jagardn's Log - Start Date Oct 12 - 2013

jagardn

Airbrush Acquisition Disorder Patient
I started my membership with this forum when I got back into airbrushing after a 20 year hiatus. I have always been into art since being very young and continued up until I went into the Army. I dropped out for quite a long time, but I missed the being creative and needed my outlet. I am looking to spend at least 10-15 hours a week slinging paint, whether it be practice drills or working on a WIP. I also plan to spend a reasonable amount of time doing research and plan to share my findings along the way. I also plan on sharing my processes for design, planning and execution of my projects.

Awesome for us, as we're gonna get to see the outcome of all that work, and the insight into your processes will be invaluable too. Top banana!

Have to agree with Squishy. You always seem to have great info to share.

Welcome aboard the "drive" train Wayne, one would think that when you love to do something it wouldn't be hard to stay motivated to do but with all of life's twists and turns it isn't all that easy. Thanks to Kev and his bright idea those of us who need a little push/shove to stay active we have this means of gentle reminder to get going. Good luck and remember....we'll be watching!!!! but NO PRESSURE. lol

Tonights creativity was electronic, no painting. This is the technique I used to make the background for my Bio Mech Contest piece.
This is not the actual reference I am using for my bio mech, but will just give an idea how I made mine.

Open a reference image in an editor. I use Pixelmator (Pixelmator), it is a Mac only app, but either Gimp(GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program), or Adobe Photoshop can be used.

Here is the reference.
Background Tutorial Tree IMG_2946.jpg

Use the "Desaturate" function to remove all color from the image, then apply a "Gaussian Blur" until the desired amount of blur is achieved. I created a blur in the background to create a depth of field in the painting.

Desaturated Background Tutorial Tree IMG_2946.jpg

Create a new layer and use the "Generate Clouds" function.
In this case I used blue and black for the clouds.

Clouds Background Tutorial Tree IMG_2946.jpg

On the layer used for the clouds, set the "Blending Mode" according to what you think looks best. You will have to play around with a bunch of different ones until you get the desired effect.

In this case, I set the Blending Mode to "Vivid Light"
Vivid Light Background Tutorial Tree IMG_2946.jpg

I felt that this image still resembled the base image too much so I selected the base image Layer and added a "Motion Blur" effect to distort it.

Motion Blur Background Tutorial Tree IMG_2946.jpg

The final piece gives a blurred background image which gives a grunge feel to your painting.

If you are interested in learning this stuff, GIMP is free and there are tons of tutorials on You Tube.

EDIT: Don't know why the hell those two images got attached as duplicates?

Last edited:
I hate that too but i figured out how to get rid of them.......when posting if you have extra or pics you don't want uploaded just scroll down a bit under the text panel you will find "manage images" just check and delete what you don't want and continue. I used to use Photoshop a lot when i was designing web pages/sites but haven't use it in a while, I felt I was getting too dependent on it for my designs.

I hate that too but i figured out how to get rid of them.......when posting if you have extra or pics you don't want uploaded just scroll down a bit under the text panel you will find "manage images" just check and delete what you don't want and continue. I used to use Photoshop a lot when i was designing web pages/sites but haven't use it in a while, I felt I was getting too dependent on it for my designs.

Thanks, I found it under Advanced. :) Surprisingly that is the first time it has happened to me.

I don't see getting "too dependent" on using a photo editor, just as anything else, it is a tool. I use a combination of freehand sketching, Pixelmator, Inkscape, french curves, compass, etc. Each one serves a purpose in the creativity department. :)

Tonights practice was layering colors. Testing Liquitex Matte Medium as in inner coat clear(50% Matte Medium, 50% Distilled Water), while using Createx Illustration Paints.

I started with some white with a drop of Burnt Umber just to get a base color.
IMG_2959.jpg

The first layer was 4 Drops Wicked Reducer, 4 Drops Trans Base, and 2 Drops Burnt Umber. The same erasing techniques using a Helix electric eraser were used on each side.
The left side will be layers of paint only, the right side, I will spray a layer of Liquitex Matte Medium.

