all until I dropped it on it's nose and bust the needle and nozzle, as soon as I did that I discovered that it was just as expensive to fix than most mid range Iwata, so I bought a mid range Iwata instead of fixing it, if you have knackered the threads in the body that be be bugger to get right and to honest, not really worth the effort, so if have no choice but to buy another brush with similar size setup your best choice would Iwata eclipse which also has 0.35 nozzle, you can see the models here, they are not too expensive and are good all-rounders, I have the HP-SBS model and love it, I;m sorry if this isn't what you wanted to here, but look on the bright side, you maybe get a nice new brush:)

Well to answer your question NO , just due to how the neo is assembled . The damage is done .
But not knowing where on this planet you live it is harder to recommend a good place you might purchase a better airbrush from a local vender.
http://www.coastairbrush.com/products.asp?cat=791 has classroom used models that they rebuild at a goo price for the work horse of an airbrush the Iwata Eclipse BCS or CS
The Neo was designed more as a beginner brush and has been hit or miss for the users of them.
If you live in the USA 40%off coupon from Hobby lobby can get you into a brand new HP-CS or 40% off at Micheal's art store can get you into a badger .
But this is where a proper introduction would have made giving where to look to buy a new airbrush a lot easier.

Hi Gary. I'm not sure but it seems to me that you are thinning regular acrylic paint with airbrush reducer. This is always going to give you problems as you really need airbrush specific paint. The pigment in regular paint is much to big, and is ground a lot finer for airbrush use, so will always clog the nozzle.

The neo is a brush made for Iwata and not by Iwata - a big distinction. I think it is a way to capture some of the market of folks wanting a cheap brush to try and see if they like it without spending a packet or getting a no name chinese knock off. People do like them as starter brushes (though as you say there are mixed reviews, but most move on to something better pretty quickly). I would say any low end branded brush that has similar features will be better, but although it is a lot more money than the neo, I always recommend the Iwata hp-cs eclipse, an awesome little brush. Perfect for beginners as it's an all rounder, tough as old boots (as long as you don't play javelins with it) and capable of really very fine detail when you get to know it well, so not a brush you will ever grow out of. Most people who buy one and then upgrade, use the upgrade alongside it, not instead of it. IMO the extra money is well worth it, even if you have to save up a little longer, as it will save money in the long run from exactly the issues you are having now.

If you are in the US, print yourself off one of their 40% off vouchers and get yourself down to a Hobby Lobby, you won't regret it.

If you really want to stick with the neo, it may be worth putting out a plea to the forum to see if anyone has a neo body they no longer want, as someone may be willing to ship one to you for the cost of the postage??? Might be worth a shot. But it's money that could be going towards a better brush. :)

Well to answer your question NO , just due to how the neo is assembled . The damage is done .
But not knowing where on this planet you live it is harder to recommend a good place you might purchase a better airbrush from a local vender.
http://www.coastairbrush.com/products.asp?cat=791 has classroom used models that they rebuild at a goo price for the work horse of an airbrush the Iwata Eclipse BCS or CS
The Neo was designed more as a beginner brush and has been hit or miss for the users of them.
If you live in the USA 40%off coupon from Hobby lobby can get you into a brand new HP-CS or 40% off at Micheal's art store can get you into a badger .
But this is where a proper introduction would have made giving where to look to buy a new airbrush a lot easier.

Yes, apologies - I've just posted a little thread in the introduction section. I'm in central UK.

Thanks for your response. I'll have a look at that Coast link.

Thanks guys. You're all more or less confirming what I suspected, but there's some good suggestions here too.

May have to wait a while before I shell out on a replacement....will trust in the Winsor & Newtons in the meantime.

(intro thread posted just now btw)

to avoid future problems use good airbrush paint and dont remove the nozzle unless it is broken .
better yet get a airbrush with a drop in nozzle that will save you a lot of problems

The hp-cs I mentioned before has the drop in nozzle, no threads to worry about. (it looks like 2 pieces but it really isn't meant to come apart, I find it much easier to handle and clean.

It's FUBAR'd best go and get a new brush. they are only Chinese made for iwata so best to steer clear of tHem in the future.

Lee

Does anyone actually know the size of the thread on those nozzles? I have been looking to get a tap for sorting knackered threads.

Does anyone actually know the size of the thread on those nozzles? I have been looking to get a tap for sorting knackered threads.
I'll have to wait until I get into the studio to confirm which, but most nozzles are covered by either an m1.7 or m1.8 tap. Having both will cover most possibilities out there. Exceptions may be a few older ones from Europe...

Back