jagardn's Log - Start Date Oct 12 - 2013

Just added the shadows to the white of the eye and some more red and green tones to the shadows surrounding the eye.
It was a bit cold to stay painting in the garage for a long time. Ok, it's only 39 degrees here in Florida, but that's about 30 degrees colder than a normal winter day. :)

IMG_3539.jpg

I have to agree with squishy gal on the makeup and the highlights in it.
Killer eye.

How many years have you had Cleopatra tied up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Since I just love spending money....I just ordered a few new erasers from JetPens.com - Japanese Pens and Stationery
If you do a search for erasers, you can see what they have.
I got these to add some more variety to what I can do with my erasing techniques.

JetPen Erasers IMG_3542.jpg

The one on the left is a retractable ink eraser embedded with Fiberglass, the eraser itself is 3mm thick and 10mm wide.

The middle one is 2.3mm in diameter and I'd consider it a hard eraser, but not abrasive. The do make one with a rectangular eraser also in 2.5x5mm.

The box of erasers are made for their own branded electric eraser, they are very aggressive. They do not fit either of the Helix electric's but do fit the Sakura.

I'll get to trying them out probably some time this weekend.

Is the Sakura really that good? I have a newer Helix and a Derwent. And many various other erasers.

Is the Sakura really that good? I have a newer Helix and a Derwent. And many various other erasers.

I mostly use it for hard lines and sharp edges. In my current eye piece, the Sakura was used for all of the white highlights on the upper part of the makeup, the iris highlight, and the bright highlight on the bottom edge of the white of the eye. Could I get by without it, yes.

I have 3 electric erasers.
Old style Helix(Black) - the eraser is sharpened to a beveled point for somewhat softer narrow highlights/textures.
New style Helix(Blue) - used for mid sized softer textures.
Sakura - I keep the edge flat like a new eraser, this allows me to use the very edge and get super sharp bright highlights. (it rotates the opposite direction of the Helix Erasers, just something to be aware of)

Electric Erasers IMG_3543.jpg

Last edited:
My Derwent rotates opposite of my Helix. The Helix is stronger than the Derwent, but I like the control of the derwent more, was looking to set one up with a harder eraser, but now it seems they do not make any. Except for the ones you listed that fit the. Sakura. Hmmmmmm.....

Did you order direct or from another source?

Did you order direct or from another source?

Prime Baby! I get almost everything from Amazon. LOL

Amazon.com: Sakura SE2000 Electric Eraser Kit, Black: Everything Else

Even the stock erasers are a pretty hard PVC, they are still pretty aggressive, even though they are not abrasive.
The button on it is a hell of a lot softer than the Helix, and its a lot closer to the eraser, so it is easier for detail work.

Oh, don't forget your 60 pack of erasers. haha

Amazon.com: Sakura Electric Eraser Refill White 60/Pk: Arts, Crafts & Sewing

Yeah I found them on Amazon. I think I saw these in a previous search, but not knowing the quality , I was hesitant. I spend enough money already.

I should pull the trigger on prime. I get a ton if stuff all year from Amazon. Not just for airbrushing.

Yeah I found them on Amazon. I think I saw these in a previous search, but not knowing the quality , I was hesitant. I spend enough money already.

No kidding! If I cancelled my Prime membership, I'd probably save a few thousand a year.

Done. Why the hell are the eyelashes always the last part?
Fine dagger strokes scare the hell out of me going over a light flesh tone.

IMG_3568.jpg

Man, I am still loving my Evolution AL Plus. It is a total joy to paint with. :)

Done. Why the hell are the eyelashes always the last part?
Fine dagger strokes scare the hell out of me going over a light flesh tone.

I hear that!

Haven't posted to my log for a while. I have been just practicing and working on some other graphic design stuff with my Wacom Tablet. Things have also been busy at work, and family visiting. Hopefully I will be back in to the swing of things again. I found a great reference on the web of an Ogre, it had tons of texture. I am trying some new techniques for erasing/scratching and color layering. Here is where it is at so far. Need to get the values close then on to tinting with color.
IMG_3755.jpg

Back