First layer with paint and erasing only, followed by a clear coat on the right side.
IMG_2961.jpg

Second layer, added one drop purple, sprayed another layer, erased both again, and added another layer of clear to the right side.
IMG_2963.jpg

Third layer, another drop of purple paint, sprayed/erased.
IMG_2965.jpg

As you can see in the different layers, the Matte Medium puts a nice layer protective barrier between each darker layer of paint. Notice on the left side how abrupt the eraser marks are, where on the right, the transitions are subtle and the lower layers of paint are still visible. I will be using this technique on future projects because it will add more depth/dimension to my paintings.

Last edited:
Nice one Jeff. Have you tried this with the trans base instead of the matte medium? I may have to . Might make monochrome a bit easier for me. I have ruined a few during the erasing, because I tore the paper , while using bristol or similar. I have Cranston illustration board to try at some time as well as clay board.

Nice one Jeff. Have you tried this with the trans base instead of the matte medium? I may have to . Might make monochrome a bit easier for me. I have ruined a few during the erasing, because I tore the paper , while using bristol or similar. I have Cranston illustration board to try at some time as well as clay board.

Yup, I used some of the Illustration Trans base also, but the binder in it has a slower cure time than the Liquitex. I have not tried the Trans Base after letting it cure for a while.
What I did like about it with the the Matte Medium, is that the layers can be done minutes apart, it is a little more difficult to erase over the medium, but it is more forgiving, so you are less likely to over do it.

Mine was done on Gessoed Masonite. Not sure how it will effect things on paper or bristol.

Man, I haven't done much of excrement for updating this log. I have been spending any time i get behind the airbrush on my Bio Mech piece and I can't post any pictures. :eek-new:
I worked tonight on the final section of my piece and some detail work. All that is left to go is some final detail work and shifting the final tones and shadows.

Tonight on the detail work, I was using my Infinity with the .15 nozzle. I fall in love with that airbrush more every time I use it. I was amazed at the amount of control I had when using it. Things that I normally would need a shield to accomplish were no problem doing freehand.

This reminds me of those people that can sculpt / carve a whole city scape on the head of a pin or toothpick.....incredible.

Man, my piece isn't that small, but thanks!
With your velocity and the right reductions, you can do the same. :) Most of it was done with the Krome.

that's very insane.... was it hard to hold the AB and magnifying glass?

Nice control man. I can get that at times with the krome and the micron. Just not often. The nucklehead holding it is the issue not the brushes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nice control man. I can get that at times with the krome and the micron. Just not often. The nucklehead holding it is the issue not the brushes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks! I was just spending some time testing reductions with ETAC.
Yep, most times it's the nut behind the wheel that is the problem. :)
The stuff I've been able to do with the Infinity and Krome has held me off from getting a Micron....for now anyway. :)

Hi Jeff mate, apologies for not checking in to your log sooner, it's great to see you have been putting in some good time with the AB!
Any time spent whether it be on a full art piece or just messing with the toys doing tests is all quality time spent in my eyes, the quality of your work just seems to be getting better and better at a terrific rate, which shows you are putting in the hours.
I myself have not put anything up for October yet as the comp piece was the only thing( apart from the blue cat) that I got completed, and for obvious reasons I cannot show that yet:).
I agree with what you say about the Krome and what you can do with it, and I was in the same camp......until I got a Micron CM-C+☺️, still use the Krome (occasionally) but the Micron just does what a Micron does, and that's all I need to say about that:)
Keep up the cracking work mate, it's always a pleasure to see what your next piece will be

Kev

Hi Jeff mate, apologies for not checking in to your log sooner, it's great to see you have been putting in some good time with the AB!
Any time spent whether it be on a full art piece or just messing with the toys doing tests is all quality time spent in my eyes, the quality of your work just seems to be getting better and better at a terrific rate, which shows you are putting in the hours.
I myself have not put anything up for October yet as the comp piece was the only thing( apart from the blue cat) that I got completed, and for obvious reasons I cannot show that yet:).
I agree with what you say about the Krome and what you can do with it, and I was in the same camp......until I got a Micron CM-C+☺️, still use the Krome (occasionally) but the Micron just does what a Micron does, and that's all I need to say about that:)
Keep up the cracking work mate, it's always a pleasure to see what your next piece will be

Kev

I figured it was because you just didn't like me. ;)
Thanks for the compliments, I do put a decent amount of time in even with my crazy schedule.
I will have a Micron some day, I almost pulled the trigger a few times already.

Back