Iwata power jet safety valve looks odd, need advice

P

Pearliguana

Hi,
I've never actually done any airbrushing, was vaguely interested in trying and by chance happened upon a power jet compressor going cheap.
It all looks OK apart from the safety valve. On diagrams I've seen there's a few bolts and a rod with a ring through one end, presumably to pull out in an emergency?? Anyway on my compressor the ring isn't there and I can't see or feel a hole in the rod where one might have been. I pulled the rod slightly with some pliers and it pulled outwards, feels like it's on a spring, decided against pulling any further in case it triggered the safety valve and messed the thing up irrevocably.
So, what's up with that? Does anyone else with this model have an odd safety valve? I can't find any info online around the safety valves so I thought I'd ask on the first airbrush forum I found, so here we are.

Please help, don't want air compressor tank shrapnel in my brain.

sounds like a pressure relief valve,spring pressure keeps it closed till the pressures builds up enough to lift the valve,some don't have a lifting ring because its really not needed as it automatic

Ah cool, I hope that's the case, I emailed Iwata with a photo and I think they maybe thought I had bought it new in the state it's in. They sent back a very customer servicey email saying they wanted to take it in and evaluate it...

The little pull rings on some safety valves are there in case you decide you want to manually relieve the pressure in the tank (such as emptying it for long term storage).

Back